Jaysus cycling! (5 Viewers)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/7655977.stm
Two Tour de France stage winners have tested positive for an advanced blood doping product.
Italy's Leonardo Piepoli and Germany's Stefan Schumacher tested positive for Continuous Erythropoiesis Receptor Activator (Cera).
Italy's Riccardo Ricco has already admitted to using Cera, a version of the blood booster erythropoietin (EPO).
Between them the three riders won five stages during the July race - or about a quarter of the 21 stages.
The French Anti-Doping Agency has been retesting blood samples from the race in a bid to catch more cyclists they suspect may have used Cera.

Le sigh.

yeah, but again, like Sella earlier on, this is no surprise. Piepoli was chucked off the tour with Pricco. Schumacher shouldn't have been let next nor near it in the first place. Tom Boonen wasn't allowed start cos he tested positive for cocaine. Schumacher did the exact same thing, yet it was ok for him to start.

Schumacher has been lying low since the tour. To produce the 2 TT performances that he did, and then to finish nowhere in the olympics and the worlds was not right. There are 30 riders who gave suspicious samples. He had to have known he was one, hence the lying low bit. I don't think a lot of cyclists knew the French anti-doping authority had a test for CERA. Once Pricco bit the dust, there was a lot of worried cheats out there.

Also, it was speculated in a Belgian newspaper last week that Fabien Cancellara will be up next. Frank Schleck is also in a bit of bother too.

I wish they'd just announce the 30 and get it over with.

Perfect conditions for a spin today.

Did over 100km for the first time, around Cavan and Longford.

Don't have a map, it was a haphazard oul spin. Had no idea heading off whether I'd do 30, 70 or 100k.

I started the cycle with two 10km laps around Longford town (where I am at the moment) then ended up heading out to Drumlish, Arva, Carrigallen, Killeshandra, back down to Aughnacliffe, Ballinalee, and then did another couple of those 10km laps to take me up to 100km.

It's good cycling country up there, lots of little rises and falls.

yeah, but again, like Sella earlier on, this is no surprise. Piepoli was chucked off the tour with Pricco. Schumacher shouldn't have been let next nor near it in the first place. Tom Boonen wasn't allowed start cos he tested positive for cocaine. Schumacher did the exact same thing, yet it was ok for him to start.

Schumacher has been lying low since the tour. To produce the 2 TT performances that he did, and then to finish nowhere in the olympics and the worlds was not right. There are 30 riders who gave suspicious samples. He had to have known he was one, hence the lying low bit. I don't think a lot of cyclists knew the French anti-doping authority had a test for CERA. Once Pricco bit the dust, there was a lot of worried cheats out there.

Also, it was speculated in a Belgian newspaper last week that Fabien Cancellara will be up next. Frank Schleck is also in a bit of bother too.

I wish they'd just announce the 30 and get it over with.

speculation on the cycling board i frequent most that Christophe Moreau is one of those that will be caught

speculation on the cycling board i frequent most that Christophe Moreau is one of those that will be caught

again, no surprise there. He just left the tour after a couple of days with no explanation. None of his team could track him down. I guess hearing the testers had a test for CERA puts that all into a bit of perspective now.

Interesting to read now that cos of the goings on in the tour de france, all samples taken at the Olympic games are going to be retested for CERA also. Can't wait to see the outcome of Phelp's tests!!

Moreau was always a cantankerous fucker. He was part of the Festina team that got thrown out of the tour in '98 (that started in Dublin).

what message board is that? Bikeradar or one of those? I don't check cycling boards. Maybe I should. Nothing like a bit of idle speculation!!

BrickGun_-_Glock_17_Front-Left_Ortho.jpg

short distance swimmers dont need CERA / EPO / loads more RBCs. Woman swimmers might need a up in muscle mass, but men wouldn't because beyond a point the extra muscle stops helping and just uses too much energy.

If Phelps is on something, its not blood boosters. Nor anablolics I would say.
The reason that I think he's not doping is not because I trust in his good nature, its because I dont see how the risk would pay off in terms of performance.
I think men's swimming (today) is relatively clean.

short distance swimmers dont need CERA / EPO / loads more RBCs. Woman swimmers might need a up in muscle mass, but men wouldn't because beyond a point the extra muscle stops helping and just uses too much energy.

If Phelps is on something, its not blood boosters. Nor anablolics I would say.
The reason that I think he's not doping is not because I trust in his good nature, its because I dont see how the risk would pay off in terms of performance.
I think men's swimming (today) is relatively clean.

I really hope so.

But, it wouldn't be for performance enhancement per se - it'd be more a recovery mechanism between races (he did have a fairly hectic schedule don't forget).

didn't feel safe how? Like you might fall off? Were you up on the footpath?

A helmet would probably be a good start.

Not so much fall off, but fall in :) To the canal, like. There wasn't a footpath, just a towpath, shared with pedestrians. Would prefer not to get to the stage where I would need to use my helmet as a floatation aid.

Lots of other cyclists whizzing by in a carefree manner, while I was cautiously cycling very slowly. Do they know something I don't about towpath techniques, or is it just a matter of confidence?

Not so much fall off, but fall in :) To the canal, like. There wasn't a footpath, just a towpath, shared with pedestrians. Would prefer not to get to the stage where I would need to use my helmet as a floatation aid.

Lots of other cyclists whizzing by in a carefree manner, while I was cautiously cycling very slowly. Do they know something I don't about towpath techniques, or is it just a matter of confidence?

its like being up high. Don't look down. On the bike, just don't think about it and you'll be grand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back