International women's day (1 Viewer)

Leaving aside societal pressures and all that, it is often still the case that when a couple decides to have children that the woman is the one who gives up work. Sometimes it might be because the woman is on less money, but often it's a preference. Until couples make different choices i think the situation will continue whereby women have their careers interrupted in the 30s and find it harder to catch up. I think this is som,ething that is really holding back equality at senior levels in companies.

right im gonna re state my original point (and probably draw down the wrath of every girl on here again)
i have nothing against internationals womens day.nothing.all im tryna say is try imagine the response if there was a male equivalent.see?not having a go at women or any other social group(for want of a better word)
no need to call me an ignoramus etc.
and i have read up on mens issues,cant recall the name of the book now but was basically to do with the loss of masculinity today,doesnt affect me so far as i can see....
thank you

deafmute said:
all im tryna say is try imagine the response if there was a male equivalent.

as far as feminsts and gender equality activists go, andrea dworkin would probably have a mickey fit. the rest of us.. we'd be cool.

your point being?

deafmute said:
my point being?just look at the re action to my thought on the subject,shit,id be hung from the gpo by the looks of things on here.
are you arguing that an international men's day would be a good thing or not? if you're saying it would be, then i think you've been finding a hell of a lot of support on here for your opinion.
if you're saying it wouldn't, that argument has already been pretty comprehensively dealt with.
and if you're just sitting on the fence, saying 'i don't have an opinion but just imagine what unspecified groups of people would say to it', then stop beating around the bush and (a) share your own opinion and (b) elucidate on your imaginings. because i'm imagining, and i'm imagining a positive reaction from supporters of women's day, african american history month, and so on.

my own opinion on it?well if some men wanna celebrate their masculinity by all means go ahead,i certainly dont feel the need.
and you really think there would be a favourable reaction?i came on here tongue in cheek and before i knew where i was i was getting slammed from every which way.

deafmute said:
my own opinion on it?well if some men wanna celebrate their masculinity by all means go ahead,i certainly dont feel the need.
and you really think there would be a favourable reaction?i came on here tongue in cheek and before i knew where i was i was getting slammed from every which way.
jane said:
In fact, I think an international conference on maleness and men's issues would be a genuinely useful thing for a lot of people. I am actually supporting what you are suggesting.

I certainly share her opinion, and I would imagine it's the opinion of many, if not most, feminists and gender equality activists. You've been getting shot down because you've been suggesting that neither International Women's Day, African American History Month, or a theoretical Men's Day/Month/Week would be any use. Most feminists in this day and age are pro-equality, not anti-men, and they recognise that gender issues affect both men and women. I sincerely think that most supporters of International Women's Day would be strongly in favour of something along the lines of what Jane is suggesting above.

Basic but true- women have come a long long way in Irish society but they are still not equal. Any occasion that celebrates the former and addresses the latter is a positive thing, in my opinion.

Fuck the Haters

deafmute said:
right im gonna re state my original point (and probably draw down the wrath of every girl on here again) i have nothing against internationals womens day.nothing.all im tryna say is try imagine the response if there was a male equivalent.see?not having a go at women or any other social group(for want of a better word)

also included in your original point was:

deafmute said:
all this merely reinforces divisions between us[...]giving them a special day cause theyre in a minority is just stupid.

you do have something against women's day, you think it's stupid and that it merely reinforces division. i'm not trying to be a cunt. it's just that it's this second part of your argument that people are having trouble with.

there are divisions between us and i reckon that not addressing them merely reinforces unequal power relations. saying that they're there but that they don't relate to you is a cop out in my opinion. you don't live alone as an individual untouched by society. you live in a society that has provided you with a way of understanding the world and gives your actions legitimacy. you have to live in it so like it or not you constantly have to subscribe to it's norms and common practices. even if you activly challenge the most obvious forms of oppression and inequality you still miss all the little ways in which they are played out everyday both by yourself and everyone else in a system filled with oppression and inequalities. your white male perceptions of reality are unconciously linked to racist, sexist, etc. terms of reference, as are mine. what women's day has the potential of doing is highlighting patriarchy, 'women's issues', etc. it's only by engaging with these issues that men can help to sort them out. we are half of the population after all.

!cheezy *dunchee steps down from soapbox*

La La said:
that's cos when we look down towards our feet we see breasts instead of beer bellies.

em... both you and I know that's not the case. Men and women often share both of these features.

hmmm, interesting discussion

there seems to be a lot of emphasis on the workplace, which is a big deal of course, but there are other perhaps more important issues - family, for example. Child rearing and all that.

men and women are clearly not equal. Consider this equation:

"men = women"

I would say that is NOT a valid equation. And I know I'm being fascetious, but I'm simply trying to point out that things aren't that simple. Women are on top in plenty of areas, men in others. I know plenty of men who feel aggrieved with their lot and plenty of women too. Overall though I think Irish society is reasonably healthy in this regard.

I think a women's movement in Ireland is good in that it's something that tries to help society adapt to the changes within itself, like all movements. I'm still not gonna march though. yiz bitches

broken arm said:
rebranding.
myself and potlatch were talking last night about how the punks need rebranding, like when pepsi went blue.

they need to reinforce their core competencies while leveraging their potentialities in a new paradigmatic shift.

i think this would make a good code ninja thread in eirecore.

deafmute said:
embrace big business?

embrace The Business
the%20business.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back