Jaysus cycling! (7 Viewers)

so who do you reckon is the greatest cyclist ever? Eddy Merckx? Fausto Coppi? Sean Kelly? WRONG!!! its this chap
YouTube - Serge Huercio - Artistic Cycling

I went out on spins with Rob Seymour and Joe McCaul.
Basically they do that shit, at 40 something mph, around a corner, on a mossy road, in the wet.

I'm dropping off the back trying to wrestle the bike to a stop in a straight line, and they're hanging off their yokes, everything going sideways, breaking their shite laughing.

Its not funny how hard some of those off road boys own.

I saw a fella on a recumbent bicycle cycling down the Nangor road the other day. Mentallist. A driver who was behaving like a dickwad nearly hit him. It can't be a wise move to attempt that in Dublin traffic.

recumbent-bicycle_31.jpg

paranormality has interfered my cycling patterns. a couple weeks ago I started getting weekly punctures, culminating in the fateful friday the 14th when after getting a comfortable puncture off an office staple close to ranelagh (oh there's the only bench in the whole dublin city just next to the road, spot the staple and off you go, apply patch, back on the road) I got a puncture the same evening through the same patch. somehow, after never having problems with tubes and/or patches I ended up breaking all my tire levers and running out of patches and having no airtight tubes, though i did have two or so i thought. got myself a new tire because the back one that had suffered all these was clearly out of its lifecycle [sic] and a couple of tubes. applied at 4pm, sound! put on new brakes at around 8pm and did a test cycle, all fine...came back from the gig and still nervously tested the pressure and it was fine...until just now. some alien lifeforms had interfered and the back tire is empty, air leaking straight out while pumping. the bike standing in the bloody (not literally) living room for the whole time.

and what's up with the tire levers, eh? broke another three today. i've been nice on the roads, this is no bad karma!

I've had a couple of funny punctures lately with the damp roads.
You have to check your tyres really carefully. Crap can be inside the tyre, and not stick out until you pump it back up.
Here, faustus, you're only using the levers to take tyres off, right?
I can't say I've ever broke a tyre lever. And I worked in a shop for a while, as well as changed my fair share of tubes on the road. I usually dont use levers at all.
What I was going to say was I got these new sticky puncture repair patches.
No glue, nothing, just peel and stick.
They work perfectly and instantly.
Deadly.

You have to check your tyres really carefully. Crap can be inside the tyre, and not stick out until you pump it back up.
I can't say I've ever broke a tyre lever. And I worked in a shop for a while, as well as changed my fair share of tubes on the road. I usually dont use levers at all.
Deadly.

What brand? I tried cheap ones and they were shit surprisingly enough. I had three punctures last week myself.

Deadly.
Yeah I've done that, and I mean the one that simultaneously punctured the reality of my cycling routines and plunged me into a lynchian black lodge where midgets run around emptying my tires was an office staple, as I said. And now a new set of tires, nothing wrong with the rim either, the spontaneous puncture of last evening was a neat small round hole. Happened when the bike was idle. Jesus. Patched and now it seems it's leaking again, and I'm in university with no levers or patience.

I use tire levers to get take tires off and on, why? They break doing both.

Yeah, you shouldn't need levers to get the tyre back on.

I use Specialized Flatboy Patch Kit, but presumably they're made by some other company.
Really recommend them.
Find puncture,
Rough tube, peel and slap it on. Almost as easy as putting a new tube in.
3 bucks for 10 patches.

If you are using armadillos you might they are tight as a tight thing and a nightmare to get on to certain rims but worth the hassle.

yes, armadillos take serious effort

I don't think spoons is a good idea, or anything metal for that matter. It could damage the tube, or worse, the rim. Get the hardened plastic levers. They're only a euro each.

If you are using armadillos you might they are tight as a tight thing and a nightmare to get on to certain rims but worth the hassle.

Somehow I reckon having had that many punctures he wasn't using armadillos yeah you're probably right. How much are those armadillo tyres anyhow?

you can put a little lube on the tyres/rims if you';re having problems. I'll sometimes wet the tyre if its giving me grief and that works for me.

You should try to avoid putting tyres back on with levers as you can end up pinching the tube.

So, in summary, its a lube and rim job.

Yeah well I can't get the tires on the rim without levers, even with them it can be quite a challenge. So, yeah, just not going to happen; none of the punctures were caused by pinching the tube either. New back tire, not armadillo but some sort of a puncture resistant lining thing on it, was quite tough to get it on the rim but nothing compared to the annoyance of spontaneously blasting tubes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back