Ireland euro squad predictions (1 Viewer)

Jerry Twig

Supporter
Solutions
Richie started this and a few of the usual suspects replied, but I think it deserves its own thread

Yeah good to see Dunne back, had a solid game. O'Shea back for Sunderland too. 2 strikers that they'll probably be facing in Torres and Jelavic having ominously good weekends though. What do people make of Trap's "90-99% certain" comments on James McClean? Very hard to make a case for leaving him out. The other James Mac at Wigan is having a very strong finish to the season too. Coleman might be one to miss out, Fahey is apparently also at risk with a recurring injury. If I had to pick the squad now it'd look like this:

Given \ Westwood \ Forde
Dunne \ O'Shea \ St Ledger \ O'Dea \ Wilson \ Kelly \ Ward \ Foley
Whelan \ Andrews \ Gibson \ McCarthy \ Duff \ McGeady \ McClean \ Fahey
Keane \ Doyle \ Long \ Walters

Trap has talked about bringing 5 strikers, I think an extra midfielder or defender would be a lot more useful, don't see 5 strikers all getting time on the pitch in the 3 games. Wilson realistically isn't going to make it though and Hunt will probably be there instead of either McCarthy or Fahey.

I see us taking seven defenders, so it looks right minus Wilson. I'd prefer to have him in there in place of either of the Wolves pair, but sadly it won't happen. The misunderstandings between Wilson and Trap need to be mediated by the FAI sharpish.
It will be five strikers. Walters can play on the wing as well and I think he's a good option to have as a utility player.
For the eight in the middle I would think it will be four centre mids and four wingers, and Fahey would count as a center mid, so out of Whelan \ Andrews \ Gibson \ McCarthy \ Fahey I see McCarthy missing out, although I do hope that his recent run of form counts for something. It sucks as I like both of them.
This makes it interesting:
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0430/1224315361252.html
So maybe if Hunt is out he goes with McClean, Fahey and McCarthy, with Fahey again a utility cover?

I am not worried that Paul Green will get a look in.
Whoever mentioned Hoolahan in the last thread is dreaming!

Where's cox? Can't see him not coming.
McCarthy has to go. He has to play, he'll really blossoming. And McClean, well... i think he and Hunt should have a fight. Winner gets on the plane.

I broadly agree with Richie/FS, my prediction, but not my favoured selection, I'd happily shoot Hunt into the sun, and I'd really love for us to have a better left back, or have one of the right back options come good and stick O'Shea over.

Given
Forde
Westwood

St Ledger
Ward
O'Shea
Dunne
O'Dea
Foley
Kelly

Glenn Whelan
Keith Andrews
Duff
McGeady
McClean
Hunt
Fahey

Doyle
Keane
Walters
Cox
Long

Maybe ahead of Fahey but Trap seems to like him more. I think McCarthy is a better player than both of them.

Well sticking my oar in here Andrews hasn't set the world on fire, Hunt is just plain awful and McCarthy has been very good but in a side that's very inconsistant, while Gibson has quietly been a major factor in Evertons resurgence since January, more than half of all our points this season have come since he's joined. I've been one of his biggest critics so I can't believe I'm saying this to be honest.

for me

Given
Forde
Westwood

St Ledger
O'Shea
Dunne
O'Dea
Foley
Kelly

Glenn Whelan
Keith Andrews
Duff
McGeady
McClean
McCarthy
Fahey
Coleman
Gibson

Doyle
Keane
Walters
Long

I've left out Ward and Hunt on the basis that if you're in a side that gets so badly over run by almost every team in the division you're probably not up to it. To be honest I haven't seen enough of Simon Cox to have an opinion.

It's 23 isn't lads? You're travelling light?

Is this what you expect, or what you hope, because ward will go, and he will start and he will not be good.

Up front looks pretty shit right now, doesn't it? Walters seems to have stopped playing since february.

Really I'm a man light? Lawerence I suppose. No one else springs to mind to be honest. Hoolihan perhaps, he could be the Theo Walcott of 2012.

I expect Richies 23 in the other thread to go, I would hope actual footballers will go rather than Hunt and the likes.

Walters and Doyle couldn't buy a goal but they do have other qualities, Crouch and Jarvis will testify to that. They play in utterly shite sides and I fear that will be painfully exposed.

On the other hand, There are very few sides in the finals that close the game down like we do, 1-0 could be enough. Portugal 2004 had the makings of a great tournament and then the ugliest team won one of the ugliest competitions probably ever.

I'm not saying we'll win but it could be that Richard Dunne is all we need to over power a series of sides that can't defend corners.

Really I'm a man light? Lawerence I suppose. No one else springs to mind to be honest. Hoolihan perhaps, he could be the Theo Walcott of 2012.

I expect Richies 23 in the other thread to go, I would hope actual footballers will go rather than Hunt and the likes.

Dude, you haven't a bull's notion. You'd bring TEN midfielders, 4 strikers and 6 defenders?! Richie omitted Cox as the fifth striker, who will definitely go. It will be 3/7/8/5.

Actually I had Coleman as a Right sided defender/midfielder. Which makes it roughly the same numbers, and as you pointed out I was a man short.

And as I already said I only picked Lawerence because I know nothing about Cox and Ward is utter shite. Once again you've jumped in with two feet and missed completely.

Admirable Fintan, I like your never let the facts get in the way of a good insult attitude.

Oh and where exactly are your 23 Fintan ?

There's a rumour going around, thanks to cryptic comments from Trap in one of his interviews a few days back, that a player who is part of the regular Ireland squad will have to miss the Euros either from injury or personal reasons, and that this might be connected to the likelihood of McClean getting a callup.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0430/1224315361252.html

If it's connected to the McClean thing, it's probably another winger.. most suggestions seem to be either Fahey or Hunt, both of those having had recent injury troubles and might need an operation after the league season. Fingers crossed it's not Duff.. there was something a few weeks back about him missing a Fulham game for personal reasons. Given the infrequency with which we qualify for anything and the year long slog to get there I'm sure nobody will be withdrawing unless it's something pretty serious.

Yeah, read it it's not concise enugh for me.

Jaysis

Given \ Westwood \ Forde
Dunne \ O'Shea \ St Ledger \ O'Dea \Kelly \ Ward \ Foley
Whelan \ Andrews \ Gibson \ Duff \ McGeady \ McClean (and two from Fahey/Hunt/McCarthy, in that order if fit)
Keane \ Doyle \ Long \ Walters\ Cox

Again, this is the team I think will go, not the team I'd take.
I think the 'personal' thing may be have been a Trap misquote, and maybe Fahey is the one out as he needs surgery in the summer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back