Ireland vs Willy Brandt and Lech Wałęsa (1 Viewer)

We were cack the other night, proper crash back down to earth.. In fairness Poland came at us like a train and didn't let up until the 60 or 70 minute mark. O'Neill deserves the benefit of the doubt after last Thursday's result but the other night was awfully similar to the Scotland away game, bossed in midfield for most of the game and way too reliant on floating crosses into the box (more fodder for their huge centre backs) when we did get forward.. I don't buy into Hoolahan-mania as a cure-all for the team's problems but the Whelan / McCarthy combo just doesn't bring out the best in either player. Hopefully Clark makes it back in time for next month, or we could be looking at a Keogh / McShane centre back pairing..

Playoff lineup (assuming Hungary take best 3rd place): Denmark, Sweden, Slovenia, Ukraine, Turkey/Holland, Croatia/Norway, Bosnia/Israel/Cyprus. I'd prefer one of the Nordic countries, they've both had tepid enough campaigns, and we owe Sweden one. Don't want Croatia or Ukraine. Croatia have a pretty good chance at overtaking Norway actually, looking at their last fixtures.

Last edited:
Turkey pip Hungary to best 3rd place team thanks to 90th minute goal against Iceland and Kazakhstan beating Latvia.. It looks now like we're unseeded for the playoff draw and the 4 possible opponents are Sweden, Hungary, Bosnia and Ukraine..

I was reminiscing about going to see (West) Germany for my first Ireland match and we bet them.

The first match I remember watching on TV was against Hungary on June 4th 1989. (I obviously was completely mad for it there and then as the next match was the West German game)

So, going on that logic, Hungary, obviously, please.

Having had a quick look at the qualifying results of those 4 teams, we shouldn't be unduly afraid of any of them.. None of Sweden, Hungary or Ukraine managed a victory against a side higher than Pot 4 in their groups. Bosnia did beat a nearly qualified Wales at home. Ukraine would probably be the toughest place for our fans/team to travel and they've a strong defensive record (only conceded 4 goals in the group, including two tight games against Spain) so they're the team I want to avoid. Hungary would be the obvious pick going purely on squad and form, their only wins were single goal margins over Finland and Faroe Islands and the North took 4 points off them.. I'd kind of prefer Sweden just to try and get revenge for 2013 though (and because Hungary is the sort of underdog team I'd normally like to see qualify).

I'll take Hungary, cause they're fucking shite.
If we get Ukraine, you're guaranteed two bore-fests probably decided by a single goal or penalties.
If we get Sweden, we'll probably lose by one goal to a Zlatan wonder strike because he'll be the only fucking good player on the pitch assuming Hoolahan isn't playing (just like the Poland match, incidentally).
Bosnia, everyone will probably underestimate and we'll get bate for not taking them seriously enough. They're a decent side and have Dzeko up front, so they're probably more likely to score a goal than we are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back