Jim Carroll in the Ticket (1 Viewer)

aoboa said:
Yeah but on the same hand you've got bands like Mogwai who should appeal to the same small audience who did.

Not talking about s**t bands. Talking about extremely average bands who network ;)
yeah, you're right... can't really argue with that. mogwai are seriously lame though. it's at times like this that i'm really happy i went to college and can rely on something else like this job i'm in which i hate. d'oh! so, tell me more about this 'networking' ;)

Latex lizzie said:
Is it a fact though? I'd love to see some stats on this..not having a go..just curious.
I'd imagine Satanta would make up at least half the signings.

i think its all about location. If we're talking "making it" in the sense of being huge and selling 200,000 records then its a case of 10% hard graft, 90% good luck. And the better the location, the more likely you are to make good contacts.

torpid said:
Yeah, just get your finger outta me ass wud ye
what the fuck is going on here??? yo, dreadlock boy, you're keeping us out of the charts with that stupid haircut!!!

it's all about going driking with journalists and having connections, isn't it... like it's actually all about that. it's easy to pedal muck, it has to be. man, i wish mogwai was here right now, i'd make a network between my foot and their asses. mogwai are bigger in the US now than trans am... and that's because the US looks to the UK music press. trans am are a gazillion times better than mogwai... man, i hate mogwai. and i hate this thread.

I wouldn't say it's any easier to pedal muck than non-muck

I'll tell you what IS easy though - giving out about it.

Get some fresh air, people. Go bowling. Get your hair done. It's much better than this.

just out of interest has anyone written or mailed Jim Carroll on this subject?

or have y'all just bitched about it on a message board to each other?

I'm off to get a bowl hair cut then collect the clippings as they fall and fill my pockets with fresh hair. Just like snaky said.

scanners.jpg

guy from scanners: "ARGGHGGGGHGHGHGGGHGHGHGGhghgHGHGHGGHgH"

yo's

andrew

Pantone247 said:
yeah but we all know he meant "bands I'm friends with"

if you're serious about this... man. sad days.

i meant any decent hardworking band in ireland playin any genre of music would have a better chance of playing/releasing music for a living in britain or the u.s. because the infrastructure is there. a band like the libertines wouldn't have been looked sideways at in dublin. there just isn't the interest from industry or socially. and by all accounts they're not great shakes.

snap-apple said:
if you're serious about this... man. sad days.

???

okay... I'm not serious.... but if I was I'd doubt it'd be 'sad days'... :confused:

anyhow I'm still not convinced that Irish bands are damned by there geographical location... or by Jim Carrols evil steel fist of hatred... I'm pretty sure if you look at the rate of English bands signed to 'substantial record deals' or even just making a living from music (most of yer favourite indei bands probably temp in offices between gigs, Mark Ibold from Pavement did) over population (55 million) against Irelands measily 3 million I really doubt it'd be any different.

The only creedence I could give any of this thinking is that bands end up playing the same venues and clubs, in front of the same people and everyone, bands included, gets bored really quickly.

Shnake said:
I wouldn't say it's any easier to pedal muck than non-muck

I'll tell you what IS easy though - giving out about it.

Get some fresh air, people. Go bowling. Get your hair done. It's much better than this.
you can pedal both. no one ever gained anything by over estimating the intelligence of the general public. what other things can i say? oh yeah, stop acting cool... there's photos of you in a white sheet holding a sewing machine. man... man... lame isn't the word... i feel weird now thinking about *schmak*-ing you, big lambchop head on ye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back