Ireland vs Willy Brandt and Lech Wałęsa (1 Viewer)

Hoolahan is top notch right now, I'd say he's actually one of the best players in the world in his position at the moment, but there's really very few other players doing what he does well.
At the moment we have 3 good players on really great form, in Brady, Hoolahan, and Walters. Even Glenn Whelan is playing some good shit right now. I reckon if our defence can hold it together, we've every chance of nicking a goal against Heinrich Himmler and coming away with 3 points. You never know!

Yes, no fear against this rabble!

Tor: Manuel Neuer (Bayern München), Bernd Leno (Bayer Leverkusen), Marc-André ter Stegen (FC Barcelona)

Abwehr: Jérôme Boateng (Bayern München), Emre Can (FC Liverpool), Matthias Ginter (Borussia Dortmund), Jonas Hector (1. FC Köln),Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Shkodran Mustafi (FC Valencia), Sebastian Rudy (1899 Hoffenheim)

Mittelfeld/Angriff: Karim Bellarabi (Bayer Leverkusen), Mario Götze (Bayern München), Ilkay Gündogan (Borussia Dortmund), Christoph Kramer (Bayer Leverkusen), Toni Kroos (Real Madrid), Max Kruse (VfL Wolfsburg), Thomas Müller (Bayern München), Mesut Özil (FC Arsenal), Lukas Podolski (Galatasaray Istanbul), Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund), André Schürrle (VfL Wolfsburg), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Manchester United), Kevin Volland (1899 Hoffenheim).

Wes Hoolahan is currently joint top of the assist charts for the big 5 leagues in Europe.
Right now I'd pick him over Grealish any day.
Believe me, I'm Hoolahan's biggest fan and he's flying it alright but I wouldn't get carried away with those stats. It's five assists. Do you think he'll be there at the end of the season? Point being that Grealish is at the very least a nice back up to have, and is 20. Wes is 33.

I'd say he's actually one of the best players in the world in his position at the moment,

As I was saying! You're good value anyway Cormac. Messi must be worried.

Do you think he'll be there at the end of the season? Point being that Grealish is at the very least a nice back up to have,

You said Grealish would walk into the Irish team. The Ballybough/Summerhill contingent on here rightly got offended on behalf of Portland Row's most famous son. Now Grealish would be nice to have as a back up. I don't think anyone would dispute that.

You said Grealish would walk into the Irish team. The Ballybough/Summerhill contingent on here rightly got offended on behalf of Portland Row's most famous son. Now Grealish would be nice to have as a back up. I don't think anyone would dispute that.

I do think he'd walk in to the team. I was acknowledging that Hoolahan is playing his best football in an age, but still personally think Grealish would have been first choice (and that's even assuming you couldn't play both, which of course you could).
It's called conceding a point my friend. I know that's an alien concept on Thumped.

Conceding that that is your opinion. Mine differs.

What the fuck point is anyone conceding, you madman???

If anything the points are that 1. There's no WAY MON would play Grealish AND Hoolahan. If you think he would, you're insane; and 2. my point/fact that Hoolahan is currently in top form and would keep him out of the side.

I was conceding that MAYBE Hoolahan would keep him out for a few games tops. Thereafter the future would be Grealish's.

Anyway, this is boring. He's not an Irish player so who cares.

Mason is one to watch, should be making the next friendly squad if he keeps up his current scoring form..

Reduced 23-man Ireland squad: Forde, Given, Randolph, Keogh, Coleman, Christie, O'Shea, Pearce, McShane, Ward, Brady, Wilson, McCarthy, Hendrick, Whelan, McGeady, McClean, Judge, Meyler, Hoolahan, O'Kane, Keane, Long, Murphy, Walters, Doyle, McGoldrick

Coleman's not even on the Everton bench - should we be worried about that? Neither is McGeady but I think that's on form rather than injuries.. Gibson is back for them at last but left out for Ireland which seems weird. The goalie situation continues to be a problem, none of Given, Forde or Randolph are starters at their clubs. Westwood who is the only one who starts regularly was cut from the reduced squad, would be interested to know the thinking behind that.

I thought he was still injured? No Clark is a bummer.
He's been starting for Sheffield Wednesday recently, I dunno what the situation with him and Ireland is.. Randolph should arguably be next in line but I'd assume Given will get the nod.

Coleman is out for Germany.. Is this too big a game to throw Miley Cyrus Christie in? Wilson is another injury worry and Ward has barely had any game time with Burnley this season. Meyler did well enough filling in there in the away game. O'Neill has some serious resource management issues to deal with given the Poland game is only 3 days later.

Here's my prediction: we give it a reasonable go but lose narrowly to Germany (1-2, say), Scotland throw everything at Poland but only come out with a point, then we draw 0-0 in Warsaw in a pedestrian game with a whiff of a pre-arranged agreement about it to put us into the playoffs and Poland through, Scots are incensed..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back