Jim Carroll in the Ticket (1 Viewer)

Speaking of non-mediocre music...
I haerd the track Waiting Room submitted for the Road Relish single.
Fantastic piece of music, great vocals, great production... one of the best things I've heard in ages.
Must buy their album.

hag said:
if i was in the jimmy cake, i'd seriously consider not playing there unless something can be done about it. great band, i love them, but their sound was horrific in the village last time.
yeah, getting kind of pissed off with playing there for various reasons.

aoboa said:
Fantastic piece of music, great vocals, great production... one of the best things I've heard in ages.
Must buy their album.
cork's always been better at music than dublin.

Here, I don't believe that this Carroll guy actually has an opinion about this stuff. As aoboa points he's been writing the same article for about a decade. It basically goes "All Dublin bands are shit ...... here's an example of some band that they should be like ... carry on waffling about whoever flavour of the month types he has been told are cool by record company/PR people".

If Franz Ferdinand were a local band and The Chalets were from Scotland, signed to Domino records, and pushed by poweful and influential PR companies, then it'd be the other way around. Isn't that obvious?

As I said earlier, local bands dont pay his wages.

Here, everyone knows this so I'll just shut up.

Dont get me started on Boyd .....

hugh said:
Here, I don't believe that this Carroll guy actually has an opinion about this stuff. As aoboa points he's been writing the same article for about a decade. It basically goes "All Dublin bands are shit ...... here's an example of some band that they should be like ... carry on waffling about whoever flavour of the month types he has been told are cool by record company/PR people".

If Franz Ferdinand were a local band and The Chalets were from Scotland, signed to Domino records, and pushed by poweful and influential PR companies, then it'd be the other way around. Isn't that obvious?

hugh, what's the story with boyd?

hugh said:

I think that's his point (at least it always has been).
He wants to see all the bands he mentioned signed to those labels and touring the world.
God knows they all have the talent and the tunes.
I think journo's get a bit peeved when they champion bands who turn out to lack the killer ambition needed to transfer out of the local scene.

hag said:
hugh, what's the story with boyd?
Jesus now you've got me started.

Oldies might remember that in the late 80's there was this huge fad in music journalism (particularly Melody Maker) for post-modernism/deconstruction/Baudelaire and all that malarkey. This got pretty tedious pretty quickly.

Now take any article Brian Boyd has written for the Ticket over the last few years. Count how many words occur before he mentions something about post-modernism/deconstruction etc... etc..... this is 18 years after people got bored with that shit. Do these guys actually have any capacity for independent thought at all?

hag said:
cork's always been better at music than dublin.

cant argue

franz ferdinand are so fucking shit it pains me. And that crap Take Me Out song always reminds me of Emmerdale cos it was playing in the Wolfpack during one episode, and every time i hear it now, i get flashbacks to Charity's horrible, horrible teeth

hey...

y'know something...

the last time he wrote this article (and let's face it, it is exactly the same article), people were a lot more annoyed.

now on this thread they're kind of laughing and being ironic and talking shit and everything.

i like that.

so... we rule. right?

(oh, conflict-of-interest alert: jim gave a good review to the herv album, which me & herv & conor released. um, just saying.)

hugh said:
Jesus now you've got me started.

Oldies might remember that in the late 80's there was this huge fad in music journalism (particularly Melody Maker) for post-modernism/deconstruction/Baudelaire and all that malarkey. This got pretty tedious pretty quickly.

Now take any article Brian Boyd has written for the Ticket over the last few years. Count how many words occur before he mentions something about post-modernism/deconstruction etc... etc..... this is 18 years after people got bored with that shit. Do these guys actually have any capacity for independent thought at all?

ah the term "Flowery Journalism" springs to mind

anything about a indie band in Melody maker in the late 80's read like an Emily Dickson poem re-written as a muscial article by a retard.

And yeah I agree, Carrol has been re-hashing the same collumn for years now

aoboa said:
Must buy their album.

Do! I got a promo copy for review and it's so bloody good I've been tempted to go out and buy a proper copy. As I'm broke, I've settled for bullying everyone else into it instead.

aoboa said:
He wants to see all the bands he mentioned signed to those labels and touring the world.
God knows they all have the talent and the tunes.
I think journo's get a bit peeved when they champion bands who turn out to lack the killer ambition needed to transfer out of the local scene.

If that's his aim (and i doubt it) then it'a a pretty stupid way of achieving it. Think of all the Times Reading potential Tychos fans saying "ah they must be shite, and to think I was going to buy their album, thanks Jim"

aoboa said:
And how might bands go about achieving this?
Get signed.
No one (in Ireland at least) has ever done it any other way.

Important qualifier for the above: I know, I know, there's loads of local bands who have toured Europe, released stuff in Japan, etc etc ... but really all we're doing is tapping into other local scenes, which is not what the journos want. They want us to hit the Big Time

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back