joanna newsom " Ys " (2 Viewers)

Its great.

There are some fantastic moments in the album.
Its also a measure of a good album that even someone such as I with a short attention span can listen attentively to a 17 min song and love every min of it.

Listening to it at the mo. Great stuff. I understand why her voice wouldnt be to everyones taste though. She's bloody gorgeous aswell. That Mr Smog is a very lucky man. Bastard.

indeed. she thanks all the usuals in the inlay card. and then she gives 'special thanks' to 'Billy,.......'

wonder whether Billy is Bill Of Smog. he did cat power too. what a bastard. a complete bastard

id happily receive a con-job from Joanna Newsom!!

anywho, its not all hype. i witnessed the new materiel live and it was oral sex

Ugg. Keep yer drooling sexual desires about this little lady to yerselves! Her beautiful music doesn't deserve to be sullied by raging erections ;)

I liked Milk-eyed Mender. I am a big Van Dyke Parks fan.

But I think that on Ys his arrangements are waaaaaay too intrusive, and the songs go on waaaaaay too long. About as ill-judged a collaboration as Phil Spector producing Leonard Cohen...

Just my 2c worth...

Ugg. Keep yer drooling sexual desires about this little lady to yerselves! Her beautiful music doesn't deserve to be sullied by raging erections ;)

mine's not raging. in fact, it's not in any way angry at all.

ATP??

Man it was so great. :) :D :) :D

yeah. unreal.

But I think that on Ys his arrangements are waaaaaay too intrusive, and the songs go on waaaaaay too long. About as ill-judged a collaboration as Phil Spector producing Leonard Cohen...

Just my 2c worth...

maybe Van Dykes arrangements are a bit too intrusive but i think they compliment the harp nicely. maybe a bit lower in the mix. marginally. either way, shabba!

Just my 2c worth...

I pretty much agree with this, unfortunately.. I loved The Milkeyed Mender a whole lot but I find Ys tough going.. I wouldn't have anything against the really long songs if they had the same level of potency as her first batch of stuff but I think they drift a whole lot, there are sections where I find I'm either getting bored, or else cringing at how twee the arrangements are (her first album got called twee all the time, but it really had a kind of modernity and starkness to it that I don't think Ys has).. Part of the fun with the first album was the way the complex harp parts would evoke a whole arrangement in your head, but actually having an orchestra seems to obscure the whole thing with a kind of unneccesary sludge.. Anyway, I'm hoping I'll come around to it eventually. She's doing gigs with an orchestra at the moment, some UK dates being announced so hopefully they'll make it over here at some point, maybe those huge songs come across better in a live setting.

I expected Park's arrangement to be more intrusive then they were. I've only had the chance to half listen to the album once driving home on the way home on Friday night and the only song I really got a chance to listen to Emily before I started to get preoccupied about not crashing into things and I thought that song was fantastic.

even i like this and i'd usually run a mile from this type of thing. that's saying something*

*probably that it's shite

i think its very good on first listen but i then i really like all of her songs i've heard. van dyke parks.... good arranger but lets not go over the top here - 'baby' from rufus wainwright's first album. thats a fucking amazing arrangement. dunno why i mentioned that.

Just my 2c worth...

Death of a ladies man was/is a great record. I doubt the same could be said for this twee, sticky out eared drivel!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back