In defence of hipsters (3 Viewers)

thank god she didn't say white too
I wonder how many of the people berating Harbo work in city centre retail?

Or have had a gun / knife in their face with a guy shouting "give me the fucking money. NOW".

I'd value their input at lot more than the privileged excuse-makers who seem to believe in selective personal responsibility.

As a passive observer, I don't really have a position on this. But tbf, Harbo didn't say anything about them either, did he? He was worried about his status-symbol bike getting nicked. You are so contrary sometimes nlgbbbblth I love it.

I wonder how many of the people berating Harbo work in city centre retail?

Or have had a gun / knife in their face with a guy shouting "give me the fucking money. NOW".

I'd value their input at lot more than the privileged excuse-makers who seem to believe in selective personal responsibility.

I push back against this guy because it's apparently inconveniencing him that the city isn't all one big start up circle jerk.

And when poor people aren't annoying him, well why not have a good laugh at them?
An incredible Italian Restaurant on the North Strand - Di Mimmo

Harbo - Loves Dublin, wishes it was fucking Berlin though.

This post is where I am coming from.

Minor complaints thread

There's been a few violent assaults reported in the media recently.
One thing I've noticed [and I presume I'm not alone in this]
Very few people (friends or otherwise) will defend attacks like this* on various social media platforms. And rightfully so because they are indefensible.

* attacks carried out by under-privileged youths on anybody.

A sizeable percentage of people [I am particularly referring to my Facebook news feed which mostly consists of "liberal" folk] are equally conspicuous by their absence i.e. they won't condemn it either. They'll say nothing.

However if there's a report of a court case / attack etc that involves a perpetrator from a well-off background [or a "nice family"] then they're out of the woodwork with digs about class bias etc.

I don't like it.

Wow, we have vastly different FB feeds.

Mine is full of people calling people 'skangers' and 'scrotes'.

Nggly is the only sound person who works in Irish banking.

He's a what???!!!

s3hz.jpg

selective personal responsibility.

I guess another way of thinking about who is made responsible for things in society would be to take a random sample of the prison population and work out along class lines who is over or under-represented there. This might provide evidence to contend, as many do, that you are far more likely to be held personally responsible and punished depending on your social situation.

The invention of professionalism in the modern age is defined by the separation of private person from public office, so even though 'bankers' manage to fuck up the world economy, it's not possible to assign personal responsibilty and send them to prison.

There is nothing inherently 'civilised' about this, it's a bit of a random evolutionary result. In Rome, for instance, such separation was not recognised, though obviously Roman society was far less differentiated than contemporary world society. But while it's probabl a condition of developing an advanced economy, it's not a morally 'better' situation to be in.

Morally and politically, the perceived disjunction created by 'selective personal responsibility' exists, but not in the way you put it. Rather, people are fucking raging that, thanks to 'systemic' problems and the separation of person from office, professional bankers can not only walk away from disaster with their jobs and money intact and their hands clean, but that they can also turn around and make offensively stupid moral judgements on people who are already in a structurally limited position in society, as though they are all morally equivalent, and then use those moral arguments to do things like cut benefits, take away social support for disabled people, force young people and unemployed people to work for free for corporations (the moral worth of work myth), give tax relief to high income, allow tax loopholes for capital gains, etc etc.

Not saying that's you. But your moral equivalences are pretty shaky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back