Imported amp Voltage issue? (1 Viewer)

Colin

Website
Visit site
Hi
Has anybody imported an amplifier from the states?
Wondering about the Voltage compatibility issue, is it a big problem to sort out?
Amp in question is an Ampeg Bass Head VST Pro 3.
Any advice appreciated.

You'll need a step-down transformer. That converts 220v from your wall socket to 110v. There are two things to watch out for:

1. Make sure the step down transformer can handle the power consumption of the amp. With an 4 ohm speaker cab an SVT pro 3 can give out 450 watts of power and at 8 ohms it'll give out 275 watts. So the transformer's wattage will have to be higher than the maximum watts the amp can deliver. Your probably looking at a 600 watt transformer with the 4 ohm cab just to be safe. If you use a lower wattage the transformer will fry and could possibly damage the amp.

2. Make sure it's earthed. A lot of American gear comes with two prong mains plugs. Make sure you get a three prong American mains lead with the amp if it's hardwired.

You can get the tranformers from Peats or Radionics.

Cheers for that,
one other thing, do you know anything about a difference in frequency between the US and here, i read a post on the power issue warning that 50Hz - 60Hz might be a problem too. Do you know anything about this?

It'll only be an issue if you get a dodgy transformer. The transformer's job is to change the cycle rate as well as the voltage. If you try and run gear at the wrong rate it'll burn the transformer out. Since everything here runs at 220~240v 50hz I'm sure the transformer will be the right one if you buy it here.
Just remember to buy quality.

I checked the Peats and Radionics web sites for something suitable, both sites have ones for about €100 but the radionics site warned that this transformer device has no effect on frequency, I checked a few american websites, and saw one two way version (American to European and European to American) 500W for only $30, some difference in price!

http://www.220voltappliances.com/itemdesc.asp?CartId={634EVEREST30196-7C6E-4820-80AB-A7AD6FB52400}&ic=VC500W&eq=&Tp=

Can't find anything that mentions having a frequency conversion feature too! :confused:

That looks like your man but I'd probably go for the 750 watt version as the output I quoted up above is the RMS or the average output of the Amp. The Peak output value could be twice the RMS value. I doubt if you'll be playing the Amp cranked all the way to the top so 750 watt should be enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back