Irish rebels songs go politically correct.... (1 Viewer)

IrishUnsigned

Website
www.irishunsigned.com
My nephew asked me to download him some "modern rebel songs". Those were his words. I have a cable modem and a seriously good file-sniffing program that finds pretty much anything anywhere.

He said "See if you can find a band called 'Eire Og'"

I was looking forward to hearing a new Irish band who play new Irish rebel or nationalistic songs. What did I find? They're not 'Eire', they're Scottish and they're not 'Og' either, they sound older than the Dubliners! More worryingly, they altered the lyrics to (presumably) avoid offending the British legal system, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of rebel songs, no?

Just one example: "Get Out Ye Black And Tans" became "Get Out Ye British Huns". I guess that must be because the Black And Tans period of British involvement here has been officially glossed over in the history texts (it's not even mentioned in their school books if I remember correctly).

Naturally, there were all sorts of references to the 'Ra', but it was all too politically correct.

Now, I'm not advocating that there should be a bloody uprising but I think it's a bit lame when a British band (Scotland *is* still part of Britain, after all) re-write Irish anti-British rebel songs in such a was as not to cause too much offence and then Irish kids think this is rebel music!

The reason for this rant (as if I need one, right?) is that these Eire Og characters are apparently better known among the average Celtic-supporting teenager than the subjects of their songs (ie Crumlin Road Jail, James Connolly, and so on). And that's just plain sad - that ttenagers are getting their history lessons in their own culture by this means.

Maybe this should be in the political forum! Seriously, anyone heard of these guys before? Is this a new phenomena - the politically correct rebel singer? Is there going to be an upsurge in anti-anti-British sentiment now.

No?

Okay, I'll go back to sleep...

When my scottish aunt married a protestant, I got into an argument with an old orangeman at the reception (he wouldn't go to the wedding, just the reception) who said "Black and Tans? I thought that was a kind of whisky!"

I was only ickle (10 or so), and my Irish grandfather gave me a crisp new fiver when he heard about it.

Also, I moonwalked in the wedding video.

it's somewhat of a sad reflection on irish society that the biggest-selling single ever on the island of ireland is the fascist kitsch of the wolfe tones' "the helicopter song", written and released in the aftermath of an i.r.a. breakout from long kesh using a helicopter.

..yeah..
I experienced this first hand up in johnny foxes about a month ago. I was at a pre wedding getting to know you thing for a friend o' mine, he is american and his parents thought it would be good wholesome "craic" to hold this thing up there..anyway they have this floor show which is all trad dancing et all and the house band are this kinda dubliner tribute thingy..I noticed whislst drunkenly singing along that they had changed the words to some of the songs...guess it had to be tourist friendly as there were tons of sasnachs over on a stag weekend...1916 never happened..etc....they were still refering to england as the mainland..the mainland of what?????!bog

You obviously don't know much that song is usually mixed with the original Black and Tans as it is used to commenerate the 14 dead civilians in Derrys streets during bloody sunday. These people where shot dead by british para troopers so there for you can't really call them black and tans. Gary Og the lead singer of Eire Og is actually and irish man it was his backing band that was Glasgow based. Eire Og are hardly Going politically correct to suit the british thats just a joke and Eire Og are famous for their song go on home british soldiers and take it down form the mast. Down from the mast is a song about how they preceive freestaters as traitor and don't deserve the Irish flag, which isn't going to help their cd sales as southerns could take offence at it, there fore they sing what they believe not whats easy to me.:D

Don't know about the 'politically correct' thing. Calling your song 'Get Out You British Huns' has a pretty serious contemporary sectarian resonance.

Alot of people hold different meanisgs to the word hun to glasgow and scotland in simply means a Rangers FC fan, over here it is generally used to imply an officer of the British state, however you have a point in the fact that some sectarians use the word hun to signify a protestant which is wrong as far as being republican is concerned as the main goal of republicanism is to untied Ireland not just as a nation but as a people In the words of Theobald Wolfetone the father of republicanism (a Protestant i might add) "to unite catholic protestanmt or dissenter."

Davey,

You clearly feel strongly on this issue, and you seem to know more about it than anyone else....

BUT....

I'd understand your points a lot better if you used some spelling and punctuation.

Anyway, like Egg up there, I can't sing rebel songs. Not only for reason's of conscience, but also for reasons of intelligence, and taste in music. Went to Wolfe Tones gig (my mate was roadie-ing, I didn't give them any of my own money) and it was the most embarrassing display i ever saw. I was utterly sickened by them

Im sorry if my punctuation is off that is not intended, if you think thats bad you shoudl see my text talk lol.

What was it about the Gig that disgusted you so? Im just wondering this out of a case of personnel interest.

i love that song that goes "ooh ahh up the 'RA". If it just said something else instead of that, like "ooh ahh Paul McGrath" or "ooh ahh, Al Qu'aida" then I could sing it in public. But alas.....

HERE WE GO AGAIN! (yah!)

FUCK!!!

I wrote a very long reply there explaining how digusted I was by the Wolfe Tones gig.

But it took so long to write that I got logged out while writing.

Sorry Davey, but I'm not gonna write it again, it was just too long, and made me more than a little angry while I was writing.

I know a bar manager in a venue where the Wolfe Tones have played a few times.

He says it's hilarious. Full of plastics.
He has never seen any of the punters wear a League of Ireland football shirt. Even Ireland shirts are rare. Loads of Celtic ones though.

Some republicans have a funny way of demonstrating their politics/views. I'd wager some of those fellas wouldn't be averse to reading English tabloids either.

I mentioned that in my original post, the one that got lost. Yeah they all love the Premier league soccor, the News of the World, Oasis, Coronation Street. But they hate the English.

Idiots

fuck, I'm angry again.............................

modern rebel songs ?

Factotum put out a Cd/Book called 'Belfast Songs' with interpretations of songs about Belfast by the likes of V/VM, Jansky Noise, The Evolution Control Committee and Janek Schaefer.

The songs range from historical folk songs such as the Ballad of
William Bloat (about a murderer on the Shankill road) to recent pop
songs (Through the Barricades by Spandau Ballet) taking in James
Taylor, Boney M, Elton John and Nancy Griffiths on the way. Discover
some long forgotten punk classics (like Belfast Telegraph by Shock
Treatment) and the real meaning of Belfast Cowboys by Pretty Things.
http://www.factotum.org.uk/projects/belfastsongs.html

Al Jolson's "Mammy" act is probably a classic example of un-PC music. "Harmless" music that has nothing to do with politics [lyrically] or things of that nature... That said, performances of the song and the 'look' to go with are frowned upon these days cos it's just straight up racism! - for the same reasons that lyons tea dropped the dancing minstrels... So why do we look at RACISTS like the dubliners/chieftans/et al like hero's and artists. Their opinions [I'm not knocking them as musicians at all... it's fine if you dig trad or whatever] are racist or perpetuating racism and it should be forgotten about - not banned. Just forgotten.

nlgbbbblth said:
I know a bar manager in a venue where the Wolfe Tones have played a few times.

He says it's hilarious. Full of plastics.
He has never seen any of the punters wear a League of Ireland football shirt. Even Ireland shirts are rare. Loads of Celtic ones though.

Some republicans have a funny way of demonstrating their politics/views. I'd wager some of those fellas wouldn't be averse to reading English tabloids either.

yeah, and if they heard you speaking irish theyd tell you to fuck off back to your own country

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back