Jim Carroll in the Ticket (2 Viewers)

Read the whole Jim Carroll article today, and found it lacklustre and sloppily argued. Normally, I love a bit of provocation, and it's all fine juicy stuff as long as he's slagging off thumped central, but when he gets the chance to sketch out what he thinks Dublin bands should actually be doing, Carroll completely bottles it. Down at the end of the article he has a short, slickly written paragraph setting out his perscriptions for irish bands. These are either so self-evident that anyone who's moved their amps out of their bedroom has already complied with them, or so woolly it's impossible to say whether any given band is fulfilling them or not. It's all capped off when Carroll tells us Dublin bands "shouldn't be afraid of" appealing to a wider audience. "Shouldn't be afraid of": this phrase drives me demented. It's a big whooping siren of mendacity. In practice, very few people over the age of 12 refuse to do something because they are afraid of it. If a journalist is any good, they'll spend a bit of time figuring out why rational, intelligent people are refusing do something that appears, at first sight, to be in their interests. In fact, this is usually where they'll find the meat of their story.

Afterwards, I was left wondering why Carroll wrote the article in the first place-what was the link between Franz ferdinand and Dublin bands? Maybe he genuinely wants to give Dublin a kick up the arse, and if so, fair play to him, but I couldn't help shading out the following scenario:

Carroll gets invited to a Franz Ferdinand beano; he enjoys it, and promises to give it positive exposure. But he can't sort out an interview to peg it to, and there's no appetite for making it part of a feature on, I don't know, skinny thirty-something glasgow bands. And there's no way Carroll's coming straight out to praise Franz Ferdinand- he earns his meat and potatoes bigging up the likes of Matmos and Fourtet, he wouldn't be left with a shred of credibility. So he enlists the Dublin music scene. By using FF as a stalking horse to bait the likes of the Jimmy Cake, and praising what they do relative to what Dublin bands do, he can say nice things about FF without really putting himself behind them in any way. Plus, with any luck, he generates a bit of controversy, seven pages of comments on thumped, etc, etc.

sort of sorry for reviving this thread but oh well

anyone see yesterday's ticket. a little jibe for thumped. hurray! talking in his column about his column and what a naughty column it was it he described his recent article on Dublin bands as 'playful thumping of Dublin bands and their inadaquacies' . he then mentioned that criticism recieved re: the article as coming from (i think) 'the usual idiots'.

i'm sure he meant pricks though!

egg_ said:
d.o.b. I went to see some French film in the Screen during the week and the male lead in it looks very like you
Thought you might like to know
Cyrano De Bergerac?

rothko said:
And you know what?
I think he's kinda right too.

I disagree, however, with the 3 bands he singled out.
Especially The Chalets who, for me, are the most interesting band in dublin
by FAR.

Oh well...

I agree. The Chalets are FAR from mediocre. An exciting band, actually going places. Thank Jayzuz.

<typo

d.o.b said:

anyone see yesterday's ticket. a little jibe for thumped. hurray! talking in his column about his column and what a naughty column it was it he described his recent article on Dublin bands as 'playful thumping of Dublin bands and their inadaquacies' . he then mentioned that criticism recieved re: the article as coming from (i think) 'the usual idiots'.

yeah i noticed that...
loves his controversey, however slight.

d.o.b said:

Isn't it interesting (read: stupid) that the Irish Times have a writer who seems by all accounts to have nothing but conptempt and petty bitchiness for the national music scene actually covering the national music scene.

Like having a fundamentalist Muslin write a travel guide to New York

cant argue

franz ferdinand are so fucking shit it pains me. And that crap Take Me Out song always reminds me of Emmerdale cos it was playing in the Wolfpack during one episode, and every time i hear it now, i get flashbacks to Charity's horrible, horrible teeth

Take Me Out is great and I really like Franz Ferdinand.
Carry on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back