Italian squad for Ireland match (1 Viewer)

Re: Hunt moving to an Italian club - stranger things have happened! His combination of dribbling skills, workrate and ability to dive would make him ideal for a middle of the road Italian club.

In truth it would might make sense for more Irish lads to move to mainland Europe, seeing as it's so difficult to get into an English Prem side these days. Sure you can play in the Championship, but would you rather have your biggest games of the season against Birmingham and Wolves or Roma and Juve?

I thought Noel Hunt was excellent when he came on. Brought a real spark, and actually delivered the best cross of the night. And he might have scored the goal.
Lay off him.

Noel Hunt is a "game lad". Also "a good player, not a great player."

More than worth a spot in the current squad though.

Noel performed the job his brother usually does, raised the tempo even higher and he must have made the Italian defenders curse him.

Pair of nutcases the pair of 'em, in a good way.

1224243863347_1.jpg

Love this pic.

What's the story with the play offs???
According to the BBC website

"The eight best runners-up go into four play-off matches with the winner of each two-legged tie also reaching South Africa"

But group 9 only has five teams so the runner up there obviously won't have a fair chance on a points total so will it be on % of games won or results against the qualifier or something??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/5179512.stm

Looking at the current runners up, I'd be wary of Croatia, Russia and France if they stay second. Getting a shot at revenge over the Swizz would be nice.

"The eight best runners-up go into four play-off matches with the winner of each two-legged tie also reaching South Africa"

But group 9 only has five teams so the runner up there obviously won't have a fair chance on a points total so will it be on % of games won or results against the qualifier or something??

Looking at the current runners up, I'd be wary of Croatia, Russia and France if they stay second. Getting a shot at revenge over the Swizz would be nice.

With groups that have 6 teams playing in them the results of matches against the 6th place side in the group won't be counted towards deciding the playoff spots. Currently we are 8th in the second place team table with Croatia 9th but we and they have only played the currently 5th place team only the once and we've drawn that game, we've played the 6th place team twice and beaten them on both occasions. So basically if we beat Macedonia at home OR if Georgia manages to overtake them (which is unlikely considering their remaining fixtures, their visit to Podgorica or however you spell it is key) then we'll jump up the second place table by 3-4 spots. Of course, there's still the matter to securing second place. Which I still feel we're favourites to do.

I'd expect France to eventually win their group and consign a much more beatable Serbia to second place. Portugal have had an awful start to their campaign too and realistically might be targeting a second place finish. Norn Iron (have a very tough final fixture list) and Slovakia could both let Poland and the Czechs in.

All the same, there's plenty of beatable sides vying for a second place finish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)#Ranking_of_second-placed_teams

Norn Iron. Dream/nightmare tie.

Norn Iron. Dream/nightmare tie.

Jesus - don't even think about it! Imagine if we lost a playoff to them, we'd never hear the end of it. They'd bust a gut to knock us out of the World Cup. They have a tough run-in in their group anyway, need to get away results against the Czechs and Poles to have a realistic chance of 2nd place.

That actor who was in the General and the Crying Game was watching the match in the same pub as me. Kept cursing John O'Shea under his breath like an angry manager: 'O'Shea you fucking donkey'. Hilarious.

This is the fella.

AdrianDunbar.jpg

Jesus - don't even think about it! Imagine if we lost a playoff to them, we'd never hear the end of it. They'd bust a gut to knock us out of the World Cup. They have a tough run-in in their group anyway, need to get away results against the Czechs and Poles to have a realistic chance of 2nd place.

Can't envisage them getting a play-off place. They've been beaten away in Slovakia and Slovenia, have played San Marino twice, beat Poland thanks to Boruc and, from watching the highlights, could easily have been beaten by Slovenia last night.
If they fluked it and got a place I'd LOVE to be drawn with them.

Can't envisage them getting a play-off place. They've been beaten away in Slovakia and Slovenia, have played San Marino twice, beat Poland thanks to Boruc and, from watching the highlights, could easily have been beaten by Slovenia last night.
If they fluked it and got a place I'd LOVE to be drawn with them.

Yeah, on paper if they got a 2nd place spot they'd probably be the weakest team in there but I have nightmare visions of them getting everybody behind the ball in Croke Park, coming away with a 0-0 and then us heading up for a nice warm welcome in Windsor Park needing a result.. You're right though, given their away record it's unlikely that they'll pull off the necessary results required for 2nd..

Just watching the highlights of the game again. I'd totally forgotten about Whelan's deflected shot near the end. So close!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StCiz3Hspcw"]YouTube - Italia Irlanda 1-1 Qualificazioni mondiali 2010-Pazzini + GUADAGNA CON INTERNET[/ame]

Just heard on Off the ball that Stephen Hunt had concussion for most of the game and can't remember a thing! Trap should take a hammer and give him a whack on the head before the Bulgaria match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back