Jaysus cycling! (8 Viewers)

Well I got it fixed. Then it burst again, the guy missed a bit of glass that was stuck in the tyre. So they fixed it a second time.

This is why you're better off fixing this stuff yourself.

Seriously, fixing a puncture isn't hard. Its a pain in the hole, but not hard. A tip for the punctures while you're out and about - examine the tire from the outside, try and pinpoint the area where the puncture occurred. Then just pop out the tube from under there - you can leave most of the tire on and the tube inside, and pop on the patch and glue. And always check the inside of the tire. If its a bit of glass or whatever, it could still be in there. I'm surprised the lad in the bikeshop didn't do that.

You should get the plastic levers (a set of 3 will set you back a couple of euro), a small pump that will fit easily in your bag, and not absolutely necessary, but a multi-tool is handy too.

A newish phenomenon in my bike shop is 'Dutch' tyres. Puncture-proof apparently. They cost a little more but theres something to it. I got a pair the last time my bike was in for service and I've not had a puncture since - about 5/6 weeks (I'm tempting fate now though I know!).

Ah no, the lad did check in fairness to him, but he missed it. He was in a rush to get home. I don't want to bad mouth them. They were actually grand.

Another thing happened yesterday, some middle aged woman shouted at me for breaking a red light. I was very surprised I'd done that. Turns out the lights obstructed by a Mary Lou McDonald poster.

This thread is too long

I bought a second-hand bike from a bike shop about 6 months ago, with these mad red racer tyres. The guy said they were covered in Kevlar and would be very resistant to punctures. He was right, I cycle every day and haven't had a puncture yet. Might be more expensive but worth it. However, i'd say you can only get them for racers/touring bikes.

I've been hittin' this shit up with some revoloutions lately.

8366.11940.f.jpg

Gettin' off is a bollox.

http://bicycleuniverse.info/eqp/fixflat.html

Well, I found this yesterday while looking for puncture info. It talks about puncture resistant tyres etc. Has anyone used this slime stuff?

Slime is pretty heavy. Go into a shop and check the weight of a slime tube versus a normal one. It's very noticeable(sp?). The weight of your wheel,especially the rim/tyre has a lot to do with speed and how efficient your pedal is(at least that's what I'm led to believe)it makes sense to me but I'm not sure how to explain it best.
I use the tyre liners and they are fine. Add a little weight but not much. The good thing about them is you can keep on re using them. I'm not sure the lifespan of a slime tube.
I didn't read that link,but most people get punctures from having soft tyres. Tyres have a recommended pressure on the sidewall. If you keep them at that pressure you'll notice a lot less punctures. You'd be surprised how much air leaks out of a perfectly good tube.
If you've not bought a pump yet,it's worth spending money on a track pump for use at home(as well as a small pump to carry with you). It'll have a gauge on it and will pump your tyre much quicker than the smaller hand pumps. I have a compact pump with a gauge but I'll be fucked if I pump my tyre to the recommended pressure with it. I just use it to get me home. then use the track pump. And if you must use a pump at a garage,use short blasts,those things are powerful and I've seen a few people bloew the tube completely.
Do your best to avoid potholes and kerbs. They are your enemy.

exactly. Won't someone think of the bicycles and the pavements, the silent victims in all of this.

If people are being locked up for sexing them, how else are they meant to get some.

I've always had a bit of a 'thing' for my bike. I've just been too nervous and lacking in self-confidence to go do something about it. This story inspires me though, so who knows.....

But this bit is intriguing.

that is intreguing, more info at the end of this article:

Copyright 2001 NEWS GROUP NEWSPAPERS LTD
The Sun

August 14, 2001

LENGTH: 349 words

HEADLINE: MAN GUILTY OF MAKING LOVE TO LAMP-POST

BYLINE: Mike Darvill

BODY:
He was hugging pole

LONELY bachelor David Pithers was convicted yesterday of making love to a LAMP-POST.

Pithers, 57, was so desperate for sex he pulled his trousers and pants down by his ankles, wrapped his arms around the 30ft pole and rubbed himself up and down.

But magistrates heard his perversion was spotted by a man out with his nine-year-old daughter. The embarrassed dad moved away and told the confused girl that Pithers was just having a wee.

He then reported Pithers to police and the weirdo was arrested at his home in the village of Pontyberem, near Llanelli, South Wales -a short stroll from where the indecent act took place. Pithers admitted causing the pair harassment and distress. Prosecutor Vaughan Pritchard-Jones told the court: "They saw Mr Pithers with his arms around the lamp-post.

"He had his trousers and underpants around his ankles and was moving about. The father moved away so that his young daughter could not see what was happening.

Kicks. "He told his daughter the man was urinating -but he clearly wasn't."

The court in Llanelli heard how Pithers lives with his identical twin brother. He is now being helped with his personal problems by his family.

He was given a 12-month conditional discharge and ordered to pay Pounds 25 costs.

But antics like his are not the first to have hit the headlines.

Two years ago, The Sun told how pervert Stephen Bartlett got his kicks by lying under women's cars so that they would run him over.

He was hooked on being dominated by women and said it was the "ultimate."

Incident. The 30-year-old bachelor was ordered to pay compensation to one of his victims after an incident in Stafford.

In 1993, perverted electrician Karl Watkins was jailed for 18 months for repeatedly having sex with PAVEMENTS.

Watkins, from Redditch, Worcs, was caught face-down on the flags with his pants around his ankles simulating sex. He was also said to have had a go at an underpass.

Watkins got another six-year sentence in 1996 for attempting to make love to a black bin liner.

18 months is a bit harsh for the pavement riding is it not? im inclined to believe the bit about the bin liner is made up

I'm genuinely confused as to why anyone would get any kind of sentence for trying to have it off with a piece of street furniture when you'd be unlikely to be prosecuted for having a wee on the same lamppost. Or indeed, you'd be VERY unlikely to be prosecuted for raping a person. Not that I'm suggesting the lamppost was raped. Or the pavement. Sure, the pavement was just laying there with its cracks all beggin' for it an' shit.

Seriously, though. If a man wants to do it with an underpass, that should be his right. I'd prefer an overpass meself.

And I'm not going to make any two-bit jokes about the Port Tunnel.

after a week and a bit of cycling I can now make it up the hill before work without dying.

h(5) to the world!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back