Irish Cooking thread (2 Viewers)

sounds lovely Mike. Must try and pick some blackberries. Hopefully they'll still be some left

When we were kids, we were the only people who picked blackberries. My mother reckoned it was because people in the famine used to eat them so there was a stigma.

Oh and actually it has to be self-raising flour -- I didn't have any so I lobbed in some baking powder.

There's no really fine cooking tradition here. We were always so dirt poor we were lucky to get anything to eat, nevermind anything tasty.

Now's a chance though to define some unique Irish cuisine.

There's no really fine cooking tradition here. We were always so dirt poor we were lucky to get anything to eat, nevermind anything tasty.

Now's a chance though to define some unique Irish cuisine.

I dunno. I made that excuse to an Italian once. He replied that everyone was always dirt poor everywhere until recently. And yet Italians and French have loads of poor people foods.

I dunno. I made that excuse to an Italian once. He replied that everyone was always dirt poor everywhere until recently. And yet Italians and French have loads of poor people foods.

you should have brought them for a picnic here

Famine_memorial_dublin.jpg

and then told them to shut the fuck up cos of history and stuff and 1916

Coddle-nicest dinner ever.

Take
12 sausages
2 lbs bacon pieces(yer butcher can sort these out for you,tell him its for Coddle)
4 medium onions halved
6 carrots(cut normally not baton)
Spuds
Good quality stock cubes(2 off)

Lob the lot bar the spuds into a pot and cook for about an hour .
Lash in the spuds and continue cooking till they're nice.

Serve with chef brown sauce and crusty white bread.

Serves 4(or 2 twice,as with all stewy dishes it goes all sublime on day 2)

Bingo bongo you're in Coddletown.Population-Satisfaction.

dont know who taught you to make coddle but twasnt a dub thats for sure. bacon 'pieces' and carrots?! what are ya like.

ne'er a healthy veg to cross a coddle pot and dems de rulez. onion and spud thats it. rashers is what you use and not bacon 'pieces'. a coddled egg (egg poached in the boiling coddle stock) is also a treat.

there are two types of coddle - boiled coddle (the unapetising sloppy spud mess that is all flesh coloured and wobbly looking but is delicious) and fancy coddle which is the boiled version baked so the sausages come out crispy and it resembles more a casoulet than a dripping boiled anemic mess. both are finger licking good. best to use a peppery sausage and extra salty rasher in the boiled coddle.

other irish recipe delights

- boxty (potato cakes)
- champ (scientician you've combined champ into your colcannon recipe there with the spring onions but it does sound tasty)
- pea and ham soup
- barmbrack
- oatcakes
- potato bread (sodas already been mentioned with a good dolop of butter and smoked salmon)
- brown scones
- beef and guinness stew (not really traditional but the guinness gives a richer flavour to the sauce and the hops sweeten the taste as well). a lot of people forget about the (beef) mince stew, that sits proudly alongside the beef pieces or lamb stew.
- oysters and mussels, very plentiful on these shores
- smoked cod (or preferably coly now) simmered in milk, super delicious dish with spuds and peas.
- mutton or gammon.

I'm thinking blackberry crumble might be an Irish thing. I made one the other day and it's dead easy. You get some blackberries, which you can pick this time of year in a park or a field. You put these in a baking thingy, stack 'em three blackberries high. Then you make the crumble - I made this up myself: some flour, some of that soft brown sugar and some butter, then mix it with your hands and throw in some porridge oats. Lash that on top of the blackberries and throw some more oats on the top, then bake it for 25 minutes. We had it with custard and it was amazing, the kids savaged it. Blackberries are sweet enough that they don't need sugar.

Yum. Now I want some.

Yum. Now I want some.

you cant! well not until you catch a fairy after a days bramble picking and persuade them to make you there golden autumnal treat. Then when its made put the fairy inside spin the crumble around three times say "g'way outta dat" real loud and dump the crumble in the oven. the fairy helps crisp up the top of the crumble.

to be sure to be sure

Egg and Onion Brennans batch bread sarnies.Wirra package a King.And a canna cola boss.

'tis a great snack for the Irish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back