is a credit really too much to ask? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter RSJ
  • Start date
  • Replies 77
  • Views 9K
  • Watchers 3

RSJ

Website
www.gravelbox.net
So i took a photo of a musician before christmas and sent a link to them the next day. Got no reply, that was fine. A few weeks ago someone told me the photo was a comment on another myspace with no credit, so i tracked it back and they had used it as a profile pic. I sent a message saying thanks very much, and i'm really honored they'd use my pic, and if they wouldn't mind, could they put my name on the photo and maybe a link to my site. Read but no reply and no credit. A few weeks later i sent the same message. Again, read but no reply and no comment. So i commented on the photo saying "thanks for using the photo, and if anyone wants to see more photos from the gig, they're at x website". Comment was deleted shortly afterwards.

So at this point i'm pissed and i leave a comment on their profile saying i'd seen them live twice and really enjoyed it, all i was asking was to have MY NAME with MY PHOTO (emphasis here not there)?

So then i got this back:

truly screw you, man. People steal my art every day and I don't harass them for listening to illegal mp3s. I'm flattered that they like my songs. Are you kidding? Did you ask my permission to steal my soul with your evil camera eye? And then you act like a jerk and speak crudely on my myspace page and try to make me look bad. I do my best to be a nice person and you are being a jerk. I will delete your photo from my profile, if that makes you feel satisfied.

I don't care if you think you enjoyed my show. You obviously didn't GET IT.

If you don't stop posting nasty comments I will block your profile because you are acting like a stalker. I don't even know if you are the person who took that photograph. It's a nice photo and I like it. Somebody posted it in the comments section of my page and I transferred it to the permanent photo section. It looks like the kind of photo a nice person would take. You don't seem very nice, though, BRIAN. And if this is just your way of getting me to notice you, I think that's sick.

hexes,
Is it really that big a deal to get your name with a photo? Maybe i should just stop giving away photos for nothing if that's people's attitude when they get it for nothing. Fuxache.

What the hell? This guys is completely insane.. Over a simple photo credit like! When I read this comment: "You don't seem very nice, though, BRIAN." I keep think "if that even really is your real name, stalker!" to be after it.

Name and shame! so others can avoid inadvertantly giving away nice artwork to the likes of them, that is a completely insane response...don't let it put you off though I'm sure loads of bands appreciate the good work you do!

"Did you ask my permission to steal my soul with your evil camera eye?"

really makes ye think...

id love to know who this is.... what a perfect cunt.

i dont understand, what didnt you supposidly not get at their show?

name and fucking shame that bastard asshole.

brian i think in future maybe you should just use photoshop and make your name or website a part of the photograph - that way it is there for all to see and cannot be removed

Yeah, definitely. I just hate photos with addresses and shit on them.

And i'll not name and shame. I'd be dying for a name too but i'm not posting this to sling some shit at someone, i'm just... Amazed at the ignorance. She obviously doesn't get too much fanmail if three or four myspace messages in a few months counts someone as a stalker. And the last line that i'm trying to get her to notice me........ Insane.

Lets start guessing.

Emm. American woman. Young, say less than 30. Into neuvo hippy spiritual bollocks. Probably toured Ireland over the last 6 months. Writes her own lyrics and stuff.

Total spa.

Tricky one this.

Maybe just put such photos up on Flickr under a Creative Commons restricted licence. At least then, you can piint to that and tell to to either take it down or ask for a credit.

Sounds like a real gobshite.

Most people who want to use photos are usually sound and ask permission first.

That's just plain rude.

Yeah, definitely. I just hate photos with addresses and shit on them.

so many of my band photos have ended up on various websites without me being credited, even when I specifically asked. I tried to do the whole address thing, but it was more trouble than it was worth, and in one case they just photoshopped it out.

some people have no rearin' on them

so many of my band photos have ended up on various websites without me being credited, even when I specifically asked. I tried to do the whole address thing, but it was more trouble than it was worth, and in one case they just photoshopped it out.

some people have no rearin' on them
That's the fear isn't it, that they'll lob off a piece of the image so as to get rid of the stamp, only to ruin the photo. And the commons licence thing don't work either - some friends of mine were doing a split 7" together and the guitarist had a hack for myspace to get all image sizes (and even hidden photos) so he just took the high res versions of the images of the two bands and used them for either side of the inlay. Not that i mind seeing as they gave me credit, just shows that if someone wants the photo, they'll find a way to take it.

Could you throw some text up right in the centre of the photo with your link and/or name on it?
Send it to them, say "I took this, hope you like it".
If they wanna use it, they can get back to you for an unmolested version.
In return for a credit.

is this the pic in question?

brianspic.jpg

Could you throw some text up right in the centre of the photo with your link and/or name on it?
In return for a credit.

Nah, it’s best to use a soft touch for these things, otherwise you seem like a dick, and they’ll just use some other photo from some other person.

In return for a credit.
That kinda thing looks terrible, and means all the other people who see the photo will probably see the watermark first and foremost.

is that her though? if so, fucking cow. i have a mind to bombard her with messages asking why she wont just take the photo down or credit you with it.

silly big-featured cow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back