Jim O'Rourke (1 Viewer)

Has anyone sat through the entireity of happy days more than once? A friend of mine edited it down to a more digestable 20 or so minutes one time.

I can't understand why anyone would do that. Either listen to it, or don't listen it, or listen to it as much as you want of it. I haven't done it more than once either. I foolishly kept expecting something to happen. Duh!

women of the world, take over
cause if you don't
the world
will come to an end

Beautiful track but not actually O'Rourke's own lyrics - those lines are from an Ivor Cutler poem from this album....

200px-IvorCutlerPrivilege.jpg

easily, the second one was a bit poo really

I love Eureka and Halfway, but found Insignificance really boring in comparrsion, it has two modes, ironic southern rock and folk picking with glitches... zzz... zzz... zzz...

Bad Timing is amazing also

check out Gastr Del Sol too

I recall he did an interview or something where he joked about how he put the term "Southern Rock" into his press release to see how many music journalists would swallow it and repeat the phrase.... and to be honest, "Southern Rock"? really? Like Skynyrd/Allman Bros-style? Dya think?

Gastr Del Sol shit is really really weird. David Grubbs voice can be quite grating I think, but some of the guitar shit is totally brilliant. Work From Smoke especially. The Seasons Reverse...mmmmm.

Beautiful track but not actually O'Rourke's own lyrics - those lines are from an Ivor Cutler poem from this album....

200px-IvorCutlerPrivilege.jpg

Its an Ivor Cutler song as well I think, I've heard him singing... with an extra line that goes

"Men have had their shot,
and look at what we've got
So women of the world, take over....

But I think the first bit Prelude To 110 of 220 is Jim O'Rourke's own thing.

and to be honest, "Southern Rock"? really? Like Skynyrd/Allman Bros-style? Dya think?

maybe I just got sub-conciously influenced, but yeah the first track has that mad sort of chicken pickin' riff, then the stomper one... I see it as much more of a take on the stuff from Wilco school, so I guess Country Rock was more correct... either way, dull album IMHO... the 'freak out' at the end is the low point

Gastr Del Sol shit is really really weird. David Grubbs voice can be quite grating I think, but some of the guitar shit is totally brilliant. Work From Smoke especially. The Seasons Reverse...mmmmm.

Some of it is pretty weird, but I think it's all Good Tunes at the heart of it... Most Blues Are Subtilted is one of my favourite songs

for example,
I was sleeping,
subtitled I don't know,
how long...

good old fashioned stoner nonsense

Must dig out Camafleur,haven't listened to it in ages.Has anyone heard his Beach Boys cover Fall Breaks And Back To Winter (Spring Breaks And Back To Winter)?
Its amazing .|..|

I have, but didn't realise it was a Beach Boys thing at all. I've heard a couple of his electronic things but I generally find them hit and miss.

Edit: I should've mentioned I liked that one, and the another one called Call Up On Your Sisters... I wonder if I still have them on my computer.

Also has anyone heard his Bill Fay cover of "Pictures Of Adolf" done with Glenn Kotche for Thurston Moore's Protest Records website at the time of Iraq invasion? Its also delicious.

is there nothing he can't do? he can even speak japanese:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I want one of those tenori-on things.

Must dig out Camafleur,haven't listened to it in ages.Has anyone heard his Beach Boys cover Fall Breaks And Back To Winter (Spring Breaks And Back To Winter)?
Its amazing .|..|
No but i have heard his cover of the Spice Girls song Viva Forever which is fucking deadly. He really makes it sound like a good song.

It was "Happy Days" that got me into him, in this shot of "julian donkey boy" with Happy Days droning on like its coming from the troubled titled character's head.
001.jpg

Great ep and great film.
The second Loose Furs album was so disappointing. For me the first loose furs LP is the best thing Jeff Tweedy was ever been involved with.

Loving "The Visitor". Wasn't too impressed through laptop speakers, stuck it on a cd and it sounds beautiful.

My estimation of O'Rourke went right down when he started slagging Mayo Thompson and making out that he basically made the Red Krayola albums that he produced himself.

Mayo Thompson = bona fide genius
Jim O'Rourke = capable, often derivative

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back