Ireland euro squad predictions (3 Viewers)

With that amount of space and time anyone could do that. It would have been nearly impossible for him to hit the first man given the fact that the first man was 5 yards behind him but yes it was a good cross. Well done.

I'm just going to pop this in here...

Ian-Harte-008.jpg

His whole 'some of those guys aren't even Irish' rant did him no favours at all, which is good to see.
Silly, slow man.

Team for the Bosnia game tomorrow announced:
Westwood, McShane, Dunne, St Ledger, Ward, Duff, Gibson, Whelan, McClean, Doyle, Keane.

PMac's back.. hope they let him captain the team again. Although it won't be funny when somebody gets crocked and he inevitably ends up on the plane to Poland. Happy to see McClean and Gibson starting. Could be a big one for Doyle, he needs to make a decent claim for a starting spot with the shitty season he's had. I expect an enthusiasm dampening low scoring draw, bring it on!

McShane at playing right back is very interesting and odd in that Kelly was preparing to play centre back in place of Dunne apparently, and he knows that Kelly is first choice right back cover. But then what does it say for O'Dea - Sledge cover only?
Richie, McShane will be on the plane anyway - you can bring in standbys to the squad right up to the kick off of the first game and we've so many 50-50s at the back that I guarantee he will travel at least.
I'd say McGeady is sweating with McClean starting. Look forward to seeing how he plays. Good move for this game. Good also that Westwood gets to stretch a leg against a decent side. It'll be interesting to see what formations he tries at the front. I reckon Doyle will have to play his socks off tomorrow.

I too expect some initial flurries of excitement, dissipating evermore into drudgery after 25 minutes. Cox to score another redeemer.

Good second half and moderately encouraging overall.. Bosnia clearly went on their summer holidays early so I'd be wary of reading too much into it but we had the best chances and deserved to win by a couple of goals. Strong performances from the wingers, McGeady showed why himself and Duff should be starting (and that he's much more effective on the right side). McClean with one very good half and then faded, will do well in an impact sub role at the tournament.

If Gibson has a chance of starting I think I like the Gibson - Andrews partnership more than Gibson - Whelan. Had some sloppy passes but was always trying to create something and made some nice through balls. Walters wins a lot of challenges and got into good positions but had a few clangers in front of goal, can't afford for him to be missing too many from six yards out. Our weak areas were not really tested as much as I expected, centre midfield and the fullbacks are going to be under a hell of a lot more pressure than that at against Croatia, Spain & Italy, so it's hard to gauge where we're at overall, good to keep the momentum going anyway.

Absolutely superb cross from McGeady, to top off a very solid performance, as no doubt Mr Cattle will have the temerity and good grace to recognise once again, or will he continue to tell us that he's really not that good??!!

McGeady was superb today Cattle will gladly eat his words forever if this is the level he plays at regularly. Used the ball excellently, got his head up roamed off the wing and ran at defenders in the right way, was direct without being ridiculous. Best he has ever played. The opposition was utterly shite gave him far too much space and never looked to put the boot in, but yes he did look the complete package. Gibson was wasteful at times (very few times too be fair and drops so deep that he has to look for movement tht simply isn't there) and still looks utterly ponderous but he did "dictate the pace of the game" at times unfortunately his pace, and our pace in general is very very slow. Green shoots though, he did what was required of him and any time we looked like we could actually keep the ball for a few minutes he was a huge part of that. McClean had a bit of a mare second half but playing the full 90 will do him the world of good. Walters looked the real deal very strong, Keane looked sharp, Doyle held it up well without really looking like he could penetrate, Long is basically our Tim Cahill, deceptively good in the air and nippy as fuck.

Still have no box to box midfielder, still look unsure when in possesion but the signs are there. The Euros may have come too early for this side but it's starting to look like a classic Italy rather than a shite Ireland. Defensively we're set. We do retreat to the classic two banks of four more than an Irish supporter is used to. We don't press as much as I'd like but we never looked like conceding, Dzecko was annonymous but that's no surprise.

I will gladly eat humble pie forever if McGeady sticks it too me again and again. He was excellent today.

I better call him shite so that it gets his goat and he plays like this again.

Aiden you're shite.

Total sickener for Fahey. Big loss for the team too, he's always done well for Ireland. I'm stumped as to what Trap sees in Green and if he ends up playing and costing us then there'll be no end of complaints about the like of Hoolahan, Wilson & Clark being overlooked. We even have other Championship midfielders like Jeff Hendrick (who was playing centre midfield for Derby while Green got moved out to right back) and Chris McCann at Burnley who are more highly regarded players. I hope he proves everybody wrong & has a legendary cameo scoring the winner against Spain but not going to hold my breath.

Spain squad:
Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Pepe Reina, (Liverpool), Victor Valdes (Barcelona)
Defenders: Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Juanfran (Atletico Madrid), Jordi Alba (Valencia), Raul Albiol (Real Madrid), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Javi Martinez (Athletic Bilbao)
Midfielders: Xavi (Barcelona), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), David Silva (Manchester City), Santi Cazorla (Malaga), Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Juan Mata (Chelsea)
Forwards: Jesus Navas (Sevilla), Pedro (Barcelona), Fernando Llorente (Athletic Bilbao), Fernando Torres (Chelsea), Alvaro Negredo (Sevilla)

No huge surprises. Still think they're weak at the centre back position and will struggle from set pieces, If we can get out of our own box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back