Ireland (7 Viewers)

I don’t really follow, women don’t need special protection under the law if the current legal system actually examines its own standards - good boys with promising careers and no (legally recorded) history of violence should not be getting the soft treatment.

I read this as there being a biological difference between men and women

Men are generally bigger, stronger, and more aggressive than women. It doesn’t mean that a man attacking a man doesn’t matter but a weak man can still do a lot of damage to a woman in a way that doesn’t balance out in the man versus man stakes.

And by inference this difference should be recognised in the courts

Just my own reading though

has there been an upswing in violence in the last few years? the press is awash with stories of ireland being awash with coke; and you'd wonder if that's playing a part in cases like this.
I knew lads that went into the gards and they'd tell you that the level and type of crime is directly related to the most prevalent drug(s) in that area.

something is making these pricks violent and fearless and thats a dangerous combination.

he grabbed her by the hair and puched her; i've read that this was a sign that he knew how to maximise the effectiveness of a punch, as it limits the ability of the head to whip back, mitigating some of the force of the blow. i.e. it's a way to ensure you deliver as much energy from your fist as you can.

my usual go-to example about inconsistency in the courts in ireland was a sitting of the district court in balbriggan last year - so same court, same day, same judge.
one lad in front of the court had been stopped on an e-scooter (he claimed he was walking alongside it) and got 4 penalty points and a €300 fine (for using it without insurance).
the second lad had been driving at 150km/h on the M1, two open cans of beer in the passenger seat, and was over the limit. he got three penalty points anf a €700 fine.

my usual go-to example about inconsistency in the courts in ireland was a sitting of the district court in balbriggan last year - so same court, same day, same judge.
one lad in front of the court had been stopped on an e-scooter (he claimed he was walking alongside it) and got 4 penalty points and a €300 fine (for using it without insurance).
the second lad had been driving at 150km/h on the M1, two open cans of beer in the passenger seat, and was over the limit. he got three penalty points anf a €700 fine.
The courts are usually lenient
But over the limit is usually a straight licence suspension, no?

A friend was drinking in Nancy Blakes over the weekend, it's a really nice pub in Limerick city and has a (normally) decent crowd. A friend of hers turned a guy down who was hitting on her, and his response while walking away was "two to put you down".
Fucking hell. That's what I mean about your man getting socially absolved. What he said in the aftermath of the assault is now a catchphrase on a night out.

The courts are usually lenient
But over the limit is usually a straight licence suspension, no?
sorry, i got that wrong. it was not four points and three points, respectively.
it was a four year and a three year ban, respectively.

found the article about the lad on the e-scooter (paywalled). the other is harder to find, weirdly - it was the same journalist who reported on it.

the court staff are unhappy about that - they're separate from the judiciary, and are doing a justifiable 'don't pin this on us'; though i can understand the pride organisers getting cold feet over it.

the court staff are unhappy about that - they're separate from the judiciary, and are doing a justifiable 'don't pin this on us'; though i can understand the pride organisers getting cold feet over it.

Yep I cant say I blame them being peeved when Dept of Justice which has Judicial oversight are still invited.

has there been an upswing in violence in the last few years? the press is awash with stories of ireland being awash with coke; and you'd wonder if that's playing a part in cases like this.
I was just thinking that earlier. One of the papers today says there's 200% increase in women taking coke in the last couple of years

I've a mate I do outdoors stuff with* who has done a lot of wild camping and all that kinda thing. We were talking one night about meeting beasts on the trail - and what they pointed out was if you go head to head with a wild animal, you'll get a cut or a gash or whatever but if you injure the animal out the in wild, it's probably going to limp about and die because you will go to nowdoc and it will become food for something else. It's about the risk. Where the fuck are going with this ann. Well it made me think about the male/female difference - like even size is equal it's kinda not a fair fight. So I looked up the weightlifting classes for the commonwealth games and in the 55kg human categories, the men are lifting 25% heavier weights than the women in a sport where all the training is going to be pretty much identical. HOWEVER men are generally a % bigger than women, so adding a little offset the differences start to really show.

A 71kg woman is winning gold by lifting 229kg
An 83kg man is winning gold by lifting 325kg.

TLDR women are walking around sorrounded by creatures that have 50% more strength than them every day. Like this fucker for example, holding twice my body weight above their head. I agree with @Reets - the dynamics are oversimplified if it's just tit for tat justice, we need to move int he direction that recognises risk.

1719355940838.png

*we drink cans outdoors

I've a mate I do outdoors stuff with* who has done a lot of wild camping and all that kinda thing. We were talking one night about meeting beasts on the trail - and what they pointed out was if you go head to head with a wild animal, you'll get a cut or a gash or whatever but if you injure the animal out the in wild, it's probably going to limp about and die because you will go to nowdoc and it will become food for something else. It's about the risk. Where the fuck are going with this ann. Well it made me think about the male/female difference - like even size is equal it's kinda not a fair fight. So I looked up the weightlifting classes for the commonwealth games and in the 55kg human categories, the men are lifting 25% heavier weights than the women in a sport where all the training is going to be pretty much identical. HOWEVER men are generally a % bigger than women, so adding a little offset the differences start to really show.

A 71kg woman is winning gold by lifting 229kg
An 83kg man is winning gold by lifting 325kg.

TLDR women are walking around sorrounded by creatures that have 50% more strength than them every day. Like this fucker for example, holding twice my body weight above their head. I agree with @Reets - the dynamics are oversimplified if it's just tit for tat justice, we need to move int he direction that recognises risk.

View attachment 18889

*we drink cans outdoors

No woman has ever broken the 4-minute mile

Thousands of men have done it. Like US high school boys can do it somewhat regularly.
It's not even close.

Part of the reason women's protecting women's sport from men is so important.

Users who are viewing this thread

• G
  • JohnnyRaz
  • pete
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back