Jaysus cycling! (3 Viewers)

re cyclists overtaking on the inside and how much clearance they should give - as it's about safety, the two situations are not comparable. a car overtaking you with less than 1m to spare is hardly the same as a cyclist doing the overtaking with less than 1m to spare.

it's like (reductio ad absurdum alert) comparing a train passing you with less than 1m to spare, and you walking past a train with less than 1m to spare.

i've twice reported bus eireann drivers for close passes - most recently on the old N2, which is not a narrow road; that occasion, i'd say he passed doing at least 60km/h, and left a gap of about 50cm. if i was to overtake him, he'd probably be stationary or nearly so; if i hit him in that situation, i might break a tooth or two maybe. if he hit me in his close pass, losing teeth would probably be the least of my worries.

anyway, next time i won't be complaining to BE about it, i'll be going to the cops.

Be considerate to other road users is the rule, banging on your bonnet is not considerate so you are correct they were out of line. Unless of course you'd blocked a bit of a cycle lane...
i'm considerate to cyclists, to the point of getting flashed by the car behind, but where the road width is insufficient for both of us (there was no cycle lane), be patient. no rights without responsibilities, etc. we're all in this together.

Absolutely. We all share the road, cars have a higher chance of causing road deaths etc .etc.

The way I see it, if I am interfering with the progress of traffic, be it in a car on on my bike, I pull over. I expect cyclists, although they "may" travel two abreast to do the same. They invariably don't though.

two things though - especially with large groups of cyclists who are cycling two abreast - if they move into single file, they've essentially doubled the length of the 'vehicle' you have to overtake. a group of ten club cyclists can easily become a 'vehicle' over 100 foot long and travelling at 30km/h.

and re the overtaking manouevre itself - in what situations are you able to overtake a single cyclist but not two abreast? the issue is that if you're overtaking a single cyclist and need to cross the white line to do so (common on a normal enough road), you're committing to a full overtaking manouevre and should wait until the road ahead is clear - in which case there shouldn't be an issue overtaking two abreast.

all that said, on my leisure spins out around NCD, i will pull in to let tractors and HGVs pass as they don't have the acceleration to pass a cyclist doing 25-30km/h. i don't recall making allowances for cars much, and i also don't recall having cars stuck behind me for more than 20s i suppose.

two things though - especially with large groups of cyclists who are cycling two abreast - if they move into single file, they've essentially doubled the length of the 'vehicle' you have to overtake. a group of ten club cyclists can easily become a 'vehicle' over 100 foot long and travelling at 30km/h.

so it's easier to overtake two trucks travelling side-by-side than an artic? reductio ad absurdum like?

on'y joshing. a bit.

Just ordered a new wheel and a 1x10 groupset for the old Marin. Can't wait to get it back up and running again, if I can manage to put it all together.

Going to be delighted with not having a front derailleur.

new wheel to allow for a new cassette?
Back wheel was stolen about 3 years ago. Have had the lot thrown in the attic since then until I got the bug back.

Had to order a new wheel, cassette, brake disc at the very least. But a whole new Drivetrain groupset seemed like a good idea when I was putting the order in.

90% of the time it is used as a commuting bike, but I do get out on the trails the odd time. The 1x10 might make the hills a tough slog but I cannot wait to get back on it to find out how it feels.

If a new offence of failing to wear hi-vis clothing and helmets was introduced, the Garda could initially give a verbal warning to those cyclists in breach of the legislation. He hoped that would encourage most bike riders to comply with his proposed new measure.

And those cyclists who persisted in their refusal to wear the safety kit could be dealt with under the fixed-charge notice system. This would involve fines.

Delegates at the closing session of the AGSI conference voted in favour of a motion to make helmets and fluorescent clothing compulsory for cyclists.

Gardaí say cyclists must change attitude and wear safety gear

So its all the cyclists fault,right?

Yes , there is a paragraph in the article to paraphrase as on mobile

"People are steeping out and trucks are cutting corners short and so on. so you need to project yourself and fluorescent jackets and helmets are the way to go"

Unfortunately if a truck cuts a corner short and hits a cyclist, I don't think either florescent jacket or a helmet will do much use. If a pedestrian steps straight out in front of a cyclist, again a fluorescent jacket is useless

sure that's been proven.

to sum up the gardai's suggestion; 'we have failed utterly to make the roads safe so we're going to make it an offence for you not to compensate for our failure'.

It's been said over and over that making cyclists adopt all this safety gear takes the onus off the driver and solves nothing.

It's been said over and over that making cyclists adopt all this safety gear takes the onus off the driver and solves nothing.
Perhaps it's being said over and over now, but ithat wasn't the case not long ago. Everybody expected cyclists to dress like lollipop ladies, even cyclists, to the point that it was completely normalised.

Perhaps it's being said over and over now, but ithat wasn't the case not long ago. Everybody expected cyclists to dress like lollipop ladies, even cyclists, to the point that it was completely normalised.

We had the argument about cyclists wearing that gear on here. As I said at the time, I wear a high viz vest because as a driver I know how hard it can be to see cyclists. If we had properly designed cycle lanes on every road I wouldn't feel the need to wear one.

I'm cycling round southern Spain this week. There are cycle paths EVERYWHERE.
There area few grades of road and only the high speed one has no bikes. The others have either a lane about 1m wide with car limits around 60 - 90km often in a parallel track with a concrete barrier. The smaller ones are super quiet and the smallest are literal gravel tracks. I've done over 300km and experienced only 4 drivers acting in any way inconsiderate. That's been through a few cities. The cycle lanes are for sharing with wheelchair users and are often bright blue or green in town. The drivers give you a load of space. I'm dressed like a typical cyclist and have only needed lights in the tunnels. It's a different world from west Ireland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back