joanna newsom " Ys " (1 Viewer)

We
Yeah, really enjoying it so far. I'm definitely going to check out that London show.
Saw them in a small venue in Dalston. Where the fucking wall fell apart and a huge chunk of plaster fell on me and my lady's head during the second half of the liverpool match. (They were steeped by the way. Why can't they manage to actually play for 90 minutes without looking like nervous wrecks ?)
Anyway they suffered from the usual sound problems. Sometimes I feel like rounding up every single guitarist and soundman I can find and beating them around the skull until they realise that treble is as important as anything else and therefore not a bad thing or a taboo subject. They should all be forced to sell their tube amps and play transistors for a while. "but you can hear the warm rounded tube sound on the recording" Yeah, but live it sounds like mud because you haven't got a fucking clue how to set up your amp you dick.

It's getting to be ridiculous. Mumbling, muffled bassy growl from all the guitars and then crystal clear vocals snare and cymbals soaring miles above and out in front of the rest of it. Don't set your guitar up in isolation for fuck sake. It may sound too "hi-endy" to you, but, the bass will fill in that end of the spectrum so if you set it up without the bass there it ends up sounding fucking pointless.

Anyway that aside they played the two most straight ahead and boringly "eh...punky?" songs first but then hit their stride. Only played for 25 minutes, it was an album launch so they had loads of mates there and clearly didn't give a fuck. Decent enough though, if they turn up in Dublin they're worth a look.

We

Saw them in a small venue in Dalston. Where the fucking wall fell apart and a huge chunk of plaster fell on me and my lady's head during the second half of the liverpool match. (They were steeped by the way. Why can't they manage to actually play for 90 minutes without looking like nervous wrecks ?)
Anyway they suffered from the usual sound problems. Sometimes I feel like rounding up every single guitarist and soundman I can find and beating them around the skull until they realise that treble is as important as anything else and therefore not a bad thing or a taboo subject. They should all be forced to sell their tube amps and play transistors for a while. "but you can hear the warm rounded tube sound on the recording" Yeah, but live it sounds like mud because you haven't got a fucking clue how to set up your amp you dick.

It's getting to be ridiculous. Mumbling, muffled bassy growl from all the guitars and then crystal clear vocals snare and cymbals soaring miles above and out in front of the rest of it. Don't set your guitar up in isolation for fuck sake. It may sound too "hi-endy" to you, but, the bass will fill in that end of the spectrum so if you set it up without the bass there it ends up sounding fucking pointless.

Anyway that aside they played the two most straight ahead and boringly "eh...punky?" songs first but then hit their stride. Only played for 25 minutes, it was an album launch so they had loads of mates there and clearly didn't give a fuck. Decent enough though, if they turn up in Dublin they're worth a look.
amazing! Your commitment to your hatred of poor Joanna never ceases to impress me. I saw a review of these somewhere, from some semi-respectable publication (the guardian maybe - is that respectable?) where they were raving about the music but were saying to change that god-awful name.

I get you on the sound thing. Not like theres anything even that complicated about their sound. A couple of guitars, drums, a bass, a couple of mic's. Surely that shit should be the basic for any soundman, even an incompetent one.

amazing! Your commitment to your hatred of poor Joanna never ceases to impress me. I saw a review of these somewhere, from some semi-respectable publication (the guardian maybe - is that respectable?) where they were raving about the music but were saying to change that god-awful name.

I get you on the sound thing. Not like theres anything even that complicated about their sound. A couple of guitars, drums, a bass, a couple of mic's. Surely that shit should be the basic for any soundman, even an incompetent one.
I don't think this was solely down to the soundman The room was very small so you could hear the amps before they got to the PA. It was way to rounded to cut through the Soundman would have had to add something that wasn't there at source. It happens all the time over here. Lads think they're great with their vintage gear but the whole set up needs revising because the old stuff needs a servicing or else it just becomes really blunt sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back