Ireland vs Willy Brandt and Lech Wałęsa (1 Viewer)

Jerry Twig

Supporter
Solutions
'Willy Brandt and Lech Wałęsa' says Corm in disgust, 'where's Goebbels and Pope John Paul II?'

Well I think we need to extend the olive branch this time, and in the tradition of their Nobel Peace Prize winning compatriots, hope that they approach these games in a spirit of friendliness and compassion and do us a fucking favour.

Firstly, give us a draw Deutschland. Secondly, draw with the Scots Poland.

C'mon to fuck.

'Willy Brandt and Lech Wałęsa' says Corm in disgust, 'where's Goebbels and Pope John Paul II?'

Well I think we need to extend the olive branch this time, and in the tradition of their Nobel Peace Prize winning compatriots, hope that they approach these games in a spirit of friendliness and compassion and do us a fucking favour.
I was going to say when I saw the title, bit harsh on poor auld Lech.

So Grealish has gone with England.. took his sweet time and that FAI young player of the year award seems a bit embarrassing now but surely we can't be too peeved, given the number of times we've benefited from English / Scottish / Northern lads jumping on the green bandwagon over the years. Watch him infuriatingly bloom into a mega-talent and go on a Stephen Ireland circa '08-09 run now.

So Grealish has gone with England.. .

If Hoolahan is a slightly untrusted luxury player to the current and previous management (despite doing what I see as a serious amount of defending/tracking back), the idea that Grealish would waltz into the Irish team and win 50 caps in no time is laughable, imo. His own manager publicly berated his lack of defensive work a few days ago.

Maybe he'll blossom and I'll be sad about it. Maybe Jack Byrne, recent winner of a MoTM award for Cambuur against PSV will be as good as he's threatening to be and we won't really remember to care about Grealish.

Grealish ain't nothin special. I doubt he'll turn into a great player, unless a manager comes along that can adjust his attitude a bit eg. defensive work and general work rate, etc.
Worst thing for him is that he'll probably get a couple of caps for England, and then spend his whole international career playing second string to someone like Lamella. That's what you get for declaring for England, though.

Well yeah, obviously it's all just glimpses of potential so far and he's barely shown enough yet to be on the fringes of our squad let alone England.. If he does get a callup he'll have to deal with constant Twitter abuse from the mouth-breathers on our side now as well as the grim millstone of 'England expects', so good luck to him.

8 for Lewandowski in 2 games, I'm glad the Scots have them up first. Jonny Walters has 2 consecutive league goals against Bournemouth and Leicester, watch out Neuer and co.

Germany were very wasteful with their finishing in that game. They'll obviously be going all out to make up for that blip and I just don't think our defence in any combination of players available to us right now is solid enough to hold out against them for 90 minutes. On top of that we don't have the ammunition to hit them fast on the break like we'd need to do (besides Long charging through and chipping one into the keeper's arms maybe). I reckon a respectable but deflating 2-0 defeat is on the cards. .

Fuck negativity.

I've never thought Ireland didn't have a chance of winning a game. Ever.

Fuck negativity.

I'm a born pessimist I suppose.. We can draw with anybody on our day, as for actually winning a game against anybody higher than a 4th seed though, the last couple of decades says don't expect much.

Fuck negativity.

Even against Spain in the Euros? Well you sir are a bigger romantic even than I.

I have no problem at all with Grealish deciding to play for England and would wish him the best of luck. I also think that, despite his apparent defensive frailties, he would currently walk into the Irish team and would be a very valuable addition. We have enough defensive midfielders to cover a creative player, who is already better than what we currently have. However, he is English and wants to play for England, so he should. He played underage for us because he could and thanks for doing so. Whether he becomes great or not remains to be seen, but its a bit perverse to see people wishing him mediocrity.
The only thing I take issue with is he dawdled so long on it. But fuck it, if we get worked up about that it's our problem, not his.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back