Ireland v Russia (3 Viewers)

In case I didn't make it obvious, of course I'm going to the Norway game.* No point in pretending there won't be acres of empty seats there though, not least ones that people have actually paid for. At least the FAI didn't quite stoop to IRFU levels of price cuntiness, but then I'm sure they would have if they thought the market was there.

*If the Trap bothers to play Coleman, McCarthy, Ward etc it may be interesting at least.

Seamus Coleman won our man of the match award for his performance as a right winger against Fulham.
Just saying .

Other good news welcome.

P.S Washingcattle is now dedicated to bigging up Irish players rather than hating.

P.P.S Aiden McGeady the Hunts and Paul McShane are still useless cunts.

2 goals for Cillian Sheridan for Sofia the other night, complete with pounding techno music:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

About Coleman, he looks a really exciting player going forward but anytime I've read match reports it seems like his defensive play isn't quite up to his attacking play yet.. I'd see his short term future for Ireland being more as a winger than a fullback, especially given that Trap doesn't like his fullbacks to cross the halfway line. For the backline I'd have Kelly / Dunne / St Ledger / O'Shea from the options available at the moment. Obviously O'Shea on the left isn't ideal but until somebody like Ward or Cunningham makes the breakthrough we have very few options there.

Don't forget Stokes as well, who's got 4 in 3 games for Celtic in the last twoo weeks I believe.
yeah, McShane seems out the runnin now, thank fuck.

Inevitable Duffer injury scare time:
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2010/1002/1224280242095.html

Looking at the form of our probable first eleven, it's hard to be confident about the Russia and Slovakia games: Given, Keane, Whelan & Kilbane all spending most or all their time on the bench, Dunne just back from injury and looking shaky, O'Shea, St Ledger & Doyle having a fairly indifferent start to the season.. McGeady, Duff (if he plays) & Lawrence arguably our only 'form' players at the moment. With Andrews not getting any game time this week the decision not to call up James McCarthy seems unjustifiable. I know our players tend to perform above their club level for Ireland but I reckon we'll be doing very well to get 2 points out of these games. Good to see Coleman make the squad anyway.

Coleman is becoming a bit of a regular now for us but no way should he make his debut in this one that would be absolute madness. I'd give him twenty minutes down the right flank if we need some pace out there though. It's not all bad, but i do think that we need players who start for their clubs. Especially defenders. Kibane will get the run around by the Russians. and will need a super fit Duff to help him out.

Doyle isn't scoring but his general play has been excellent for Wolves he really needs to be at a bigger club who create chances. Wish Moyes would grab him in January but by then the Yak will probably be banging them in and we won't need him (sure , keep dreaming). It's a pity Carr retired he was excellent for Birmingham yesterday.

I'm still going for us to win 1-0 but It'll be very close probably Dunne from set piece. Then an epic bus parking excercise with four center halves on the field by the end. So long as McShane isn't one of them we'll hang on.

the ruskis will be too brain-drunk on our celtic tigerisms and western foodstuffs that you don't have to queue all day for, and our lack of quality ballet and minskirts to get their heads around playing football. viva la revolution.

i gave in and am going to this tomorrow, as well as the norway friendly next month apparently.

hoping to see someone gouge two big divots in the turf in knee-slide celebration a la mickey walsh 1984. (to beat russia 1-0 in the opening qualifier of the 86 world cup) who remembers that? my defining early ireland memory. that was way too much hope to give to a young fella. Appropriately the next game was against Norway, long before they were any good, which we lost (even as a 10 year old i was disgraced), and finished the campaign getting battered 4-1 by denmark in the aviva.

this is random, but that game (ireland 1-denmark 4) featured as the example game in a documentary I saw a looong time ago, which I vaguely remember was about the science of football, how much pressure on their skulls when they head the ball type stuff.

i gave in and am going to this tomorrow, as well as the norway friendly next month apparently.

hoping to see someone gouge two big divots in the turf in knee-slide celebration a la mickey walsh 1984. (to beat russia 1-0 in the opening qualifier of the 86 world cup) who remembers that? my defining early ireland memory. that was way too much hope to give to a young fella. Appropriately the next game was against Norway, long before they were any good, which we lost (even as a 10 year old i was disgraced), and finished the campaign getting battered 4-1 by denmark in the aviva.

this is random, but that game (ireland 1-denmark 4) featured as the example game in a documentary I saw a looong time ago, which I vaguely remember was about the science of football, how much pressure on their skulls when they head the ball type stuff.

I was at the 0-0 Norway game in Landsdowne (attendance 12,000), as well as the Denmark hammering, which if I remember we scored first, and then let in 4.
Good times!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back