Irish Cooking thread (1 Viewer)

As I am convinced I invented it, and I definitely love it the most out of everyone in the world, then I think we can count the Koka (or Super) Noodle, Crisps and Ham/Turkey sandwich as a quintessentially Irish treat.
Serve with the rest of the noodles, a cup of bovril and more crisps.
Ensure bread is buttered. White bread only.

As I am convinced I invented it, and I definitely love it the most out of everyone in the world, then I think we can count the Koka (or Super) Noodle, Crisps and Ham/Turkey sandwich as a quintessentially Irish treat.

UR SIK! K!

ok, that is just wrong.

i love colcannon, especially as served by my mam: form colcannon into mini-volcano on plate (singing the music from close encounters optional), pour melted butter into the well, squidge colcannon into melty buttery goodness. nyyyooooommmmm. actually, dammit, i'm a gettin' me some kale for tomorrow and making it. screw you, arteries.

other irish delicacies:
- corned beef (good with the above colcannoncano, as is..)
- proper baked ham
- carrageen pudding

corned beef is actually American innit? Or possibly archaic English. As in corned beef and cabbage is what Americans think is an Irish meal, as opposed to hairy bacon and cabbage.

Well the corned beef is salted beef that would have went on the ships to America. The beef would have been reared, slaughtered, corned and barrelled in and around Cork.
Then the clipper would be loaded during the stop off at Queenstown before heading to the colonies. So, we can probably get away with claiming it as Irish. I mean the proper corned beef, not the Denny's reconstituted stuff.

corned beef is actually American innit? Or possibly archaic English. As in corned beef and cabbage is what Americans think is an Irish meal, as opposed to hairy bacon and cabbage.

must have been adopted here as well at some stage, because it is my "fears and hates all food not cooked in his youth by his dublin mammy" dad's favourite of all dinners. i don't think they went in for exotic americana in the north strand in the 1950s.

Well the corned beef is salted beef that would have went on the ships to America. The beef would have been reared, slaughtered, corned and barrelled in and around Cork.
Then the clipper would be loaded during the stop off at Queenstown before heading to the colonies. So, we can probably get away with claiming it as Irish. I mean the proper corned beef, not the Denny's reconstituted stuff.

As always, you got the good stuff, classic shank.

Salt beef, salt beef is our relief. Salt beef and biscuit bread O!

I'm having a Japanese friend over for Sunday lunch this week, and wanted to make her something Irish, but colcannon is the only (veggie) Irish thing I know how to cook. I'll have to learn how to do boxty.

I do a kick-ass colcannon even if I say so myself, but I'm never quite sure what to serve it with if I'm having a proper posh meal. If it's just me and the youngfella I have it with veggie sausies, but I'd prefer to cook something from scratch for guests. I'm doing a butternut squash roast this time, but that's not very Irish. Any suggestions? (Other than crisp sambos?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back