Jim O'Rourke (3 Viewers)

Thebeard

Been listening to Insignificance loads lately, fuckin' brilliant album. I love his voice and the production is quality. Anybody else like this guys albums?

:heart:
Morganator

Yus.

I like the 'Halfway To A Threeway' ep the mostest.

Amazing show by him in Whelan's a couple of years ago with Loren Connors.

Yeah i have the 'Halfway to a Threeway ep' too, it's fantastic. I have the Loose Fur album 'Born in the USA' with Jeff Tweedy and Glen Kotche. Also a fantastic album. Are any of his other side projects any use?

Been listening to Insignificance loads lately, fuckin' brilliant album. I love his voice and the production is quality.

i mate of mine helped o'rourke record this album (and the first loose fur one) and says working with him is fantastic. also, he was able to furnish me with nerdy guitar info too! sweet!

i mate of mine helped o'rourke record this album (and the first loose fur one) and says working with him is fantastic. also, he was able to furnish me with nerdy guitar info too! sweet!

No way, thats class. He seems pretty nerdy when it comes to tech stuff. Probably why he's so good at it. Is the 1st Loose Fur album good?

"Bad Timing" is my favourite,. Closely followed by "Halfway to a Threeway". Not too fond of "Eureka". I think "Infignificance" is much better.

Anyone have any of his electronic stuff? "I'm Happy, and I'm Singing, and a 1,2,3,4" is excellent.

I'm Happy, and I'm Singing.... on mego is my favourite. The last track is absolutely gorgeous. I also quite like the dronier stuff like Disengage and Happy Days.

As far as the 'side-projects', you have to check out Gastr Del Sol, his duo with David Grubbs. Camofleur and Upgrade and Afterlife are amazing.

Anyone heard the one he did with Merzbow and Carlos Giffoni last year? If it's more O'Rourke than Merzbow I might give it a shot.

eureka's my favourite so it is

Mine too.

Are any of his other side projects any use?

Sonic somethingorother, some noiseniks from New York. Husband and wife band who don't know how to tune their instruments properly. They're alright.

There was a pretty lenghty Joanna Newsom interview in one of the Foggy Notions where she talked about him doing the mix for The Ys. She made him sound like a total genius.

Mine too.

Sonic somethingorother, some noiseniks from New York. Husband and wife band who don't know how to tune their instruments properly. They're alright.

quote]

That stuff is just noise.

Mine too.

There was a pretty lenghty Joanna Newsom interview in one of the Foggy Notions where she talked about him doing the mix for The Ys. She made him sound like a total genius.

He's left Sonic Youth again, but I don't really know what difference he made whilst there specifically but New York City Ghosts and Flowers and Murray Street are brilliant albums.

Most of his other catalogue is electronic stuff right?

The Nicholas Roeg themed albums (Bad Timing, Eureka and Insignificance) and the Half Way To A Threeway EP are all totally brilliant. Eureka would be my favourite too, head to toe its brilliantly done. I'm huge fan of Movie On The Way Down.

I always get the feeling that Jim O'Rourke isn't going to make another album in the same "traditional song/instrumentation" vein because people enjoy these other ones too much.

Also... how cool is the ending of the last song on Bad Timing - its name escapes me now, but its the one with the brass and slide guitar outro. Totally insane after all the Fahey-style guitaring.

As far as the 'side-projects', you have to check out Gastr Del Sol, his duo with David Grubbs. Camofleur and Upgrade and Afterlife are amazing.

Yeah, definitely.

My favourite of his side-projects, and probably my favourite of everything he's been involved in (that I've heard), is the Brise-Glace album When in Vanitas... Brilliant.

i think the first loose fur album is a million times better than the second.

easily, the second one was a bit poo really

I love Eureka and Halfway, but found Insignificance really boring in comparrsion, it has two modes, ironic southern rock and folk picking with glitches... zzz... zzz... zzz...

Bad Timing is amazing also

check out Gastr Del Sol too

I always get the feeling that Jim O'Rourke isn't going to make another album in the same "traditional song/instrumentation" vein because people enjoy these other ones too much.

there is talk of a massive Bacharach-esque album in the works for years now... fingers crossed!

Has anyone sat through the entireity of happy days more than once? A friend of mine edited it down to a more digestable 20 or so minutes one time.

never heard it, but I was pretty pissed with Terminal Pharmacy... absolutely nothing going on with it at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back