Irish Farmers' Market-Purpose? (1 Viewer)

piush

I recently went to Irish Farmers market and what I discovered was stalls for Lebanese food, Crêpes (with sweet chili chicken etc.), Indian curry sauces (coming from England), Display of Spanish olives and olive oil, all kind of vegetables available both in season and out of season and mass produced pies.
What is the purpose of farmer’s market?
Where the spirit of showcasing the local Irish produce has is gone? Are they supposed to sell good quality food that it is both tasty and saving us costs?
Would like to hear your experiences?

Piush
http://www.food-lover.com

You make a good point but isn't the whole point of your post about pimping your website

food-lover.com?

In all the farmer's markets I've worked in locally grown/reared produce made up the vast majority of the food stalls.

.....farmers markets are just there to trick people into paying a premium on ordinary foods.

Dude, thats pretty unfair. Most of them have plenty of small Irish producers selling really nice home produced product. There are some imports, particularly in the fruit and veg stalls, but you can always ask them where the stuff is from...

I know some farmers and they're sound so everyone shut up, you don't know what you're talking about.

The same goes for fox hunting BTW. Noble tradition. Just ask PJ Harvey

Dude, thats pretty unfair. Most of them have plenty of small Irish producers selling really nice home produced product. There are some imports, particularly in the fruit and veg stalls, but you can always ask them where the stuff is from...

i wish i had seen your original post now!i guess i was tarring em all with the one brush but most i have been to are just dudes selling stuff they bought elsewhere,i would fully endorse shopping in farmers markets if they were actually what they claimed to be.

i wish i had seen your original post now!i guess i was tarring em all with the one brush but most i have been to are just dudes selling stuff they bought elsewhere,i would fully endorse shopping in farmers markets if they were actually what they claimed to be.
Ha! It wasn't that bad. I just used expressions like "totally untrue" ranty rant! I know what you're saying though and it is true that some operate like you say. It was good to see tht the Good Practice Standard for Farmers’ Markets was launched in June 2009. There is more about it here..

http://www.bordbia.ie/aboutfood/farmersmarkets/pages/default.aspx

The Good Practice Standard for Farmers’ Markets was launched in June 2009 and to date 34 markets in Ireland have successfully met the criteria of the code, these markets were announced by the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries & Food following two waves of assessment in 2009. All of these markets are identified by this symbol
good-practice-small.gif
on the farmers' market listing below.
Participation in the standard is voluntary and is denoted by a banner and certificate, which markets may display if their application is successful. Click here to download the form and for further details on the Good practice for Farmers' Markets.

I recently went to Irish Farmers market and what I discovered was stalls for Lebanese food, Crêpes (with sweet chili chicken etc.), Indian curry sauces (coming from England), Display of Spanish olives and olive oil, all kind of vegetables available both in season and out of season and mass produced pies.
What is the purpose of farmer’s market?
Where the spirit of showcasing the local Irish produce has is gone? Are they supposed to sell good quality food that it is both tasty and saving us costs?
Would like to hear your experiences?

Piush
http://www.food-lover.com

Empirical evidence or gtfo

in fairness to the OP, our local Saturday market has an Italian stall, one that sells curry sauces, an Egyptian food stall, crepes, etc. as well as the local fruit & veg, butcher & Sheridans cheese.

Doesn't bother me cos we buy our pizza sauce & pesto from the Italian guy & it's yum.

It is true, some farmer's markets, don't have what you would want but we find that a lot of the markets around Youghal and Waterford, where we operate have some of the best markets. I would ask you to look at our website www.abbeyseafood.ie, which shows the Irish Produce that we sell, being fresh fish, caught of the Waterford and Cork coast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back