Ireland vs Argentina (2 Viewers)

Jerry Twig

Supporter
Solutions
Just read that Given may be relegated to second keeper at Man City. That would be terrible for Ireland, and just plain wrong.

Squad looks unsurprising. Would not be sold on Green over McCarthy, while McShane still lingers like a bad smell

I think Given being relegated to second choice is because Mancini doesn't want to throw him in at the deep end too early after that injury, at least i hope so. McShane is as you say not up to international standard and should never be considered. How many times has he been caught for pace, out of position and how many more mistakes does he have to make before Trap finally takes the blinkers off.? Kilbane days are surely numbered, great and loyal a servant he has been to the cause. I agree McCarthy should be in but he shouldn't have missed training early last June. if Stephen Ireland goes to Villa will O Neill encourage him to end his international exile? Haven't said that I am not sure I want to see him back - treacherous bollix.

The lack of James McCarthy is a disappointment but he seems to be on duty with the U21s in a competitive game so I don't think Trap is snubbing him or anything. Looks like we'll be heading into the Euro qualifiers with Whelan\Andrews in the middle again. He was making noises about Kilbane finally ending his run as a starter so it'll be interesting to see what the reshuffle is there (maybe O'Shea to left back, Kelly at right, with Dunne & St Ledger in the middle?)

About Given, it'll be a straightforward battle between him and Hart this season.. Given has the edge as the incumbent but he has to stay on his toes, seemed to be a lot of complaining from City fans last year that he didn't command his box or come out for crosses enough.

Argentina have a strong squad anyway, pity Maradona won't be making an appearance:
Goalkeepers: Sergio Romero (AZ Alkmaar), Mariano Andujar (Catania).
Defenders: Martin Demichelis (Bayern Munich), Walter Samuel (Inter Milan), Nicolas Burdisso (Inter Milan), Gabriel Heinze (Olympique Marseille), Fabricio Coloccini (Newcastle), Pablo Zabaleta (Manchester City), Emiliano Insua (Fiorentina).
Midfielders: Maximiliano Rodriguez (Liverpool), Javier Mascherano (Liverpool), Angel Di Maria (Real Madrid), Jonas Gutierrez (Newcastle), Mario Bolatti (Fiorentina), Javier Pastore (Palermo), Fernando Gago (Real Madrid), Jesus Datolo (Espanyol), Ever Banega (Valencia).
Forwards: Gonzalo Higuain (Real Madrid), Carlos Tevez (Manchester City), Sergio Aguero (Atletico Madrid), Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Diego Milito (Inter Milan), Ezequiel Lavezzi (Napoli).

Seamus Coleman has been in good form for us in our preseason friendlies would have liked to see him in the squad.

O Shea and Dunne should be in the center of the defence, partnerships like that take time to develop I know we're weak in certain areas but I don't see the sense in further weakening a side by breaking up the stronger parts of it to fill in gaps. This is how Brian Kerr managed time and again to throw away promising scorelines with ludicrous substitutions.

Can't wait for this though. Looking forward to seeing the inside of Landsdowne and getting lovely southside pints on the way down.

McShane to walk all over Messi, dispossessing him through the entire match and scoring a hat-trick in the process

Only to undo all that magic by being caught for pace all throughout the game by Higuain who score a double hatrick after McShane accidently floors Shay Given. Leaving Shay with a Fucked up shoulder again. Ireland lose 7 -3.

O Shea and Dunne should be in the center of the defence, partnerships like that take time to develop I know we're weak in certain areas but I don't see the sense in further weakening a side by breaking up the stronger parts of it to fill in gaps. This is how Brian Kerr managed time and again to throw away promising scorelines with ludicrous substitutions.

Agreed that O'Shea and Dunne in the centre would be ideal, the problem being that there's no obvious left back to take over from Kilbane, Cunningham is still a kid and has barely played for Man City, Stephen Ward has only had half a season at Premier League level and hasn't really proven himself yet in that position yet, and beyond that you're looking at somebody like Eddie Nolan or Darren O'Dea.. Coleman is an exciting prospect alright and I'd expect him to be challenging for the right back spot at some stage over the next campaign.

I hope Stokes gets the nod tonight if Doyle is still buckled, after his flier last night it could push him along nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back