I'm Going Back to College! (3 Viewers)

CinnamonBoy

I got offered a place in UCD. Arts. Fucking yes. Anybody do this kind of thing at this age? I'm kinda scared about it. But absolutely delighted at the same time. :)

Fair play to ya..I don't know how old ya are but my other half went back to college at 23..He's two years through it now and loves it..Plus he's doing amazingly well so I get to be super proud girlfriend as well as getting to see him doing something he loves..everyone's a winner!:)

Good luck with it!

Thank you! I did Arts originally but I got international arts with german which i hated so i dropped out after a year. I've been working poxy jobs for the last 6 years. I'm 26 now. I want to be a teacher. I'm so happy it's unreal. I've also drank 6 pints today.:) Back of the net.

Thank you! I did Arts originally but I got international arts with german which i hated so i dropped out after a year. I've been working poxy jobs for the last 6 years. I'm 26 now. I want to be a teacher. I'm so happy it's unreal. I've also drank 6 pints today.:) Back of the net.
Fair play man. 26 myself & I started back last year. Same boat as yourself. Dropped out first time round and got fed up with crummy jobs & whatnot. I'm going at nights which I thought would be a lot tougher than it actually is. Doing film, literature & drama in DBS. Kind of looking for work in production companies at the moment but they're few and far between if you don't have experience or know people. But yeah, stick with it man. You won't regret it.
.|..|

Henpest - Keep your eye on IFTN.ie/jobs. Theres not much on there at the mo but all of the independent production companies post ads there from Hummingbird to Setanta and often for casual part timers in college which is a great foot in the door way of doing things :)

*edit - and these guys too

www.productionpeople.ie

I started out as a runner for them during college which basically lead to my job in TV so they're worth sending your CV to aswell.

Henpest - Keep your eye on IFTN.ie/jobs. theres not much on there at the mo but all of the independent production companies post ads there from Hummingbird to Setanta and often for casual part timers in college which is a great foot in the door way of doing things :)
cheers for the info benni. i've heard that's a good place to start. it's a tough industry to get into, especially if you're a little bit older, i.e. expect to be doing scut work for pittance for a few years. i'll not be deterred though.

there's a fantastic Rodney Dangerfield documentary all about going back to college as a mature student called "Back to School"

pretty sure they have it in lazer - well worth watching

back_to_school.jpg

I started my degree at 24 - I had dropped out of secondary school, a year out from education turned into 5 years out before I knew it. So I had to do some evening classes first to get me up to speed again.

I regret some of the course choices I made, but I definitely don't regret leaving it til my mid-20s to study full-time at 3rd level. If I'd gone to college at 18 I would have been too busy being 18 to do my coursework any justice. Most of the mature students in my class did really well. Knock 'em dead!

I got offered a place in UCD. Arts. Fucking yes. Anybody do this kind of thing at this age? I'm kinda scared about it. But absolutely delighted at the same time. :)

I;m 26 and heading into my second year of Psychology. you'll love it! You'll get so much more out of it than you would have if you were heading in as a clueless 18 -19 year old (although some of them are ridiculously focused and kind of scary- intelligent). I'm a total nerd now, wheras I probably would have just been drunk the whole time had I gone a few years earlier.
As well as that you really appreciate all the facilities, like free dark rooms, gym etc etc...Congrats you've got some good times ahead:)

I started Arts at 25 and it is absolutely great. Having a bit of life experience and general cop-on is invaluable and a college is always an exciting world of opportunities. The mature students are the ones who have a bit of craic with the lecturers and also irritate them with all the tough questions.

You should definitely think about the social welfare's bizarre back to education allowance thing. It is ridiculously lucrative - you'll be out at gigs every night as your fellow students sob into their baked beans. It's year on the dole for three years of free money, but if your community welfare officer is your mate they might have a loose notion of what a year actually is. And don't feel bad about taking the moolah - it's all part of the government's crazy/genius plan to reward people like you who study late.

You should definitely think about the social welfare's bizarre back to education allowance thing.

Yup, I did that too, the non-mature students hated us for it! :p And my friends in England who are crippled with student loans hate me even more!

It did ease the pressure of leaving the grown-up world a lot. I only had to go on the dole for 9 months.

I went back to college aged 32 to study Arts.
After a year and a bit of studying (and partying!) hard, the grim reality of life began to crush me. For all the wonderful things that History and Philosophy taught me, I realised that there was a total worthlessness to what I was doing.

After accepting that I was doing the wrong after a session with a the campus priest, I decided to leave.
Unfortunately the debts I accumulated were crippling, leaving me bankrupt.

All I had left was my cat, Cattikins. Who then died. From fire.

Standing outside the local student pub, drenched in cold February rain, I tried to remember something positive. And I couldn't. For all the analysis and reading I had immersed myself in had deconstructed everything I held valuable.

All I had for comfort and warmth was the embers of my dying cat, Cattikins.

A teenager offered me a traffic cone in a gesture of bonhomie. But not even that could hold my tears. My. Tears. My. Beautiful. Tears.

My mate went back when he was 25 to do Arts in UCD. He is now still there on the PHD programme. He was afraid that he would be too old to enjoy college life but he got right into it and had a ball!Congratulations, you will have a deadly time I'm sure.

Getting 17 & 18 year olds to make life decisions always seemed a bit silly to me. In your 20's is probably the right to go to collage. Having said that..........

C_71_article_1002687_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

I fooookin' hate stuudents

Thanks for all the encouragment guys. Not exactly feeling up to the task today due to a ferocious hangover but very very excited about telling my boss in work tomorrow. That's had me smiling all day.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back