Jaysus cycling! (8 Viewers)

This is a great thread, but not a great day for cycling, especially when you don't own wet gear.

My rain jacket gives me woeful hives, I hate it. I just wear a light top and shorts that'll dry out quickly. And gloves. If you wear heavy layers, you'll just get soaked more. You might as well just get soaked and be soaked and get it over with. Unless you're going on a really long spin.
In a couple of months when it gets really wet and really cold, that won't be fun.

My rain jacket gives me woeful hives, I hate it. I just wear a light top and shorts that'll dry out quickly. And gloves. If you wear heavy layers, you'll just get soaked more. You might as well just get soaked and be soaked and get it over with. Unless you're going on a really long spin.
In a couple of months when it gets really wet and really cold, that won't be fun.

the winters gonna rule for weather.

that cycle in this morning was hard work. wind in my face. Better not have changed direction when I'm going home or I'm gonna have to kill someone

lads... for the winter, Buffalo jackets are your only man.

http://www.aakamilitary.com/buffalo_jackets.cfm

The British Military has a habit of buying the entire output of Buffalo for their special forces types, but look around and you can pick one up.

The best jacket I ever had by miles and miles.

edit, just so we're clear, they dont keep you bone dry, no matter what, although they keep you fairly dry, but it will keep you warm. And it will dry out. Amazing jackets. I have the mountain shirt.

get new waterproofs? gaiters are great too if you wear waterproof shoes.

or get one of these:

bike-rain-roof1.jpg

or there's always the cycling poncho:

gandarmes.jpg

I was truly unprepared this morning. Thank fuck its only a fifteen minute cycle. You can still get plenty wet though that quick. I also managed to be out in that storm where people started abandoning their cars at the port tunnel a few Saturdays ago. I tell you what, that got rid of my hangover.

lads... for the winter, Buffalo jackets are your only man.

http://www.aakamilitary.com/buffalo_jackets.cfm

The British Military has a habit of buying the entire output of Buffalo for their special forces types, but look around and you can pick one up.

The best jacket I ever had by miles and miles.

edit, just so we're clear, they dont keep you bone dry, no matter what, although they keep you fairly dry, but it will keep you warm. And it will dry out. Amazing jackets. I have the mountain shirt.

what shops sell those (either in Ireland or the US, cos I might go over there next month).?

that site is all out of stock.

what shops sell those (either in Ireland or the US, cos I might go over there next month).?

that site is all out of stock.

I bought one years ago in Great Outdoors, on Chatham street. I'm fairly sure they dont carry them now.

I actually tried looking around the web there for one for myself. Mine is getting tired now. (Ie, it was a 21st birthday present tired.) Its still warm though, amazingly enough.

You can't get them here. You can get copies, and normally I would buy a copy, but I tend to think Buffalo's are just fundamentally better.
Sort of this is why they are all bought by the British special forces.

Sorry man. Can't be any more help than that. I'm keeping an eye out sure, I'll PM you if I find one.

I bought one years ago in Great Outdoors, on Chatham street. I'm fairly sure they dont carry them now.

I actually tried looking around the web there for one for myself. Mine is getting tired now. (Ie, it was a 21st birthday present tired.) Its still warm though, amazingly enough.

You can't get them here. You can get copies, and normally I would buy a copy, but I tend to think Buffalo's are just fundamentally better.
Sort of this is why they are all bought by the British special forces.

Sorry man. Can't be any more help than that. I'm keeping an eye out sure, I'll PM you if I find one.

cheers dude. Likewise, if I see them here, I'll let everyone know

52km in me feckin jeans today.

Haven't cycled that distance since I was a chiseller.

Going to be in bits the day after tomorrow.

You have to get cycling trousers of some description. Regular trousers/jeans/football shorts have a seem up the middle that isn't your friend on the bike.

The combat short type cycling pants are probably the best bet, unless you join the spandex gang.

Yeah, walking like John Wayne's idiot sidekick already here.

I intend to do three or four 35-60km cycles a week over the autumn/winter, so I better get kitted out.

You have to get cycling trousers of some description. Regular trousers/jeans/football shorts have a seem up the middle that isn't your friend on the bike.

The combat short type cycling pants are probably the best bet, unless you join the spandex gang.

I do the combat calf length cutoffs trick, and its grand for 20 miles per day.
It would be probably ok for more, but, once you are riding for more than around that sort of distance a proper pair of cycling shorts are very welcome.

I sometimes would wear a pair of proper shorts under something else. They are an awful lot better than an old pair of cotton jocks.

Yeah, walking like John Wayne's idiot sidekick already here.

I intend to do three or four 35-60km cycles a week over the autumn/winter, so I better get kitted out.

I'd recommend some cycling underwear if you don't want to go down the full-on lycra route. Ms. seanc says they make me look like a super hero, or like I'm wearing a nappy, depending on her mood. They sell them in Aldi/Lidl every 3 or 4 months and they're considerably cheaper than the full body alternatives.

Did something like this on Sunday:http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=Fba-LQMdLm6g_w%3B%3BFZJ_LAMduTSf_w%3BFQhHKwMdnP6h_w%3BFc5dKwMdnFOi_w%3BFXWOKwMdpOui_w%3BFVr9LAMdwOOi_w%3BFURFLQMdeOuh_w%3BFWS2LQMdLAGh_w%3BFSzELQMdSMWg_w%3B%3BFR7ALQMdcG2g_w&saddr=Lower+Mountpleasant+Ave&daddr=Bohernabreena+to:Unknown+road+%4053.247890,+-6.343495+to:R760+to:N11+to:R767%2FSouthern+Cross+Rd+to:Convent+Rd+to:N31%2FSeapoint+Ave+to:Merrion+Rd%2FR118+to:Wellington+Rd+to:53.329797,-6.256285+to:Lower+Mountpleasant+Ave&mra=dme&mrcr=3&mrsp=10&sz=14&via=3,5,6,7,8,9,10&dirflg=w&doflg=ptk&sll=53.331386,-6.253881&sspn=0.024039,0.053215&ie=UTF8&ll=53.250836,-6.269073&spn=0.192678,0.42572&t=p&z=11

Then later I ate chocolate for dinner and passed out in someones flat. Wooh!

This bastard rain is cramping my style no end.

Was planning to go for a 60km spin if it was half-decent out.

Caught the cycling bug again bigtime in the last two weeks...nothing like it to shake off the cobwebs.

Does anyone know if "Slime" inner tube sealant (or similar) is available in Dublin anywhere, and how much it is?

Punctures have been the bane of my life recently :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back