In defence of hipsters (3 Viewers)

I'm so bored by internet outrage.
images

I'm starting to like the Horrors. When the I first hear them I thought they were just the worst type of hipster hair cut band. Probably a justified opinion. Total style over substance, but that's okay.

040-the-horrors.jpg

Oh to be young and pretentious.

I'm starting to like the Horrors. When the I first hear them I thought they were just the worst type of hipster hair cut band. Probably a justified opinion. Total style over substance, but that's okay.

040-the-horrors.jpg

Oh to be young and pretentious.

I miss the Horrors who weren't trying so very hard to be MBV. Strange House was great!

In fairness so was Primary Colours but the last two just seem to be more of the same.

Skying is the one I like
I gave it a shot but it sounded to me like a duller version of Primary Colours. It certainly wasn't bad but I'd already had enough of that kind of thing from them. Sea Within in a Sea though, what a tune:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'd sooner have this carry on than that other stuff

I saw them on Jools Holland recently and I thought it was like the Human League or something

Bloody hell...I've just scanned a few songs on youtube..these guys need to be added to the "Bands that changed their sound" thread

I like that they look like a band, rather than some programmers on their lunch. Also, don't hate that sound. I too thought they were sub-Jet wank at one stage. HMMM. Must I reconsider all my prejudices?

I gave it a shot but it sounded to me like a duller version of Primary Colours. It certainly wasn't bad but I'd already had enough of that kind of thing from them. Sea Within in a Sea though, what a tune:

I liked their second album, whichever one that way

i hate the horrors and the ersatz, public school psych movement they spawned which is still the prevalent genre of music in london today. it's so shit!. chuck a rock in any direction and you're bound to hit some emaciated prick in winkle pickers, a tassled suede jacket and giant hair carrying battered guitar cases. just look at these pricks.

temples
2013EMTemples_089080113.jpg

toy
2012TOYDD310112.jpg

telegram
8646_464292990326985_926553786_n.jpg

they all came in the wake of/are mates with the horrors. i've seen them all live and they all suck. there's countless other bands in london with large trust funds, immaculate vintage clothes, cool drug habits and zero original ideas. it's pretty depressing. i place blame on the horrors (and brian jonestown massacre).

Just skipped through the album and as a passing fan of 60s psychedilic rock it ticks the boxes

But it's odd seeing this sort of thing being treated as contemporary music. I have no beef with it apart from that.

Just skipped through the album and as a passing fan of 60s psychedilic rock it ticks the boxes

But it's odd seeing this sort of thing being treated as contemporary music. I have no beef with it apart from that.

They are tremendously wealthy though. It can be kind of disheartening to see rich kids being the only ones who can afford to get a band together. It's a whole debate they've been having for a few years:

Let’s talk about class | 33revolutionsperminute's Blog

I dunno. I like Vampire Weekend for example and they're all rich kids. But at least they write snarky lyrics about the rich US college kid experience.

Nicky Wire of Manic Street Preachers – one of the last truly working-class bands to break through – said it best: ‘Music shouldn’t be a gap year.’ Right now, that’s precisely what it’s become.

whatever your opinion on the manics is, it's worth thinking about

I hear you. I shouldn't begrudge but..

I was in a pub where a collective of musicians were playing--all in their early twenties. They had all sorts of amazing, and expensive instruments and none of them had a proper job as far as I know. Nice for some ( I thought, bitterly)

People here seem to inexplicably like Kula Shaker too

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back