Jaysus cycling! (22 Viewers)

what sort of bike do you cycle? what size wheels?

suspension weighs a ton unless you spend a big wad of cash. it also leads to less efficient cycling for road use because when you push down on the pedal the bike presses downward on the suspension and cushions the power you're putting into it.

why do you want aluminium? is it weight? how much you thinking of spending?

Cheers Dunchee. At the mo I just have a really cheap road bike from Halfords, which I have wrecked the wheels from jumping on and off pavements (bold me i know). The back wheel keeps getting loose no matter how many times i try to tighten it. And the gears keep slipping. Only got it around May, but I've well and truly destoyed it I think.

Think the wheels are 18".

I thought that's why it would be good to get suspension, but didnt really think of the weight or the fact it can go againts ya.

I was thinking aluminium to make the bike lighter, as at the moment its like cycling a bike made of stone.

Flashback: Gliding into work would be spot on. Gotta look into the fixed gear bike a bit more.

I'm only thinking about €300. Or if I manage to get the 'bike to work scheme, then a bit more. What ye reckon?

PS. Re-Bike to Work. Yup, in Belfast. Though I'm not sure if I'm eligable. All those sort of things tend to be invented for London. Still, gotta try my luck!

I'd say it would be possible to pick up a used fixer and a decent set of pedals for Euro 300.
People are not so hot on buying road frames any more, so there are a lot hanging around.

Is anyone making fixers in Ireland lads?

I'm still debating about getting one myself. It would be gift in the city, but I have a hill to ride up on the way home, and down on the way in.

I'd say I'd be doing about 37 mph ish on the way down it.
Hmm. Maybe not.
I have to get new chainrings, chain, sprockets, brake pads, hydraulics fluid, tyres, free hub, grips, and possibly bottom bracket.

It might be cheaper to buy a new bike.
Jesus.

Cheers Dunchee. At the mo I just have a really cheap road bike from Halfords, which I have wrecked the wheels from jumping on and off pavements (bold me i know). The back wheel keeps getting loose no matter how many times i try to tighten it. And the gears keep slipping. Only got it around May, but I've well and truly destoyed it I think.

Think the wheels are 18".

I thought that's why it would be good to get suspension, but didnt really think of the weight or the fact it can go againts ya.

I was thinking aluminium to make the bike lighter, as at the moment its like cycling a bike made of stone.

Flashback: Gliding into work would be spot on. Gotta look into the fixed gear bike a bit more.

I'm only thinking about €300. Or if I manage to get the 'bike to work scheme, then a bit more. What ye reckon?

PS. Re-Bike to Work. Yup, in Belfast. Though I'm not sure if I'm eligable. All those sort of things tend to be invented for London. Still, gotta try my luck!

yeah, i used to work in halfords, some awful bikes in there. is it still under guarantee? seems a bit mad that it would be that fucked in four months. though the wheels on a road bike are gonna get fucked if you're hopping kerbs.

mountain bike wheels are 26", road wheels are 700c (28"). if you wanna hop kerbs i'd suggest getting a mountain bike because the smaller wheel size makes them stronger. but most mountain bikes in your price range come with heavy front suspension.

the 700c wheels are faster and nippier. wider tyres on the 700c would help to take impact of the kerbs and increase your comfort by absorbing bumps from the road but you have to make sure the wheel rims can take the wider tyre.

if your budget is 300 i'd say aluminium is the only thing in your price range. decent steel frames tend to be expensive.

if you haven't many big hills on your way to work then maybe you should think about flashback's suggestion of a fixie. they are very simple machines and light because all those gears have been removed. they've been quite fashionable for a while too so you may get one second-hand pretty cheap. they need less maintenance than geared bikes too.

one of the couriers is making them. couple of people i know got fixies made by him. if you're interested i can see if i can get his number...

no, thanks though, I'm not actually in Dublin at the moment. I was more wondering if they were being built over there at the moment, people might be interested.
I saw a few lads on them when I was home a few months ago.

There is a lot less maintenance, and if you get your ratio right, they are great to get around on.

I have to not agree with the road wheels not being as strong as MTB wheels though.

If you get semi decent rims, and you keep your pressures up, they will be ok. I have regularly absolutely nailed wheels into huge potholes in races at > 35mph when I didn't see it coming, and the rims were grand. Even my less good training wheels would take a terrible beating on Wicklow's finest roads in the winter, and be fine.

Its all about the wheel. If its a decent wheel, it will take the knocks, road or MTB. If its shit, it will not.

And by good basically I mean if Mavic (or better) make the rims.

I just moved house and its an extra 10 min cycle to work. Not much, but enough to make me dread winter. plus I'm cycling through the park at the moment, which closes in winter when its dark.

The one thing I want more than anything now is:

Aluminium frame
Suspension

I feel like I'm fighting with my bike all the time, while others seem to glide by. Thats and the back wheel rattles about and sqeeks and general is a heap of crap. I've applied for a 'bike to work' scheme, which hopefully will allow me to get some money of a new one. Otherwise, ahh, christmas contributions?

Having ridden a cheap suspension bike around the Inis Mor this weekend I can assure you that front suspension bikes are not the way to go. Compared to my entry-level road bike, it take's twice the effort for half the speed.

Your bike prices are considerably cheaper up in Belfast, so I can only assume your 2nd hand bike prices would be cheaper too. Keep an eye out in the papers etc. Or go fixed.

Is anyone making fixers in Ireland lads?

http://myworld.ebay.ie/kevin_odonovan/

This dude has spent the last few months salvaging frames and making fixies/single speeds out of them. Not sure if he's still at it now though. Based in Dublin.

Here, lads, the commute bike is bollixed. But, its all fairly high spec stuff on it. Its going to cost a fortune to part it back. The hydraulic rear lever broke on me to day. plus new transmission. plus new rear wheel. Plus possibly new BB. Nightmarish money altogether.

I'm thinking about just buying a new bike, and fixing it later and keeping it for actual off roading.

I'm thinking of getting this yoke :
uno_3q.jpg

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/uno.htm

It's speced out at the bottom of the page there.

400 bucks and its sitting on my door step.

Yes or nay?

Here i thought there was a recession in Ireland ffs?

All i see on this site is people buying guitar pedals, bicycles, new houses and presents for people who buy new houses.
What gives? Ye all rich or summit?

Here, lads, the commute bike is bollixed. But, its all fairly high spec stuff on it. Its going to cost a fortune to part it back. The hydraulic rear lever broke on me to day. plus new transmission. plus new rear wheel. Plus possibly new BB. Nightmarish money altogether.

I'm thinking about just buying a new bike, and fixing it later and keeping it for actual off roading.

uno_3q.jpg

Yes or nay?

$400? Sweet as a nut. Go for it.

FSA headset and free freewheel thrown in. Can't go wrong I reckon.

Looks sweet too.

uno_3q.jpg

Yes or nay?

I don't know what American prices are like in general, except that they're cheaper, so I don't know how it compares to other bikes. But yes, it looks lovely. You should buy it and give it to me.

Here i thought there was a recession in Ireland ffs?

All i see on this site is people buying guitar pedals, bicycles, new houses and presents for people who buy new houses.
What gives? Ye all rich or summit?

I haven't bought anything :(

uno_3q.jpg

Yes or nay?

that's one sweet machine, do it!

that's one sweet machine, do it!

I think I'll buy it then.

I've been looking through the web for horror stories. It looks like it will be ok.
Just trying to figure out my size now.
My inside leg is ~90.0 cm, so I suppose I would be looking at a 58cm frame...

White or Black?

Black obviously.

Just did some conversions there, $400=€280....that's such a fuckin bargain flashback.
The Giant Bowery is €525 over here.

Edit: Just saw Tibors post there, the Bowery he linked to is €278...that's depressingly tempting.

This is a great thread, but not a great day for cycling, especially when you don't own wet gear.

leaving the house when it's pissin' rain is a pain in da bollix.

still though there's something kinda liberating about heading home from work or wherever and you know you're gonna get lashed out of it so you just horse into it and get soaked to yer boxers.

it's the couriers i feel sorry for...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back