Jaysus cycling! (3 Viewers)

That sounds like a load of bollox, helmets are designed to absorb the impact so your skull doesn't have to.

How can the brain get a jolt if the helmet's on too tight, surely no matter how tight the helmet the brain is still as loose in your skull as it would be without a helmet?

I assume the brain does not move as much when you've no helmet on because the skull absorbs the impact moreso than a tight helmet would. Anyway, that was what I heard from the DCC guy. Here's an article from the NY Times about the effectiveness of helmets. I don't see why they should be compulsory, personal choice, it is your own noodle after all.

Hmmm, I can't see how people being shot at in WWII has anything to do cycling helmets unless it's got to do making sure you've got a helmet that fits properly. In which case good point.
If you're head flies backward as you fly forward. Or something. I don't know actually. What am I on about?!
Ps the guys with the straps would be dead if they didn't wear the helmets right?

Very much so yes. The thing that was meant to save them actually contributed to killing them. Tragic irony and all that.

After some thought, and referencing that episode of Mythbusters where they shot people, I think that all this strap based stuff is actually BS. The point of it, I don't know.

maims bond: I don't want my tax euro's paying to fix the head of some goon who doesn't want to wear a helmet.

I assume the brain does not move as much when you've no helmet on because the skull absorbs the impact moreso than a tight helmet would. Anyway, that was what I heard from the DCC guy. Here's an article from the NY Times about the effectiveness of helmets. I don't see why they should be compulsory, personal choice, it is your own noodle after all.

I don't get it. If the skull can absorb more impact without a tight helmet, helmets wouldn't exist. I know there's a huge difference between a snug well fitting helmet and a helmet thats too tight/too loose but it still doesn't make sense to me that you'd be better off without one.

I don't see any reason to make them compulsory either. I reckon there's some truth to the idea that motorists give you less space/consideration if you have a helmet on.

When I have a helmet on, I don't feel like a daredevil, I feel like a bender with a bike helmet on. Better than having a broken head though.

maims bond: I don't want my tax euro's paying to fix the head of some goon who doesn't want to wear a helmet.

I don't like my tax euros going to scrape the cancer out of people's lungs from smoking, but I wouldn't demand they stop smoking.

I don't pay tax at the moment anyway so I haven't a leg to stand on here...

i've heard of bomb disposal squads not strapping up their helmets - supposedly because the helmet can act as a kind of parachute to a blast, and if it's not strapped on, it'll just lift clean off your head, but if it is strapped on, the wrench can injure you.
and if that's true, it's the same principle as the not strapping a helmet on for the occasion where someone shoots at you from below, and the bullet misses you but catches your helmet.

the saner arguments against wearing cycling helmets is that drivers give you less room, and you act more dangerously yourself; i.e. a false sense of security on both the cyclist's side and the motorist's side.

as to the argument of your brain rattling around, i invite you to a) heatbutt a brick wall as hard as you can while wearing a helmet, or b) headbutt a brick wall as hard as you can, bare headed.

which do you choose?

So anybody know why pro bmxers where their helmet straps really loose?

We've it down as they must have them padded out really well so they don't fall off too easy.

Edit: What a waste of my 5000 post.

On the helmet issue, I heard a guy from the Dublin Cycling Campaign argue that helmets should not be compulsory. I thought it was odd coming from someone in his position, but he seemed to have a valid argument. He reckoned that helmets can actually exacerbate a head injury because if they are on tight, the brain gets a jolt whereas if you hit your skull, the skull tends to absorb the impact. Don't know how right he is about this though, surely you could just wear the helmet loosely?

there has been research to show that drivers are more wreckless driving beside cyclists with helmets - giving less space, knowcking down etc etc

there has been research to show that drivers are more wreckless driving beside cyclists with helmets - giving less space, knowcking down etc etc

I read an article about that a while back. It also said that drivers are more likely to give female cyclists space than male cyclists. Another point it made was that most helmetsare only built with a crash involving no other vehicles while travelling no faster than 12mph(I think it was mph anyway)
I wear a helmet. I started wearing it because I was blown by strong winds into the back of a parked truck and really fucked up my arm. My bike was pretty beat too and I thought had it been my head I may not be around. I no longer think that would really have been the case though. I do still wear my helmet on my bike even though I'm not entirely convinced of it's protection skills. The reason I wear it is because it's a point in my favour if I'm ever knocked off my bike by a car or whatever. I wanna come across as a safe,aware cyclist.
That letter mentioned a while back,funny how he never mentioned how indicators and yellow boxes don't seem to be compulsory in ireland. At least that's how it seems from my experience.

That's pretty much my entire daily route there.

DCP01404.jpg

That's my favourite.

i put down the deposit on a new bike today. it's my first non-second-hand bike ever. and it's shiny and the brakes work. i am excited.

there's an off-road cycle lane on the lower kilmacud road, at the part where it turns 90 degrees, up near the goat, where the cycle lane goes from off-road to on-road on the inside curve of the bend. whoever designed that has a special grudge against cyclists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back