'Inland Empire' (3 Viewers)

Nate Champion

The new David Lynch film - should be out at the end of the year!
The four castings I've heard is interesting - Laura Dern, Justin Theroux, Jeremy Irons and my all-time hero Harry Dean Stanton. It's a mystery.
The potential of Jeremy Irons in a David Lynch film is making my body seize up.

Ah, there was probably something about this here already. You're all so damn sharp, the lot a yis!

Don't think it's been mentioned here before. I'm looking forward to it. Oh yes indeed.

well,everything seems to be in perfect david lynch working order from that minute of trailer.

woah! stop the press. man makes most indepth analysis of film ever.

Man uses sarcasm on internet!

Mea Culpa. Got side-track'd with Babel.

All this widely extravant praise for a director who hasn't made a significant film since Blue Velvet 20 years ago. The problem with the inarticulate Lynch is that he confuses obscurity with profundity. If you want to watch a film by a real weirdo then I recommend the films of Thai director Apichatpong Weerasethakul. Anyway, compared with directors of the Far East, and still Europe to a certain extent, America has made little contribution to the art of cinema for many years now. However, newspapers & the like still give predominance to American movies and people hyperbolate when they hear the passing name of David Lynch.

I'm not part of the Lynch mob. :)

I'm not part of the Lynch mob. :)

nice touch.

i disagree. lynch has a phenomenal impact on bringing abstract cinema to a wider american (and worldwide) audience - lost highway is a stunning piece of work for a storyline conceived from a dream, eraserhead is an inspirational piece of filmmaking, and mulholland drive for that spanish operatic version of 'crying' is worth it alone.

i think if anything lynch deserves praise for being consistent in his altered depiction of the darker side of humanity - greed, lust, power, jealousy, rage, debauchery and everything else besides. and he's never made any pretensions to be being better than any other director at abstract cinema but he does certainly fly the flag to say that something other than big budget gung ho america saves the world shlock comes out of the U S of A.

The problem with the inarticulate Lynch is that he confuses obscurity with profundity.

I don't think Lynch is ever trying to be profound. He's just trying to tell a story. Sure, there are common themes like the dangers of money and power and the seedy American underworld. But I don't think he's trying to pass comment on them. They are just settings for his movies.

What I like most about Lynch is his economical way of doing things. Everything is stripped down to its bare minimum in order to tell the story. The dialogue is very direct. The sets are very bare with all props there for a reason, serving a purpose. When he uses imagery and symbols, its because its more economical to tell the story that way, than to spell out every last thing.

When I'm watching one of his movies, no matter how obscure things get, I always get the impression that there is some order to the chaos and that I'm watching something with a very strong integrity.

I think Lynch has been living in a cave for the last 20 years. An obscure, over-indulgent pretentious cave of his own making, only to come out into the light for A Straight Story, which, though minor, was cleverly anti-American in that it was about a man not using a car and going very SLOWLY. He has never equalled the twin peaks of Eraserhead and Blue Velvet, and has gone down hill since. The fact that he supported the war in Iraq has absolutely nothing to do with my view of his films, though I can't help feeling negative about the man.

That's not strictly true. He wants it distributed on his terms and to be shown in cinemas that he approves of.

Apparently he's finding it difficult to get distribution. He's driving around the US with the print in his car to any cinema that wants to show it.

That's not strictly true. He wants it distributed on his terms and to be shown in cinemas that he approves of.

Jesus Wilbert, you haven't been teaching your pupils such whopping falsities have you???

If you have, then may God have mercy on us all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back