Jim Carroll in the Ticket (1 Viewer)

aoboa said:
I think that's his point (at least it always has been).
He wants to see all the bands he mentioned signed to those labels and touring the world. God knows they all have the talent and the tunes.

talkin to all sorts of folk over the last few years though i get the impression that people reckon there isn't the music industry infrastructure in ireland in order for the likes of the chalets to get signed and be the next franz ferdidnand or interpol or whatever. the industry here doesn't cater for this sort of act. even louis walsh has been saying this. if the decent bands in ireland were all to move to london or new york for a year half of them would be signed. if they wanted to be.

Pantone247 said:
I really really really really really really doubt this

i think theres a degree of sense to this. simply by virtue of getting to play to such a broader amount of people. i think it makes all the difference.

nearly happened for the corpo once, i'll always wonder what if...

dudley said:
i think theres a degree of sense to this. simply by virtue of getting to play to such a broader amount of people. i think it makes all the difference.

I think that's fair enough, and it's obvious there are better 'infrastructures' in other larger cities, more people to pull to gigs, and not just gigging to the same hundered or so people. Which is bound to keep a band fresh, and probably more importantly keep the members of the band interested... rather then running round the same 3 or 4 venues ad nauseum

but I wouldn't say if bands from Dublin were transplanted to that enviroment they would all (or half of them, whatever) get signed.

Some local bands have the talent and tunes, yesh... but, and lets be realistic here, there is some proper rubbish out there too.

dudley said:

nearly happened for the corpo once, i'll always wonder what if...
noticed yesterday that your newest album has the vids on it. feckin love that zombie video

Pantone247 said:
I think that's fair enough, and it's obvious there are better 'infrastructures' in other larger cities, more people to pull to gigs, and not just gigging to the same hundered or so people. Which is bound to keep a band fresh, and probably more importantly keep the members of the band interested... rather then running round the same 3 or 4 venues ad nauseum

but I wouldn't say if bands from Dublin were transplanted to that enviroment they would all (or half of them, whatever) get signed.

Some local bands have the talent and tunes, yesh... but, and lets be realistic here, there is some proper rubbish out there too.
he said "decent bands"

Pantone247 said:
I really really really really really really doubt this
It's definitely true.
Look at all the Irish bands who did move to London over the years and did get signed.
Sure, most of the stuff that did is/was average at best but it does help.
You get to meet the people who run labels, journalists etc at gigs and in bars and all that bulls**t. It sounds like a big chiche but it's true. Be it London, Glasgow, NY or whatever.
The same way people over here will release records for bands they've seen/are friends with/have been on the piss with.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with having a thriving domestic scene in Dublin/Cork/wherever but until the media (and unfortunately that means NME etc) pick up on it, it just won't be 'cool' enough for some people.

Also, when people are selling out venues and selling loads of records locally - their ambitions tend to get a little dulled. Getting the proper worldwide distribution for your label suddenly goes on the long finger. That gig to 12 people in Dublin Castle in London just didn't rock as much as the last sold out show in Whelans etc, etc...

No matter what, for music - be that making it or whatever - the cliches almost always hold true.
It's most always the people who network who do well.

shut up, shut up, SHUT UP!!!
the guy's a fucking music journalist! he'll champion whoever suits him. if a band is good enough, if a label thinks they can make money out of a band, they'll sign them. business. end of story. the chalets got signed for a reason, they've got what it takes to make money from their music and to make money for their label. "nearly got signed" is horseshit. i can't think of any other band in dublin that can and wants to make that leap. bands like the rednecks and the jimmy cake will only ever appeal to a select audience - they'll never appeal to the masses in a way that will make a big label sign them and make JC happy with them. this isn't really that hard to understand!!!

post reading aoboa's comment: no matter how much networking a shit band does, it's a business decision at the end of the day. shit bands just won't get signed unless there's a rich kid backed with daddy's money running the label. jesus.

Latex lizzie said:
Look at all the Irish bands who did move to London over the years and did get signed

look at all the ones who didnt.
I'd imagine the ratio of those who stayed and got signed to those who moved and got signed would swing seriously towards the latter.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating anything here, I'm just poining out some facts. Right place, right time etc...

hag said:
shut up, shut up, SHUT UP!!!
the guy's a fucking music journalist! he'll champion whoever suits him. if a band is good enough, if a label thinks they can make money out of a band, they'll sign them. business. end of story. the chalets got signed for a reason, they've got what it takes to make money from their music and to make money for their label. "nearly got signed" is horseshit. i can't think of any other band in dublin that can and wants to make that leap. bands like the rednecks and the jimmy cake will only ever appeal to a select audience - they'll never appeal to the masses in a way that will make a big label sign them and make JC happy with them. this isn't really that hard to understand!!!

post reading aoboa's comment: no matter how much networking a shit band does, it's a business decision at the end of the day. shit bands just won't get signed unless there's a rich kid backed with daddy's money running the label. jesus.
Yeah but on the same hand you've got bands like Mogwai who should appeal to the same small audience who did.

Not talking about s**t bands. Talking about extremely average bands who network ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back