Ireland v Greece (2 Viewers)

I agree. Just saying he was muck on Wednesday - that is hard to dispute. But Trappatoni was right not to play Coleman last year - when he wasn't injured he was not getting his game at Everton, and this for a rookie, when we had options that were at least playing on a regular basis and had international experience.
when has this kind of logic ever bothered Trap's selection policy?

Well I think we should could give credit on the rare occasions that it's due - there's too much imbalance in the discussion around Trappatoni these days

i think trap's hand was forced by the media and fan furore over how fucking awful we've been. He had no choice. I'd say it was said to him by his little eunuch Delaney. Watch your players, pick some new blood. It's failing, there's noone going to watch us play. ANd Trap, for all that he's 126, doesn't want to end his career having alienated The Greatest Fans In The World TM. He's had no choice but to widen his net, and i'd say some of the players who've had issues with him are holding their tongue cos he won't be there longer than they will.

If we'd got a scrappy draw with croatia, a gritty 1-0 loss to spain and managed to bang at least one in against the Italians, Trap would have come home said, we did as well as we could have against some of the best teams in the game, the two eventual finalists, who beat Germany and England, yadda yadda, and fuck you, i know what i'm doing. But that didn't happen, so he has no choice but to change it up.

At this stage i think he's just too old to be bothered about us. He hardly speaks english, he doens't live where his players play (LA obviously) and up to now he's been impervious to the media and the form of the players. Not to mention his tactics are back in the mid eighties. There's just this huge sense of enervation around teh whole thing. It'll be half empty stadiums and ho hum right until the world cup starts and we can sit back and enjoy some football without us stinking the place up, cos, let's face, we sure as fuck aren't going to be there and we sure as fuck don't deserve to be there. The FAI are consummate idiots, appointing a manger they can't even afford to fucking pay.

However, THE REAL ISSUE after the Grecian's game, was where's Manuela?

However, THE REAL ISSUE after the Grecian's game, was where's Manuela?

She's a freelancer and I think she had another gig on. She'll be back next year apparently.

I hear lots of journos complaining about Trap's English and how hard it is for him to be understood at press conferences. Whenever we play off the ball has plenty of clips of him being confusing and hacks are constantly complaining on twitter about it, and I realise that this situation makes their jobs harder, but is this mostly an inside the beltway story. On the proviso that he's able to get instruction across to the players do people really give a fuck about what he says in the pressers, which, even if if he spoke like the queen are often just pieces of media theatre for the most part.

If we'd got a scrappy draw with croatia, a gritty 1-0 loss to spain and managed to bang at least one in against the Italians, Trap would have come home said, we did as well as we could have against some of the best teams in the game, the two eventual finalists, who beat Germany and England, yadda yadda, and fuck you, i know what i'm doing. But that didn't happen, so he has no choice but to change it up.

If,if,if. Fuck sake Hector. Let's talk about what actually happened.
Think back to the squad he picked for the Euros. Who was arguing with the squad he picked? The only real debates were about whether Wilson, Coleman and Clarke (and Hoolahan for the booboys who mostly had never seen him play) should have been in the squad, and only the first one was a clear cut case in my book. Coleman was hard done by not to be travelling as a squad member, but not realistically as a player. We all have fierce selective memories when it suits us.

If,if,if. Fuck sake Hector. Let's talk about what actually happened.
Think back to the squad he picked for the Euros. Who was arguing with the squad he picked? The only real debates were about whether Wilson, Coleman and Clarke (and Hoolahan for the booboys who mostly had never seen him play) should have been in the squad, and only the first one was a clear cut case in my book. Coleman was hard done by not to be travelling as a squad member, but not realistically as a player. We all have fierce selective memories when it suits us.

well,, my point was IF we'd not been pants, his hand would be stronger, and the only reason he's trying new players now is because they fucked it up so spectacularly in 2012. Trap made real mistakes with the squad, you know, outside the first xi. Green? Ugh. McShame? Dropping foley after picking him? It was a mess, and whatever happened, there was something really wrong with the lads out there, and since. There's no guts or pride. Like i say, they were playing like they knew it was coming to an end and what was the point. He also should have had the balls to to tell Shay he wasn't fit. Picking Coleman or Hoolahan for the squad wouldn't have made a jot of difference because he wouldn't in a million years ever put them on the pitch. It's fucking obvious, when he started with Cocks ahead of McCLean. I think in general, we could have hoped for more from the team. However, we did have Sean St Ledger on the pitch, so maybe not.

Anyway, if i have a selective memory it's because i choose not to remember the disaster that was euro 2012, which was a decent tournament, ruined by our lot. I mean, for us. Obviously the Spanish were thrilled we turned up.

That's a good point about Green and McShane getting called up - I seemed to have erased that horror from my memory too! Mea culpa

I agree. Just saying he was muck on Wednesday - that is hard to dispute. But Trappatoni was right not to play Coleman last year - when he wasn't injured he was not getting his game at Everton, and this for a rookie, when we had options that were at least playing on a regular basis and had international experience.

I don't totally agree here. At the time Coleman was playing as a right winger for Everton but he had played at right back too. The experienced players we had in those positions weren't up to much as far as I was concerned and he was worth a place in the squad because he offered something different in both positions. He didn't get a game because he didn't suit Traps system i.e he likes to cross the halfway line. Either way he's in there now, he's got all the right attributes, he passes it well. For me he could do with a few lessons in turning his head and seeing behind him because he does get caught on the overlap quite a bit, but his pace makes up for that to some extent.

McClean wise it's up to him really he seems a worker I wish Sunderland were playing better ball though, they were dangerous on the counter against us on saturday but they couldn't hold onto the ball for more than a few passes.

EDIT Ah I see the page updated while I was having lunch. Carry on.

Also Paul Green and Paul McShane. Jesus. I wish I could erase them from my memory.

The experienced players we had in those positions weren't up to much as far as I was concerned .

We all know your opinion on that, so spare us! But the irony is, give that Trap treats left and right wingers interchangeably, that McClean pushed Coleman out of the squad. So tell us, who would you have dropped to accommodate Coleman (don't say the centre-mid Green - which winger)?

and hunt who didnt play at the euros seems to have dissappeared off the radar completely.

with mccarthy, andrews, gibson, andrew, fahey and hoolahan possibly being mid options now i hope green is never picked again.

same with mcshane, coleman and kelly can play rb and foley too if he ever decides to return.

from seing the 2nd haof of the greek game i couldnt see what doyle brought to the table at all or why hoolahan only got 45 mins when trapp knows what whelan is able (or not) to do.

same with mcshane, coleman and kelly can play rb and foley too if he ever decides to return.

from seing the 2nd haof of the greek game i couldnt see what doyle brought to the table at all or why hoolahan only got 45 mins when trapp knows what whelan is able (or not) to do.

Bring back Foley and drop Doyle. Sure.

And have you seen Foley play to a level that would justify calling him up? Coleman has nailed down RB, with Kelly as no.2, so your point is redundant in any case.

Having serious reservations about Coleman as right back. Hibbo looked assured on saturday, if he stays fit Coleman may not return in that position for us.

Coleman Hoolihan McCarthy Gibson McClean are worth a try in midfield though. If we have another friendly soon I'd give Enda Stephens a run at left back He was Rovers best player for years and he did a great job against United. haven't seen him since though to be honest. Stephen Reid at right back and the way things are going Myself and whoever wants to join me can try our hands at centre half.

Shane Long has to start up front, he's been brilliant this season.

Won't happen.

Unless Coleman kicks Trappatoni in the bollocks he's going to be right back for Ireland for some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back