Jaysus cycling! (1 Viewer)

will that apply to cyclists too?

I love a good challenge me. Getting caught speeding on a bike would be something of a badge of honour I reckon.

We should have a prize for the first thumpeder to get a cycle speeding ticket.

i was kinda hoping the scheme would crash and burn - not because the bikes are a bad idea, but because we essentially handed jc decaux so much public space for a pitiful price.
I'm not sure this is correct but I think part of the deal was to remove some of the existing billboards on the sides of buildings that had no planning permission and as a result the total amount of ad space has been reduced. I'm not defending the ads. I think we should go the way of sao paulo.

will that apply to cyclists too?
Mechanically propelled vehicles only. You can go crazy. 30km/h is easy to hit (as you are probably well aware).

Mechanically propelled vehicles only. You can go crazy. 30km/h is easy to hit (as you are probably well aware).

Is it kph or mph?

kph isn't a challenge. mph - I've never hit 30 on my commute bike (my spin is relatively flat). I did 27mph once sitting on the wheel of a roadie who was tearing down rathgar road towards rathmines, but felt that was as much as the bike could do (plus I was wrecked after it).

The road bike, now thats a different story. Not that 30mph would be easy on the flat, but its definitely doable.

2nd bike gone in 10 mths, one from outside my place in rathmines, and again outside my place in ringsend! Found the lock around the corner chopped with a bolt cutter...

the only solace is it was a bit of a lemon, I'd got it cheap and spent almost the same on it again keep it going, front derailer had gone so I was looking at spending more again and it just wasn't that great a bike.... still...

anyone any recomendations on cheap but cheeful second hand bikes?

2nd bike gone in 10 mths, one from outside my place in rathmines, and again outside my place in ringsend! Found the lock around the corner chopped with a bolt cutter...

the only solace is it was a bit of a lemon, I'd got it cheap and spent almost the same on it again keep it going, front derailer had gone so I was looking at spending more again and it just wasn't that great a bike.... still...

anyone any recomendations on cheap but cheeful second hand bikes?

what sort of locks are people investing in around here?
i've had a kryptonite and always used them never ventured to any of the other lock manufacturers purely based on their history of 'field testing' their locks. the newyorker is called that for the very reason they left an expensive bike on streets there and the only thing nicked was a gear shifter. the lock had been hammered to fuck with no joy. i reckon we should put dublin forward for their lock testing, really see if its all that.

decent u locks seem to be more of a deterrent than cable locks primarily because it requires a tool with some lengthy leverage (pipe or carjack) that are harder to conceal what you're at. u locks are a pain to carry and in some ways it can seem a bit of a kick in the teeth shelling out 60-100quid (which is often half what most folks bike cost) on a lock but it never beats the feeling of coming round the corner to see the empty space where your bike used to be.

it would be good to have a list of no go areas to park your bike:

northside:
- any of the back streets in or around the cinema on parnell st
- liffey street

i usually try and lock up at the rack beside the gpo as its got cctv there and 2-3 garda on nightduty most times. left a bike there for two nights consecutive and it was luckily still there when i got to it.

as for cheap bike replacements:

www.rothar.ie

what sort of locks are people investing in around here?

I'd invested in a good sealed cable lock, cable covered with a metal shell, over with heavy duty rubber, lock was built into the end of it, cost me about 40 bills, so it wasn't a piece of shit by any means

looking at it closely last night, they dumped the lock up the road, and it's insane that they got through it, these guys are merrily wondering around with a full on long handle set of bolt cutters, they have to be... and there is very little in the way of locks, without something that weighs a ton, that'll get stand a bleedin' bolt cutters

a mate had a bike nicked from Inchicore at 4pm on a friday a while back, he saw a local cop and had a whinge thinking nothing would come of it, turns out the cops had picked the bike up a someone reported two 14 year olds going at it with a bolt cutters, the Gardai told them to clear off but can't prosecute them, which the lads know so they just keep at it

I just think when you're dealing with kids who happily walk around snipping bikes off railings in broad daylight and there is nothing anyone could do to stop them that it's game over really, if they fancy your bike they'll take it and there's is very little, bar making it as much of a pain in the ass as you can, you can do to stop them

decent u locks seem to be more of a deterrent than cable locks primarily because it requires a tool with some lengthy leverage (pipe or carjack) that are harder to conceal what you're at.
I've always assumed u locks were easier to break, also if they're not shy about carrying a bolt cutters, will then carrying a pipe or carjack is no biggie to them

for the future I'm going to get two locks, one heavy mother fucker motor bike lock, that will at least put them off bolt cutting it, and a u lock to lock the front wheel to the frame... I'm hoping two locks will put them off, or if they get through the chain they can't cycle off

as for cheap bike replacements:
www.rothar.ie
am told there's a waiting list there, seems to be really popular, but gonna drop them a line anyhow

ultimately thinking of going on the cycle to work scheme, seems like a great idea

Get a u-lock. Cycological have the mini kryptonite ones, which are harder to break, discounted at the moment.They're €35 I think. Do you leave your bike outside at night or was it robbed during the day?

I'd second rothar, good people up there.

Sorry to hear about your bike.

Yeah get a Kryptonite, get a small or large orange one and if you have the money get a Yellow one. Ask for one of those Auxilliary cables for around your wheels. They come with the grey locks at the moment. They took one out of the packet and sold it seperate to me in Cycleogical for €7.

You basically want to make your bike less stealable than the ones around it. Bolt cutters can be bought for next to nothing and concealed under a long coat, so I wouldn't get another cable lock.

Anyways, there are loads of bikes being parked around town you could steal with a few allen keys and spanners. Some people are terrible at locking. And some of the locks they use, you could chew through.

The ground floor of Drury St. Car Park is all bicycle parking nowadays lads. I think there's 200 spaces, with CCTV, security etc.

3904154457_cbe9422a96.jpg

I'd invested in a good sealed cable lock, cable covered with a metal shell, over with heavy duty rubber, lock was built into the end of it, cost me about 40 bills, so it wasn't a piece of shit by any means

looking at it closely last night, they dumped the lock up the road, and it's insane that they got through it, these guys are merrily wondering around with a full on long handle set of bolt cutters, they have to be... and there is very little in the way of locks, without something that weighs a ton, that'll get stand a bleedin' bolt cutters

a mate had a bike nicked from Inchicore at 4pm on a friday a while back, he saw a local cop and had a whinge thinking nothing would come of it, turns out the cops had picked the bike up a someone reported two 14 year olds going at it with a bolt cutters, the Gardai told them to clear off but can't prosecute them, which the lads know so they just keep at it

I just think when you're dealing with kids who happily walk around snipping bikes off railings in broad daylight and there is nothing anyone could do to stop them that it's game over really, if they fancy your bike they'll take it and there's is very little, bar making it as much of a pain in the ass as you can, you can do to stop them

I've always assumed u locks were easier to break, also if they're not shy about carrying a bolt cutters, will then carrying a pipe or carjack is no biggie to them

for the future I'm going to get two locks, one heavy mother fucker motor bike lock, that will at least put them off bolt cutting it, and a u lock to lock the front wheel to the frame... I'm hoping two locks will put them off, or if they get through the chain they can't cycle off

am told there's a waiting list there, seems to be really popular, but gonna drop them a line anyhow

ultimately thinking of going on the cycle to work scheme, seems like a great idea

unfortunately cable locks are only suitable as a secondary device for keeping wheels and saddle tied up from a quick snatch and run. U locks made of a solid piece of tempered steel whereas cable locks can be eaten into one one strand at a time until each wrapped strand is cut through. the really good (ie very expensive) kryptonite U locks have a doglegged connector at one end that stops the lock being poppped by leverage from a pole or possibly a carjack. i'm not saying these locks are invincible but its the increased time it takes to break them that deters thiefs.

using two locks will increase security but it will also increase your bag weight and wont guarantee your bike will be safe. if you want near guaranteed protection you'll pay for it - high quality chain a bolt lock cost 1000 upwards

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/List.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1002

its a real pain but pretty much the only way to keep your bike safe is to park it in an area with guaranteed all day pedestrian traffic and on a main route not a quiet residential side street.

also try to see if during the course of a day you can move your bike. If someones checking out bikes they'll go for the one thats been in same spot all day or that follows a routine. If they see your bike moved during the day but at different times each day then they'll probably ignore it.

if its a fancy bike then muck it up a little. tape up the frame with ductape/gaffertape. if you bought your bike for city use and its lightweight features then having fancy decals and shiny diskbrakes is a big advertisement to knick it. even just to make the bike not brand new looking can be enough to deter people.

if anyones interested i'm looking to get a map up of areas where bikes have been nicked/tampered with so we can get a better idea of where all this is happening. just pm me or post details of where and when you had a bike nicked, the more exact the location the better. i think it would go a long way to helping people decide where's safe to park up.

one major problem is the blackmarket sale of stolen bikes. until there is no market for these little pricks to steal and sell then bike crime wont go down enough to be just passing vandalism. its been known that some students buy bikes on the cheap off people who dont seem to be legit in selling them, or wouldnt know they werent (ie erasmus students)

bike shops do keep track of bikes they sell and their owners and individually are quite good at checking if a second hand bike for sale is dodgy but theres still the problem of one to one sales from buyandsell and the likes.

ah, wet leaves on the road.

snotted myself this morning on some. Good fun.

Worst of all, I busted my front brake calipers. Managed to get a makeshift setup going to get me through to the weekend. But load of shite. Can I sue someone for not cleaning up the leaves?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back