irish breakfasts (1 Viewer)

I can take or leave mushrooms in a fry.
Actually a large flat mushroom is preferable to smaller ones.

Beans are a no-no and my perception is that they're a British addition.

Crucial
------
Two to three large sausages. Must contain over 70% pork.
The quality of a sausage can make or break a fry.

Two rashers. They must hold their shape. Back rashers preferred.

White pudding and black pudding. Clonakility do a good black but their white is mysteriously lifeless.

Some form of fried potatoes are nice. Chopped small and seasoned with herbs.

The egg. One is generally enough. It must be properly cooked with a soft yolk. No clear bits.

Toast in Rathmines is good, Honest To Goodness too but Howards' Way is the king.

Classic etc...

Good thick cut fresh bread is preferable to toast.

In Belfast I got a deadly fry with soda bread and regular bread, no toast. Best breakfast ever. No idea what the place was called though. toast just doesn't soak up enough of your runny egg/bean juice/ tasty grease you should be able to mop your plate so well that you could serve sushi on it afterward.

I love when you get tea and orange juice. I can take or leave beans but mushrooms are vital. there's a place camden street beside the motorbike shop that makes savage breakfast. and you can get a decent one near the Dunnes head office for a fiver if you don't mind dealing with absolute head the balls serving you and polish lads downing pints at 9am. A bit of Craic after an all nighter not good for your mental health if your sober though.

This is just plain wrong. Mushrooms are amazing. Especially breakfast mushrooms.

i agree. best way to cook mushrooms is to cook in butter or marg not oil, that makes them taste wank. also peel because they are porous and so soak up flavour. if you add a very small amount of milk and black pepper it makes a bit of sauce too, which is yum scrum.

so the difference between english and irish breakfast is we have beans and you have soda bread and potato cakes? but which came first, the english or the irish?? i have to say i looove soda bread and also potato cakes so a combination of all sounds great! my current obsession is scrambled tofu instead of scrambled egg. nom nom nom noms.

p.s. the good thing about beans is because they are saucy and i think you need some wet food usually cos the bread/potato/'meat' combo can be too dry on its own.

peel mushrooms? are you mad?
if life's too short to stuff a mushroom it's definitely too short to peel a mushroom. i'll give it a go though, cos i've got fuck all else to be doing.

I like two eggs, incidentally. More dippage.
i wonder has anyone experimented with serving up a cluster of separated and lightly fried egg yolks instead of whole eggs...that would be ace. and the family anorexic could use the whites for an egg white omelette, fried in water.

PS mushrooms in olive oil are perfectly tasty..

well, as my rather unordered post above says.. you peel the mushrooms then fry them in the marg or butter for a bit then once they're soft add a little tiny bit of milk and then the black pepper (my dad adds salt too but i avoid it), stirring. me and my friend figured out a way of turning this into a creamy pasta sauce by adding mustard and more milk (you need a decent amount of mushrooms) and maybes a bit of stock for flavour. then the veg/fake meat you want. its good. nice for a change with pasta instead of a tomatoey sauce.

well, as my rather unordered post above says.. you peel the mushrooms then fry them in the marg or butter for a bit then once they're softer add a little tiny bit of milk and then then black pepper (me da adds salt too but i avoid it), stirring. me and my friend figured out a way of turning this into a creamy pasta sauce by adding mustard and more milk (you need a decent amount of mushrooms) and maybes a bit of stock for flavour. then the veg/fake meat you want. its good. nice for a change with pasta instead of a tomatoey sauce.
mustard has a whack of salt in, just so's ya know

oh yeah? i meant extra salt, as in from the jar salt. i'm obsessed with soya sauce so i try to avoid other salt. i deffo have to stop with the soy, its gotten out of hand recently.

what do you mean extra salt? salt is salt. most of the salt in the average diet comes from processed food. salt from the shaker is a very minor source.
anyway, i was mad for the soy, til i found out 1 tablespoon=half the recommended daily amount (depending who you believe).

yah i know.. but any salt more than whats in whatever is extra :mad:) but actually i dont eat much processed food at all, i'm just careful. i was just thinking about my dads sauces. he'd happily cook in seawater and think it was mild! apart from that he's a very good cook.
mmm soy. a tablespoon is quite a lot.. hopefully i dont eat that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back