Jaysus cycling! (18 Viewers)

Must see if I can find the serial number for my centaur and snake sculpture that got robbed. I locked it outside a Spar a couple of years ago. Only for 5 minutes, I was so angry.

Dunno much about Lucan, and I doubt theres any ideal route. But from town if you go up the Swords road there's footpath-cycle tracks most of the way, then turn off maybe at Collins Avenue and worm your way through all those estates between there and Coolock Village.

The Malahide Road isn't a terrible way to go either but it's considerably longer.

I know the way from town out to coolock but from Lucan into town I've no idea. So far it all just looks like someone will knock me down. Especially with the amount of roadworks.

bmx.jpg

one day while walking home from dun laoghaire me n a friend found this bmx. the handlebars are completely snapped off and need new ones. its fairly rusty in places but i reckon its ok, the chain is totally rusty but still works. dunchee, if u can come out n fix it up i will give you cans of guinness and veggie curry.... let me kno if ur interested. the gaf is near the graduate pub

i need to bring my bike into the shop. i think i hit a pot hole in the godforsaken heck hole of meath and no my back wheel is fucked. its to do with bearings or something. i tried cycling yeswterday but i found it hard to keep a rhythm with the chain and the back wheel, it was very glitchy. i did a cycle 10% below what i'm capable of

i need to bring my bike into the shop. i think i hit a pot hole in the godforsaken heck hole of meath and no my back wheel is fucked. its to do with bearings or something. i tried cycling yeswterday but i found it hard to keep a rhythm with the chain and the back wheel, it was very glitchy. i did a cycle 10% below what i'm capable of
gallery_Napoleon_Dynamite_1.jpg

dunchee, if u can come out n fix it up i will give you cans of guinness and veggie curry.... let me kno if ur interested. the gaf is near the graduate pub

i'd like to help you out michelle but i'm mad busy at the moment. i wouldn't know what i needed 'till i looked at it so it'd be two trips to dun leary. haven't got the time, sorry.

yadda yadda.
Its simple. People are primarily scared of getting on bikes, because its dangerous.
Its dangerous because of cunts in cars and trucks.
I'm fucking more scared cycling my bike into work, than driving a fairly substantial motorbike, because you get less cuntishness from cars when you are on a motorbike.
And, its not like I'm a novice rider.

To get people on bikes, you have to lessen the perceived or real threat from other road users.

To do this, you need plain clothes cops, on bikes, handing out tickets to cars who are in any way driving intimidatingly.
One day a week, send out 50 plain clothes lads around Dublin etc. Every prick who screams past them, jams on the brakes, and swerves into their paths, ticket.

Publicize the crap out of it. Plain clothes lads *all over the shop*, get the whingey drivers to talk in scandalized tones on radio about how unjust it is, that they are sneaking around everywhere.

All the while: Any form of anti social driving == ticket.

That will put a change of attitude on drivers.
That will be noticed, and people will cycle more.

yadda yadda.
Its simple. People are primarily scared of getting on bikes, because its dangerous.
Its dangerous because of cunts in cars and trucks.
I'm fucking more scared cycling my bike into work, than driving a fairly substantial motorbike, because you get less cuntishness from cars when you are on a motorbike.
And, its not like I'm a novice rider.

To get people on bikes, you have to lessen the perceived or real threat from other road users.

To do this, you need plain clothes cops, on bikes, handing out tickets to cars who are in any way driving intimidatingly.
One day a week, send out 50 plain clothes lads around Dublin etc. Every prick who screams past them, jams on the brakes, and swerves into their paths, ticket.

Publicize the crap out of it. Plain clothes lads *all over the shop*, get the whingey drivers to talk in scandalized tones on radio about how unjust it is, that they are sneaking around everywhere.

All the while: Any form of anti social driving == ticket.

That will put a change of attitude on drivers.
That will be noticed, and people will cycle more.

i dunno, there's bad drivers and stuff but people become worse drivers the more desperate the conditions get. all that discovering of new car lanes that happens in rush hour is just a consequence of there being too many cars on the roads. everyone does it and you can't avoid being a part of it if you are driving during rush hour - you just line up behind the car in front.

if kerbed cycle lanes became the norm in dublin there'd be less 'creativity' by motorists about how many car lanes there actually are through the colonisation of cycle lanes. and i'd say there'd be a lot more people cycling to work/college/school/whatever if there were more cycle lanes that were seperated from the road and the footpath.

bmx.jpg

one day while walking home from dun laoghaire me n a friend found this bmx. the handlebars are completely snapped off and need new ones. its fairly rusty in places but i reckon its ok, the chain is totally rusty but still works. dunchee, if u can come out n fix it up i will give you cans of guinness and veggie curry.... let me kno if ur interested. the gaf is near the graduate pub

With it having a one piece crank it would suggest it's a pretty cheap bmx to begin with. If it needs a lot of work it may not be worth it.

!

i dunno, there's bad drivers and stuff but people become worse drivers the more desperate the conditions get. all that discovering of new car lanes that happens in rush hour is just a consequence of there being too many cars on the roads. everyone does it and you can't avoid being a part of it if you are driving during rush hour - you just line up behind the car in front.

if kerbed cycle lanes became the norm in dublin there'd be less 'creativity' by motorists about how many car lanes there actually are through the colonisation of cycle lanes. and i'd say there'd be a lot more people cycling to work/college/school/whatever if there were more cycle lanes that were separated from the road and the footpath.

I actually think a combination of better cycle lanes and plain clothes cops on bikes would be deadly! having been car-doored one week, and narrowly missed being run over by a cab swerving into a contraflow-cycle lane the previous week (then screaming at me that it was a one way street). I can see why half of my friends would never get on a bike. But then again driving around Dublin all the bad cyclists get on my nerves as well. On route to Cabinteely this guy all in Lycra was wobbling all over the road unsure of how to switch lanes.
However, most importantly as that article above points out, there really is no excuse for people to be wearing nerdy clothes just because they are traveling by muscle power. Down with sensible wear (unless it's raining). More high heels on bikes. more skirts. less Lycra.
The most annoying cyclist I saw recently had pants stuffed in socks, bright neon vest with "traffic not target" handwritten on the back, and at the same time she was blocking all left turning traffic onto Sth Georges st, then when beeped at, moved to block traffic turning onto dame rather than just get in lane and use common sense. Bad dress and traffic sense... sheesh.

I just moved house and its an extra 10 min cycle to work. Not much, but enough to make me dread winter. plus I'm cycling through the park at the moment, which closes in winter when its dark.

The one thing I want more than anything now is:

Aluminium frame
Suspension

I feel like I'm fighting with my bike all the time, while others seem to glide by. Thats and the back wheel rattles about and sqeeks and general is a heap of crap. I've applied for a 'bike to work' scheme, which hopefully will allow me to get some money of a new one. Otherwise, ahh, christmas contributions?

I just moved house and its an extra 10 min cycle to work. Not much, but enough to make me dread winter. plus I'm cycling through the park at the moment, which closes in winter when its dark.

The one thing I want more than anything now is:

Aluminium frame
Suspension

I feel like I'm fighting with my bike all the time, while others seem to glide by. Thats and the back wheel rattles about and sqeeks and general is a heap of crap. I've applied for a 'bike to work' scheme, which hopefully will allow me to get some money of a new one. Otherwise, ahh, christmas contributions?

what sort of bike do you cycle? what size wheels?

suspension weighs a ton unless you spend a big wad of cash. it also leads to less efficient cycling for road use because when you push down on the pedal the bike presses downward on the suspension and cushions the power you're putting into it.

why do you want aluminium? is it weight? how much you thinking of spending?

Dunchee is asking the right questions...
If you're getting in and out of work, and you want something to glide on, you could do worse than have a look at a fixer.
They are cheap, and you can spend you money on nice wheels and pedals.
You can stick a front brake on it too to be safe.
Fuji_fixed_gear_bike.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• pete
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back