Irish Cooking thread (1 Viewer)

I'm having a Japanese friend over for Sunday lunch this week, and wanted to make her something Irish, but colcannon is the only (veggie) Irish thing I know how to cook. I'll have to learn how to do boxty.

I do a kick-ass colcannon even if I say so myself, but I'm never quite sure what to serve it with if I'm having a proper posh meal. If it's just me and the youngfella I have it with veggie sausies, but I'd prefer to cook something from scratch for guests. I'm doing a butternut squash roast this time, but that's not very Irish. Any suggestions? (Other than crisp sambos?)

Anything battered- In youghal there is a chipper that does tennis ball sized/shaped battered mash potato thingys with parsley and thyme in them..|..|

I just got back from Greece where every vegetarian dish that isn't a salad appears to be deep-fried. My waistline is not thanking me.

Did you have any haloumi?
...fried.

Did you have any haloumi?
...fried.
Haloumi is more of a Cypriot/ Turkish thing, but I did have some other kind of fried goat's cheese. Mmmmmm, fried cheese..... fat, dipped in fat and fried in fat....

I have served grilled haloumi as an accompaniment to colcannon, funnily enough. It's a good bacon substitute.

Haloumi is more of a Cypriot/ Turkish thing, but I did have some other kind of fried goat's cheese. Mmmmmm, fried cheese..... fat, dipped in fat and fried in fat....

I have served grilled haloumi as an accompaniment to colcannon, funnily enough. It's a good bacon substitute.

That's a great idea-will be knocking that out for dinner over the weekend methinks. The ole falafel AND haloumi kebabs you get in Berlin are fantastic - we need an oirish spin on that one...

haloumi can fuck off.
it tastes like rubber with salt on it and most people i've met that liked it i've inevitably ended up hating.
cunts.

baked coddle sounds interesting,gonna give it a shot,i do like the texture of sausages boiled though.

Baked Coddle with a casserole style pastry!

By jeepers I think we're getting somewhere.Better make sure that Darina Allen one dose'nt get wind of this thread.Now yer one Rachel,I'd let her moddle me coddle.

haloumi can fuck off.
it tastes like rubber with salt on it and most people i've met that liked it i've inevitably ended up hating.
cunts.

You need to get it onto a very hot griddle and eat it immediately to get the proper texture-crispy on the outside, mozzarella like on the inside. come back to us when you 've gotten over your hump.

Had the haloumi and colcannon dinner this evening. Top notch. Thanks LoLo

I made the best colcannon EVAH with the help of an electric chopper/ mixer I got for my birthday, chopped the onions and kale really fine. Substituted sage for mace cause I didn't have any, and it rocked. Japanese friend loved it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back