Jaysus cycling! (15 Viewers)

french-road-safety-sign-je-dpasse-15-m-i-allow-at-least-15-m-when-EYCB5H.jpg

Similar law already exists in some other countries which require not only a specific distance but also a specific speed. Its not a bad idea I think its more or less pot luck how a driver over takes a cyclist at present depending on the drivers own habits and I suppose also the road and the other traffic.

I can't see how it is enforced, unless an incident is caught on camera.

But I agree drivers need to be aware of just how dangerous it can be when overtaking cyclists.

I can't see how it is enforced, unless an incident is caught on camera.

But I agree drivers need to be aware of just how dangerous it can be when overtaking cyclists.

One guy took me very closely tonight and with the last few posts in this thread in mind I shouted at the car and gave the driver the finger.

Immediately after another car passed me, he went all the way over to the other lane and gave me the thumbs up

it's fucking depressing how when talking heads are brought on radio shows to talk about things like this, the first thing they are asked is 'yeah but, what are you going to do to atone for the sins committed by every cyclist ever?'
on sean o'rourke on radio 1 earlier, the first text he read out - and posed as a question to ciaran cannon as if it actually made sense - was whether cyclists would be subject to similar minimum passing distances when they passed cars. they didn't read out the text i sent in as response.

it's fucking depressing how when talking heads are brought on radio shows to talk about things like this, the first thing they are asked is 'yeah but, what are you going to do to atone for the sins committed by every cyclist ever?'
on sean o'rourke on radio 1 earlier, the first text he read out - and posed as a question to ciaran cannon as if it actually made sense - was whether cyclists would be subject to similar minimum passing distances when they passed cars. they didn't read out the text i sent in as response.

Any cyclist with any sense at all knows to use a minimum passing distance in case some cunt doors them as they pass.

i cycle to work every day, and this *proposed* law is just hot air, imo. should it become law, it will not be enforced.

the click-bait headline just feeds the cyclist hating trolls.

really, we need better thought-out infrastructure. for example, bike lanes that don't just suddenly cease to be - whereupon the unwitting cyclist finds them self shoulder-to-shoulder with motor traffic. it says to me: "i couldn't be arsed thinking this through any more; you're on your own now".

but yeah, lets ignore the real issues and focus on this crap.

blah blah, box-ticking / lip service. etc etc

/rant over

I was cycling for years before I drove (legally). I'd one driving instructor who was really good at making me aware of cyclists and one who never mentioned them.

From that reliable scientific data we can extrapolate that only half the drivers on the road have ever had any instruction on cyclists outside experience.

New things make people angry.

Result:

I blame the driving test.

QED.

I was cycling for years before I drove (legally). I'd one driving instructor who was really good at making me aware of cyclists and one who never mentioned them.

From that reliable scientific data we can extrapolate that only half the drivers on the road have ever had any instruction on cyclists outside experience.

New things make people angry.

Result:

I blame the driving test.

QED.
That's science.

i bought myself a new (secondhand) bike for christmas. a very nice genesis, steel frame with disc brakes. partly cos i needed a bike with a full set of mudguards, cos i aim to be cycling to work again soon, ~20km each way.

a documentary about raleigh bikes from (where else) BBC4:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Check out Teddy Boy Chopper assembly guy Clive Hodgson at @41 minutes in

He even got his own documentary

a documentary about raleigh bikes from (where else) BBC4:

The BMX section at @45 minutes made me feel a little weepy.
I was saying to my bother how much I loved my red Burner and he reminded me, in case I was considering a purchase, that a man approaching 50 would look quite ridiculous on a BMX.
Andy Ruffell was a big deal in our house. My sister wrote to him and sent this card back. andy1.jpg andy2.jpg

The BMX section at @45 minutes made me feel a little weepy.
I was saying to my bother how much I loved my red Burner and he reminded me, in case I was considering a purchase, that a man approaching 50 would look quite ridiculous on a BMX.
Andy Ruffell was a big deal in our house. My sister wrote to him and sent this card back.
i remember going to an event arranged through the raleigh shop in roselawn where they had one of the BMX stars visiting. couldn't understand why my dad wouldn't let me be one of the people who lay on the ground for him to bunny hop - it was at least 20 people lying side by side, but for some reason i have 48 in my head - in hindsight, if he'd fluffed it, he'd have disembowelled about half a dozen people.

citysickness, formerly of this parish, is still in possession of a 1980s peugeot BMX in startlingly good nick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back