joanna newsom " Ys " (2 Viewers)

Death of a ladies man was/is a great record. I doubt the same could be said for this twee, sticky out eared drivel!!!

You doubt the same could be said? If it's your opinion, it either can or can't.

I heard Emily ages ago, a live version, just her and her harp, and I thought the song was so beautiful. So maybe it's just because i'm used to it, but I do think the orchestration etc is a little bit off-putting, to say the least. Haven't really heard the rest of the album yet properly, but it sounds fantastic. Hearing the lyrics of Emily properly is a good thing. I think she's probably one of the strongest lyricists in pop music right now, although really the competition isn't up to much.

I would like to reiterate how brilliant this album is.

Seconded.

I can inderstand how Ys might put people off: It's unconventional, her voice can be painfully high pitched, Van Dyke Park's orchestration can sound like Mary bloody Poppins at times, and her music has since been used in some especially irratating tv ads.

But it rewards patience. Listen to it on your own - put a bit of effort into it and it's a winner. Maybe start with her 'Joanna Newsom and the Ys Street Band' e.p. It's got a deadly mad complicated (pure ear candy) gypsy folk backing instead of the twee V.D.P. Sound of Music vibe of Ys. She's a gifted lyricist and a smart lady for her years with a unique sound, a voice that gets more powerful with each recording and a knack for spinning crazy complicated/simple yarns.

Her song 'Colleen' from that e.p: !!!::clef::!!!

Can't wait to see what she comes up with next, I reckon she'll be around for a while anyway.

Seeing her perform Sawdust And Diamonds live is really something else. Its such a totally intense songs, I can't understand how her hands don't just cramp up into fists after about 5 minutes of it.

As for all this shit about middle earth and elves.... I mean, there's nothing actually like that in the lyrics. I admit the cover is a bit bogey but I mean, she doesn't actually indulge in any of that Led Zeppelin shite in the words of the album.

Scutter - there's two new songs floating about on the internet, one is called Esame an the other one I think isn't titled propoerly yet but is probably referred to as "Barbara" as far as I can tell (thats what the MP3 tag has any way). The Esame one is really really really good. Not as familiar with the second one.

Have you heard her version of Ca' The Yowes To The Knowes? It some Scottish folk ditty (possibly Rabbie Burns, possibly just assuming that or making it up). Really good too.

P.S. I just googled it, it is Robert Burns.

I'm going to see her on Sunday. Deadly! I saw her four times last year with and without the orchestra. Deadly every time.

Well after the fact, I got this, and got to love it. The arrangements are a bit intrusive, the songs are a bit long, and her voice can be grating on my stereo (though not on my headphones), but "Only skin" makes my heart turn over

Seeing her perform Sawdust And Diamonds live is really something else. Its such a totally intense songs, I can't understand how her hands don't just cramp up into fists after about 5 minutes of it.

As for all this shit about middle earth and elves.... I mean, there's nothing actually like that in the lyrics. I admit the cover is a bit bogey but I mean, she doesn't actually indulge in any of that Led Zeppelin shite in the words of the album.

Scutter - there's two new songs floating about on the internet, one is called Esame an the other one I think isn't titled propoerly yet but is probably referred to as "Barbara" as far as I can tell (thats what the MP3 tag has any way). The Esame one is really really really good. Not as familiar with the second one.

Have you heard her version of Ca' The Yowes To The Knowes? It some Scottish folk ditty (possibly Rabbie Burns, possibly just assuming that or making it up). Really good too.

P.S. I just googled it, it is Robert Burns.

Haven't heard them. Will have a look and see if I can get a copy of them.

cheers

y's took me a couple of listens but i really like it now. great album and good to hear something different from the first.

Is Ys the one with Monkey & Bear and Emily on it? I love that album. I don't love or like or know anything about any music that could be categorised alongside it, but it's an incredible piece of work. I love the busy arrangements, the jumpy strings, even the Lisa Simpson voice. Have no idea what she's on about.

Yes it is. Its fairly unique alright to my ears. I recall reading a lot of comparisons to Van Dyke Park's Song Cycle album but I can't really hear the similarities between them beyond his signature string sound, which is also soaked all over stuff like Rufus Wainwright's eponymous debut also and to be honest I think is nice but probably slightly superficial, given how great the Ys songs when stripped down to her touring band.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back