Ireland (5 Viewers)

And for those playing along at home, the protest is ongoing but dwindling. I need to drop some stuff off to be recycled, would love for them to fuck off.

We do work in the refugee centre, not due back until November as far as I can see. Hopefully there's no one there protesting when we're due in. I wouldn't send anyone in there if there was. Not in a "don't cross a picket" sense but I don't want to expose any of my guys to trouble from that lot.

A block of apartments built in 2000's in Borrisokane (p. 1,000) was never occupied until 2019 when it was designated for African migrants.
At a local community meeting about this Justin Barrett who grew up in Borrisokane attended and tried to speak (people walked out and shouted him down).
A week earlier a closed hotel in upper Shannon region nearly ready for migrants was one of the first attacked by arsonists.
After this people in Borrisokane had seen what anti immigration really stood for and decided to welcome the migrants.
For nearly 5 years this was very successful and the families even got positive stereotypes: "the kids are excellent students / very well behaved!".
Now the families are facing an eviction order. The 96 people living there have put down roots and have nowhere to go.
Some of their kids have gone into secondary school now.
They're part of the community and everyone wants them to stay.

Last edited:
I was down at the canal last night and saw the tents and the fencing for the first time up close. Jesus Christ, what are we doing? It’s bad enough that we have no structures (both physical and logistical) to deal with this but what’s the purpose of fencing it all off? It looks like the start of a concentration camp but with herons.

These “major operations” to remove tents make no sense to me as it doesn’t seem to address the actual problem of providing reasonable shelter to people. I know all of this is obvious but it’s so obvious it’s hurting my brain and I feel like there’s some galaxy brain conversation happening without me that somehow makes sense of the situation.

i'm regularly out beside thornton hall, where these lads are being moved to eventually. are they going to be imprisoned on the site? what's to stop them leaving? you're less than a mile walk from there to hopping on a bus back into dublin.

The people of Dublin don't want a tent city on their canal, so the tents are being put on govt land instead. There'll be nothing to stop them leaving afaik. I understood the fencing n the canal was to stop people pitching tents there, but obvs it hasn't worked

These “major operations” to remove tents make no sense to me as it doesn’t seem to address the actual problem of providing reasonable shelter to people.
Put yourself in the shoes of the civil servants trying to deal with the increased numbers. There's a housing crisis, every builder/tradesperson in the country is flat out, and anti-immigrant sentiment is on the rise. I've a friend whose aunt and uncle owned a small hotel over the west - when it was going to be turned into accommodation for refugees some lunatic burned it down

Tents strung out along the canal in the city is just asking for trouble, when every anti-immigrant head-the-ball can stroll down and pick a row. It makes a lot of sense to me to move them to someplace that's less visible and easier to protect just to keep things calm while they try and find (or build) reasonable shelter

i passed the demonstration at thornton hall earlier; though before i got there, i filled up at the local petrol station and there were 6 or 8 public order gardai in getting coffee.
there's a big (well, 6 or 8 foot) pile of pallets at the bend the demonstrators have gathered at. i wonder what they need them for.

i passed the demonstration at thornton hall earlier; though before i got there, i filled up at the local petrol station and there were 6 or 8 public order gardai in getting coffee.
there's a big (well, 6 or 8 foot) pile of pallets at the bend the demonstrators have gathered at. i wonder what they need them for.
Passed by there on Sunday, didn’t see any cops. Pallets are for feeding their oil drum fire… I hope.

i pass there several times a week (my wife's horse lives nearby). today was the most i've seen (probably 12 or 15 people with five or six cars stupidly parked on that bad bend), but i didn't pass on saturday which is when i think the 'main' demonstration was planned.

The protest is still happening at Ballyogan and I still need to use the recycling centre so it’s not just racist but annoying.

I saw on the news that one of them was arrested for having a Stanley knife. So much for protecting our children against strange, violent men.

Saw a few mentions yesterday that Ballyogan was open again, but is the protest still there? Drove past it the other day, fairly intimidating all the same.
Still there today. I thought I saw a car going into the recycling centre but wasn’t sure if that was someone who worked there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back