In defence of hipsters (1 Viewer)

On this 'fashion' thing

Recently I saw a gang of school age girls wearing biker jackets and skinny jeans

Cool! I thought, these kids are into classic thrash metal! Never thought I'd see the day!

Later I realised they were just copying whoever is in the charts and the clothes signify nothing

No harm to them, this is what kids have always done, but I was disappointed at the world again

Sure, I dressed up myself. We all want to be a part of this undifferentiated ego mass, or at least one that will have us. It's normal. But these hipsters aren't kids, that's the first thing, and the second thing is that all the other kids who dressed like I did, liked the things I did: the Cure, being miserable, Pernod and the like. Hipsters, or at least this iteration of them, seem to be into consumerism and the only thing they've offered culture is infographics.

Now I have a bear and like pork as much as the next man, but I have a philosophy. Fair enough, it's mostly predicated on hatred of young people, but it's a manifesto I think a lot of us can get behind.

Later I realised they were just copying whoever is in the charts and the clothes signify nothing

I think that might be exactly what it signifies. The old tribes don't seem to exist anything as much like they used to.

Everything's up for grabs. Everything that has come before is all in a lucky bag for them to play to with.
It's the only legacy they have.

I think there should be a law. If you can't recite the back catalogue of the band on your t-shirt, you should be beaten with a stick.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yeah, well spotted. All us hipsters have bears now. The newest look is Russian circus master, circa 1912.

When did most of us grow up? 80s? 90s? Back then like it or not you got defined publicly by the music you were into. Maybe it's because it took more/some investment. But there were gangs and types everywhere. Just like music barriers and that have gone and music is "free" people are less likely to stick with types. It's great.
Hipsters are the now version of rockers, goths, skins etc. put all the different fashions together and you're left with skinny jeans, left over from metal. Fancy javkets, from mods.. Biker beards, and so on.
Most of all, who cares? At least they're not scumbags.

Scumbags meaning poor people?
Oh, well done. Social commentary. Poor people. Like that's s demographic in these austere times. I think he means the kind of pricks who'd mug you in the street, or roam about in gangs looking for trouble. They weren't poor. For example, they had all my Walkmen.

Poor people. What does that even mean? For fuck sake. You need to go out on your yacht and have a think about that.

I dislike the term 'scumbags' intensely, because it generally seems to be a catch all term for people that look a certain way or are from a particular part of town, rather than a descriptor of behaviour.

Surely scumbags would include tennis pros that kick your head in on Grafton St and boys from good homes that beat you to death outside Annabel's?

While we're at it. Denis O'Brien is a scumbag, Michael Lowry is a scumbag, Seanie Fitz is a scumbag.
To my way of thinking anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back