Jim Carroll in the Ticket (4 Viewers)

Liadain said:
was he the one who said "the jimmy cake and the chalets and the tycho brahe are the ultimate in lame" or something like that...didn't read the whole thing but that sentence caught my eye over my breakfast.
those bands aren't lame! well maybe j. cake is a little lame... joke!!!

maybe the examples of the irish bands that he used weren't the best but i agree with the sentiment of the article and his general criticisms of the back-patting in the "scene"

i wonder what he'd say about the giraffe running cd... he probably wouldn't even dirty his mits listening to it... i'd say he'd give it an amazing* review though.

*as in "how on earth someone never told this band to just stop is beyond me..." it would be nice to read it in a paper though.

Reason Number 2345y9q23544toirwtuwot396 that I do read the Irish Times

Like Kevin Myers, Jim Carroll often writes robust, bracing, exciting, ofetn ludicrous, occasionaly wrong, uncomfortable and sometimes deeply true articles.

And it annoys pepole.

And everyone bitches about it.

And it's fun.

And you know what?
I think he's kinda right too.

I disagree, however, with the 3 bands he singled out.
Especially The Chalets who, for me, are the most interesting band in dublin
by FAR.

Oh well...

the jimmy cake and the chalets and the tycho brahe are the ultimate in lame
maybe he meant that we are the ultimate in lame, the fabric (damn, can't do accents in this thing). you know us and our habit of swanning around in glamorous evening wear.

must get a copy, these articles are always a laugh.

I think this is about the fifth such article he's writen over the last 12 years or so.
AFAIR, the first one was called 'Dublin is Dead' in the Dublin Event Guide. Puppy Love Bomb adopted the title for their t-shirts (or maybe it was the other way around).

".....leaving aside the swathe of singer songwriter types who are steering their own good ships and the mysterious sounds coming from the other end of the N4 and the N7, Dublin Rock continues to exist, by and large, to celebrate its inaequacies. Those who don't swap the limitations of the local circuit for bigger challenges elsewhere are doomed to nights in the pub, bitching with other scenesters about what might have been.
It doesn't help that such triumphs of mediocrity as The Jimmy Cake, The Chalets and The Tycho Brahe are praised to the rafters by fans-with-typewriters. By not pointing out that these acts don't have the creative wherewithal to make a significant statement, such commentators are doing us all a disservice.
What we need is a sea-change. we don't want bands with business plans, but we'd welcome some musical ambition and attitude...."

hag said:
fuck, is that shit still going on? jesus guys, give it a rest, eh?
how about this, i give it a rest and you don't release a Giraffe Running cd
then everyone's happy

he's totally right. very few dublin bands, if any, would last kissing time outside of dublin. my favourite dublin band at the moment is united bible studies. and that boxes song where he says "asshole" over and over. and belch blanket by the chalets. i dig the tychos too. that's about it. jimmy cake were totally screwed by the sound in the village the last time they played... if i was in the jimmy cake, i'd seriously consider not playing there unless something can be done about it. great band, i love them, but their sound was horrific in the village last time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back