Is there any point in me bothering to buy a book about VB? (1 Viewer)

billygannon

Contributor
Designing Access-based stuff at the moment. Is there any point in getting some VB Script books?

And if so, any recommendations?

Web-sites and resources on the web would be most welcome.

Depends how...proficient you are. I found the basic Access books to be utter shite if you have any sort of background in development, and ended up buying a VB/SQL Server 2000 book which was 50% useful, because a lot of the VB/VBA stuff and code examples (building dynamic queries from forms etc.) they covered applied to Access too. Your mileage may vary, I was doing VB modules in college at the time, so it all just mulched into one. I'll have a look for the books/titles when I get home...

Thanks!
Are you that blonde fella who worked in the Stag's Head? Or is that Hits Like A Girl?

Update: The best book I got was Wrox's "Beginning Access 2000 VBA" which is now out of date (unless you're developing for Access 2000 DBs, a lot of people still are) but it has in fact been updated to this
and there's presumably an Access XP version that may still be available.
If you're in Dublin, you're more than welcome to my copy, I didn't pay for it and it's been sitting on a shelf since 2002 - the core concepts haven't changed, and the code still works.

Whelan Bicycle Kick said:
Designing Access-based stuff at the moment. Is there any point in getting some VB Script books?

And if so, any recommendations?

Web-sites and resources on the web would be most welcome.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp

web development / windows script technologies / VBScript / reference

that should cover most of what you need to know.
sitepoint.com have good forums to handle anything else you will need to know. Never did any Access dev, only used VBScript for asp pages, it was fairly straightforward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back