Italian squad for Ireland match (4 Viewers)

RTE end the great debate of our time using controversial new footage (it's Keane's goal, deffo):
http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0403/1news_av.html?2519865,null,230

A bit embarassing for Hunt, but he can make it up by scoring the winner in the Bulgaria game, okay?

I stand corrected. Hunt does indeed take a big swing at it and miss the ball completely!! He has some neck to claim it on that evidence, but he had me fooled. I'm sorry I doubted you Robbie. You're new messiah celebration was totally warranted.

You win this round, Robbie.......

7.jpg

Full highlights from Ireland-Italy in Italia 90 if you're in the mood for a nostalgia-fest. I'd forgotten how great Sheedy was plus you also get to see McGrath when he still had knee cartilage. Still hate that ref though. The quality of the both teams compared to the other night is astounding, or maybe it's just the nostalgia.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

the game was so much slower then, even still had the back pass. there was more time on the ball, less emphasis on just running around.

it's true though, about the lack of passing etc, the italians were canny last week giving us so much of the ball, we hadn't a clue what to do with it. typical that it took a long ball to get the goal... just like in italia ninety, eh? why fix what ain't broke. long ball all the way. back in 90 the ball was still the most important thing, now it's the ability to run endlessly.

It has to be one of the worst Italian teams I can remember, despite being World Champions.
Previous Italian teams would still have taken us to the cleaners with 10 men in terms of possession, but we dominated the other night.

italians don't do it like that. if it had ended 1-0 they'd have been more than happy. it's not the greatest squad, but people said pretty much the same thing in 2006. they'll be happy to do another 7 1-0's on their way to winning it again.

italians are a bit like the english in that the press are unnecessarily harsh, all the fucking time. fucks with their flow, man. so they become more and more cautious. also, goes to show just what a difference an actual world class keeper makes.

I think Tom Humphries said once that the love an Italian mother has for her son is measured by his ability to defend a one goal lead.

Sums them up pretty well.

italians are a bit like the english in that the press are unnecessarily harsh, all the fucking time. fucks with their flow, man. so they become more and more cautious.

That's a good point. Also, most Italians who support a club side pretend that they don't care about the national team, unless they reach the semi-finals of a major tournament that is, when they duly jump on the bandwagon with gusto. If they fall at the first hurdle they (the national team) are treated with utter contempt by the press and public.

That's a good point. Also, most Italians who support a club side pretend that they don't care about the national team, unless they reach the semi-finals of a major tournament that is, when they duly jump on the bandwagon with gusto. If they fall at the first hurdle they (the national team) are treated with utter contempt by the press and public.
like england, i also think this compounded by the fact that nearly all of the squad play at home, and are subject to the press at all times. i had a really good point about this when france won the w.c. but italy winning it last time scuppered it. it was a good point, i.e. teams whose players play all over europe, or oout of the country of origin do better because there's a sense of togetherness when they get to gether and they are somewhat protected from the home press when they're out of the country.

it's no coincidence that spain won the euros they had players who didn't even play in spain! now there's a country that traditionally didn't export players, and when they did, they were awful.. farinos at inter, mendieta at lazio, jose mari at milan, etc. i think a player coming in from a completely different league gives the entire team a new perspective...

remember when they stopped picking zola? i always thought it cos he was no longer in the bosom of his country. we donna needa you no mora, franco. phhhhft.

like england, i also think this compounded by the fact that nearly all of the squad play at home, and are subject to the press at all times. i had a really good point about this when france won the w.c. but italy winning it last time scuppered it. it was a good point, i.e. teams whose players play all over europe, or oout of the country of origin do better because there's a sense of togetherness when they get to gether and they are somewhat protected from the home press when they're out of the country.

it's no coincidence that spain won the euros they had players who didn't even play in spain! now there's a country that traditionally didn't export players, and when they did, they were awful.. farinos at inter, mendieta at lazio, jose mari at milan, etc. i think a player coming in from a completely different league gives the entire team a new perspective...

remember when they stopped picking zola? i always thought it cos he was no longer in the bosom of his country. we donna needa you no mora, franco. phhhhft.

Agreed about the media spotlight affecting the players. There is so much pressure to win both in Italy and England. Your theory is a good one even though Italy won the World Cup in 2006. Much of that can be put down to the Calciopoli scandal and the subsequent attempted sucide of ex-Juve and Italy defender Gianluca Pessotto which really galvanised the squad and created a siege mentality (plus the referee giving Italy a non-existant penalty against Australia!! : ).

Zola was harshly treated by Italy alright, but so was Baggio when Totti, Pirlo and Del Piero came to the fore. What they'd give to have either of them now! Remember Zola's goal against England in 97/98? Sweet strike.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcDEOYWu80E&feature=PlayList&p=1EF060B54DEDB27B&index=0&playnext=1"]YouTube - England-Italy 0-1 (Zola) - Wembley 1997[/ame]

Agreed about the media spotlight affecting the players. There is so much pressure to win both in Italy and England. Your theory is a good one even though Italy won the World Cup in 2006. Much of that can be put down to the Calciopoli scandal and the subsequent attempted sucide of ex-Juve and Italy defender Gianluca Pessotto which really galvanised the squad and created a siege mentality (plus the referee giving Italy a non-existant penalty against Australia!! : ).

Zola was harshly treated by Italy alright, but so was Baggio when Totti, Pirlo and Del Piero came to the fore. What they'd give to have either of them now! Remember Zola's goal against England in 97/98? Sweet strike.

YouTube - England-Italy 0-1 (Zola) - Wembley 1997
even allowing for ian walker in goal... am i right that that was zola's last ever game for italy?

even allowing for ian walker in goal... am i right that that was zola's last ever game for italy?

Pretty much, he wasn't selected for France 98 if I remember correctly, despite that goal.

Ian Walker must be a candidate for the worst England goalkeeper ever, if not the worst international goalie full stop. His Playgirl spread is supposed to be great though, at least according to a mate who supports Spurs and likes blondes.

England seemed to be pretty susceptible to the ball over the top to ridiculously talented player tactic in those days. Can't find it on YouTube but Bergkamp scored an amazing lob against them from a, I think it was, De Boer pass in that time frame.

Zola's most memorable international moment was probably nearly fucking Italy in USA '94 by getting questionably sent off in the second phase against Nigeria

(plus the referee giving Italy a non-existant penalty against Australia!! : ).

I thought that was a legitimate penalty. Sure it was harsh, and the Italians made the most of it, but that Australian fella gave it away as soon as he left the ground to slide on his hole for no apparent reason. If he'd stayed on his feet and just put pressure on the player, it probably would have just ended in a corner or a goal kick.

edit: and upon checking up, who was it running into Australia's box to win the penalty? Grosso. The same guy who later scored a rocket in the semi final against Germany I believe? The Italians must have done their homework though, telling him to run up the left wing against Ireland. He obviously doesn't do it in every game or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back