International women's day (1 Viewer)

mazzyianne

Website
Visit site
Does anyone celebrate it?
Should it be more of a big deal?
Was it too much of a big deal?
Did anyone do anything for it?
Just seeing what people think of it, I had a good day, went to this www.banulacht.ie and some labour youth thing my friend was speaking at. Hung out with some friends after and had a pint. Nice.

i wrote a yarn about it for the paper, just general history and wrote about some chicks in history i thought were influential - but the day itself was a bit of a non-event. there was a fundraiser on for a crisis centre that i was unable to attend but i dont know if much went on here.

deafmute said:
is there an intl mens day and if not why?
in a patriarchal society, the other 364 days of the year

Bag'o'cans said:
Polish neighbours downstairs call it 'ladies day', big in poland apparantely.
yeah, apparently the commies went pretty mad for it back in the day

mazzyianne said:
Does anyone celebrate it?
Should it be more of a big deal?
Was it too much of a big deal?
Did anyone do anything for it?
Just seeing what people think of it, I had a good day, went to this www.banulacht.ie and some labour youth thing my friend was speaking at. Hung out with some friends after and had a pint. Nice.

I was planning to go to that conference, but I couldn't make it. Too bad, too. It looked really interesting, and potentially very useful.

All I had time to do on Ladies' Day was wear a Ladyfest t-shirt.

tom. said:
yeah, apparently the commies went pretty mad for it back in the day

I was in Cuba for it a few years back and they made a real big deal of it. The place we were staying had a big party for guests and employees where a pig was roasted on a spit (yum yum!). Then later they made us dance. That was kind of embarassing.

tom. said:
in a patriarchal society, the other 364 days of the year

meh.....and whats with the womans mini marathon?
i can just imagine the response if there was a mens version....

same with gay bars/clubs,if i started a `straight` club id be shut down in the blink of an eye....

all this shit just reinforces the idea that people are different.

i know, i know

you're right of course

an outrage, isn't it

in this day and age

something must be done

you think they'd have the decency

no telling where it'll all end up

no telling

all their carrying on

sure next thing you know

loonies the lot of them

i'm going to write to my t.d.

no, i am

i, for one, am appalled

shocked, i am

shocked

aww yall didnt like that did ya?
im deadly serious though.people are people are people.all this merely reinforces divisions between us.look at national black day in the states,gay pride days all over the world...who gives a fuck what race/sexual orientation/whatever you are?judge people on their personality.giving them a special day cause theyre in a minority is just stupid.
and if there gonna be doing celebrations of all this why not white male day?
and feel free to keep derepping me btw

well, i made the original post with the intention that it would come across with a slight tongue-in-cheek tone to it, thinking that maybe you were taking the piss about all this... seeing as you're not (at least i don't think you are), i'll just leave it... suffice to say, if you can't see why what you're saying is kinda stupid, you'll probably never realise, so there's not much point trying to point anything out.

deafmute said:
im deadly serious though.people are people are people.all this merely reinforces divisions between us.look at national black day in the states,gay pride days all over the world...who gives a fuck what race/sexual orientation/whatever you are?judge people on their personality.giving them a special day cause theyre in a minority is just stupid.

National Black Day?

deafmute said:
Gay Pride Week is a blast, i wish they had MORE celebrations for MORE minorities!! every day an excuse to get fucked up.

that said, i feel your pain. i'm a white male too (err...i'm assuming you are) and it sometimes feels like we're the bad kid who got sent to their room while every other kid else gets cake and ice cream. but i think at least one of the ideas of these types of celebrations for minorities is to say to the public "c'mon, join in, us folks are just like you" and hopefully help to end bigotry and prejudice in some small way.

no im deadly serious here and i dont see the problem.im probably coming across like a sexist/racist homophobe here but im just tryna make the point that i believe were all equal so there should be no need to single groups out as being different....

and to jane,its not actually called national black day (the proper name has slipped my mind) but thats the general gist of it....

deafmute said:
no im deadly serious here and i dont see the problem.im probably coming across like a sexist/racist homophobe here but im just tryna make the point that i believe were all equal so there should be no need to single groups out as being different....

and to jane,its not actually called national black day (the proper name has slipped my mind) but thats the general gist of it....

I actually haven't a clue what you mean by 'National Black Day'. If you can't even remember what it's called, then clearly it's not important to you. So how could something so unimportant get your back up so much?

Could you maybe explain it to me?

Could you explain how it is that we are all equal? If we're really all equal, and have equal rights in all circumstances, then -- for example -- how come there is no legal recognition of same-sex relationships?

`national blackday` was just an example of what im on about.i anger easily!(and yall appear to as well getting seriously derepped here!)
as for same sex marriages etc,its just our silly catholic church influenced government blocking that.
in my ideal world everyone could do whatever they please once its not affecting others....utopian i know.
my basic point is;i couldnt care less what people are black/white/gay/straight/male/female/transgender.if yr a nice person ill judge you accordingly.

deafmute said:
`national blackday` was just an example of what im on about.i anger easily!(and yall appear to as well getting seriously derepped here!)
as for same sex marriages etc,its just our silly catholic church influenced government blocking that.
in my ideal world everyone could do whatever they please once its not affecting others....utopian i know.
my basic point is;i couldnt care less what people are black/white/gay/straight/male/female/transgender.if yr a nice person ill judge you accordingly.

Well, perhaps you might consider basing your points on an actual argument, rather than making it up and suggesting it's someone else's responsibility to figure out what you really meant.

It isn't the government alone blocking gay marriage. And when people don't have equal rights, they are not EQUAL, even if you can point to an overly simplistic explanation and state so flippantly that it doesn't even look like you believe it yourself.

The existence of International Women's Day, Gay Pride, and....um....I can't actually think of any others...oh, wait, there's "National Black Day" (how could I forget this fascinating yet elusive holiday!?) do not have anything to do with accusing you or anyone else of discrimination. It's about being able to understand that our race, class, gender, religion, nationality, and all sorts of factors, are part of how we see the world. I'm not going to go into details because I think you're just going to sit there and prefer to sit in blind ignorance behind a nonexistent argument, but so, well, you don't care that I'm a woman? Well, is it okay if I care that I'm a woman?

Anyway, if you wanted to hold an international white men's day, why haven't you?

damn i knew id come across wrong here....
my point is,yeah yr a woman,mr x over there is black and the bloke beside him is gay.fair enough,its not any of my business so dont shove it in my face,see?
and as for white mans day,id start one but why?im a white male,so what..

deafmute said:
edit;its actually black history month i was referring to.
apologies

Black History Month? You think that's a problem? You have a problem with the fact that the majority of black people in the US are descended from people whose origins will NEVER BE KNOWN? Given how important it is to American identity to know your 'roots', people who are descended from slavery are automatically shut out of a large part of what defines American identity. People who look at a diverse picture of the historical past are not trying to take away your history, they are trying to re-frame what that history is, and how it relates to the present, so that everyone can have a part in it. And if everyone doesn't have a part in it, we are not equal.

Until recently, history was taught as if black people didn't do anything at all, ever, except what their owners said. People who adhered to the old tenets of history as the achievements of 'great men' (I'm not pulling this out of thin air -- it is actually a recognised school of historical thought) actually refused -- refused! -- to mention black people at all, except to say that they were nameless slaves.

If you care to know, it is because of things like Black History Month that people were spurred on to find out more, to look at things like the archaeological record, which has told us a very different story about things like slavery and oppression, that people were captives, they were kept as property, and they were treated as such. And yet they did have social agency -- they did not see themselves as nameless or faceless, despite historians' assertions that this was so. Until about 20 years ago, the northern states proudly asserted that slavery never existed there. And then this was discovered: http://www.archaeology.org/online/interviews/blakey/. I'll tell you what, why don't you write to Michael Blakey about your feelings on Black History Month. As one of the only black people in the US who has been able -- by working ten times as hard as a white man of similar background -- to achieve prominence in his own field, he might tell a different story. Why don't you write to him and tell him he's equal? He'd really appreciate that.

Black History Month may not be relevant to you, but it is relevant to millions of people. If you think it's so lame and stupid, then maybe you should just ignore it. Maybe you should find out what it is you're talking about before you go running your mouth about 'National Black Day'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back