Irish rebels songs go politically correct.... (1 Viewer)

Sands_Bobby_050581.jpg

"Ta ocras orm"

lets open up the debate again. which statement hold more truth?

The wolfe tones' brand of 'talent' appeals to the most reactionary, narrow minded and moronic base of irish republican.

ALL british people are cunts.

Lets mull it over and eh, toicfaidh air la yeah?

seanc said:
I know folks've been writing rebel songs for a long time. I know that plenty of trad acts sing them. The Wolfe Tones do it purely because they know people, and from what I saw, very stupid people, will pay money to hear it. And the money is all them boys care about. The Wolfe Tones lads spent the gig looking back at the roadie's etc, rolling their eyes, shaking their heads, and laughing at the celtic jersey wearing crowd of fools. They showed no respect for their fans, they showed no respect for people that'd have a genuine grievance with the British etc (the family's of hunger strikers, etc), they showed no respect for Irish history and they showed no respect for those other acts and songwriters who wrote and played Rebel/Republic/whatever you want to call them songs, and who wrote them with some feeling and meaning. The Tones take all those ideas and issues, and piss all over them.

Thats what I fucking meant.

really ? is that what you meant, you were whinging on about trad being bastardised by "inciteful Ra stuff", now your worried about the feelings of Bernadette McKevitt ? Your argument seems a little conflicted all over the shop, on one hand you are complaing about the celtic jersey wearing fools at the Wolfe Tones, on the other hand you are complaining about the Wolfe Tones laughing at said fools. On one hand you are moaning about Ra stuff in their songs, on the other hand you are worried about the feelings of the familys of Ra men who have died. So it's ok to be in the IRA just not sing songs about it ? Right, you've cleared things up there grand.

Sop as long as were all in agreeance (not sure if thats a word not bother either) that we all supportt the ra love the tones and enjoying singing songs about the ra. :D

This is one of the more interesting threads I've read of late.
What i wanna know is when are the 'tones, Eire óg etc gonna write stirring songs about the Omagh bombing and all those other glorious recent blows against perfidious Albion?

The Omagh bombing was a disaster. The ira were making another show of strength they never intended on killing anyone in that. That is why the phone in a warning 2 to 3 hours earlier and the RUC moved the people there towards the bomb instead of away and before you say the message may have been vague it wasn't if the reports i hear are true. This was a british operation to try and take public support away from the republican movement and unfortunately it worked.

The Scientician said:
This is one of the more interesting threads I've read of late.
What i wanna know is when are the 'tones, Eire óg etc gonna write stirring songs about the Omagh bombing and all those other glorious recent blows against perfidious Albion?

Well depending on whether you believe everything you read on the internet or not.
I've seen posts on other bulletin boards about sightings of people in Celtic jersies which commemorate IRA bombings on the back 'Enniskillen 87, Warrington 93, Omagh 98' etc.

While I've no doubt that there are people out there who condone such atrocities I find it hard to imagine that any sports shop would agree to put such a inscription on the jersey.

Theres been tv documentarys on about ti. BBC did one a while back and even they said that a warning was called in much earlier and the BBC are hardly IRA sympathisers. I have personnaly seen anyone with a celtic shirt with things like that written on the back but it wouldn't surprise me theres alot of scum that are so called "REPUBLICANS" same way as i can admit that there are alot of people dedicated to the loyalist/unionist ideals(However Big Wean Paisley isn't one lol). Sports shops will put anything on a shirt for you, and these people might have friends wokring there, that could do this for them.

JohnnyRaz said:
The wolfe tones have made their career pandering to the sort of gobshite armchair republicanism that wears a celtic jersey with 'eire 32' on the back of it and is possessed of an ignorance of irish history that would make hollywood blush....

Strange considering there such patriots and all that theyve never had any hits in irish, and that their very name is a shite pun on the name of a republican icon.

a republican icon who was a prod!:rolleyes: those tones are bargain basement stupid. anyone remember them shouting down vincent browne on the late late a few years ago??

You know what's deadly.... one night last week we were havin a session and there was about ten of us in the room and someone stuck on Africa by Toto and the whole room went nuts and sang along and it was a deadly vibe. I'd say that's what it's like for loads of people who go to wolf tones gigs with their mates. I'd say for loads of heads it's just music they grew up with. That happens to be ferociously political. I imagine though that alot of people who go to see em take the whole thing with a pinch of salt.

Oh, and while there's a big swingin mi
ckey full of stereotyping going on about people who go to those gigs re. their historical knowledge..... fink abaah what you're saying.
I've had the pleasure of sitting and listening to a group
of men who aint educated beyond primary school and who have Dublin accents as thick as a Brazilian footballers thigh, who have told me how much they love going to ballad sessions and the like- discuss Irish history and the troubles. They were well read, articulate and knew a fuck of a lot more than me about it.

Just my experien
ce. sayin

aoifed said:
You know what's deadly.... one night last week we were havin a session and there was about ten of us in the room and someone stuck on Africa by Toto and the whole room went nuts and sang along and it was a deadly vibe.

there seems to be a serious Toto revival happening in galway, based around their song "hold the line":rolleyes: :eek: :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back