if this is true, tis mighty cool (1 Viewer)

I was surprised to learn that the Irish word for cock was "bod". Mind you, it makes a lot of sense when you consider that little baldy lad that used to be on BBC children's TV.

He was a bit of penis, in all fairity.

hag (08 Jan, 2002 04:17 p.m.):
is aoibheann leat cock, a stubhart! shea! cock a duirt me!

And I suppose the little girl in the yellow jumper who drowned 'cos she went too close to the edge and 'cos the twig her father used wasn't long enough was your sister, yeah?

Pantone247 (08 Jan, 2002 04:23 p.m.):
Anne O'Malley (08 Jan, 2002 03:34 p.m.):
That's true. And an old bloke can drown by falling head first into a barrel, as RTE pointed out in the classic 70s public information film "Where's Grandad?".

the aul lad in that advert was my Grandad

so FUCK YOU ALL!!!!!!

were you also kin to the farmer kid who fell
into the barrel of water?

'twas from the third chilling installment
in the water safety saga

that was the scariest one

rothko (08 Jan, 2002 04:57 p.m.):

in the water safety saga

Remember the other Irish water safety ad. A family are seen going to the beach, someone goes swimming and drowns. The lifeguard fails to resucitate and shakes his head. The solemn voiceover says "Some trips end in tragedy". They then put a blanket over the dead body,

Creepy stuff.

The Play Safe Public Information film was class too - guys flying kites and frisbees into pylons and then climbing up them to retrieve them.

RTE should do their own version of I Love The 70s/80s and show all that kind of stuff.

Free A Nipper.

The pylon was really scary. The last shot was of a kid with 70s hair and fur-collared jacket falling backwards out of shot as he gets electrocuted. As a kid, that used to scare the short pants off me. Imagine what it would do now...

By the way, "Free a nipper" is scary for all the wrong reasons.

nlgbbbblth (08 Jan, 2002 07:12 p.m.):
rothko (08 Jan, 2002 04:57 p.m.):

in the water safety saga

Remember the other Irish water safety ad. A family are seen going to the beach, someone goes swimming and drowns. The lifeguard fails to resucitate and shakes his head. The solemn voiceover says "Some trips end in tragedy". They then put a blanket over the dead body,

Creepy stuff.

The Play Safe Public Information film was class too - guys flying kites and frisbees into pylons and then climbing up them to retrieve them.

RTE should do their own version of I Love The 70s/80s and show all that kind of stuff.

Free A Nipper.

"And you don't have to go as far as the middle east to hear wonky voices with lots of wild vibrato and micro tones- just switch on Radio na Gaeltachta and wait for some sean-nós."

has anyone else heard the theory that some irish people are not celtic at all but arabic, and came here in the ice age, and that sean-nos is supposedly part of the body of evidence substantiating this. honestly, i am not making this up.

The ark of the covenant is supposed to be buried under the mound of hostages in the Hill of Tara, according to archaelogist loony, John Hill. It was apparently sneaked over here along with Tea, a close descendant of King David of Israel who married an Irish King yonks ago.There is evidence to suggest that the hill of Tara is the final resting place of the ark... what follows is an extract from an article a buddy of mine wrote:

He is not the first to think that the Ark is buried at Tara. Sometime between 1899 and 1902 a group of explorers called the British Israelites excavated for a week at an area on the Hill of Tara known as the Rath of the Synods in search of the treasure. They found only Roman coins and left the area brutally scarred, which annoyed many nationalists at the time.
John came over to Ireland and resided in Kells nearly three years ago and managed to obtain a copy of the Dinnshenchas and after studying it he claims that it has been brushed ignorantly aside as a book of myth and folklore and in doing so undermining the brilliance and importance of ancient Ireland. By combining many references from Dinnshenchas and other sources leading the birthplace of the ancient Queen Tephi to Jerusalem as daughter of King Zedikiah who protected the Ark of the covenant, he has established that:
1/ Queen Tephi of Ireland was buried south of the Rath of the Synods and north-east of The Foradh at the hill of Tara which locates her at the Mound of Hostages.
2/ “That a mound was buried over Tephi, measuring 62 feet by 62 feet”. This measurement is repeated in a poem written by Cu O Cochlain in 1024AD who also says of her grand tomb “It contained the grand, the great mergech”, which is a resting place for treasure.
3/ That her mergech (resting place of treasure) “is the secret resting place of the way of life”(the Ark of the Covenant in the Bible).
4/That a burial chamber was built and buried beneath the Mound of the Hostages by Eochaidh Mac Duach (Eirimon).
The Mound of the Hostages was extensively excavated during the 20th century and no such tomb was found but John says this is because they never dug beneath the mound.

Absolutely stark raving mad. Thoroughly under the influence of the screaming ab-dabs, that bloke.

... implying that the Irish bloodline was watered down by the middle east at some point.... that's why I said all that stuff...

Friend of my brothers reckoned Arabs and Irish had some join waaay back too. Apparently we have a word in Irish for God thats the same as the Arabic. I'm not sure if its Iosa or Dia or what, but when I heard it, it sounded the same. I know that sounds a bit weak but sure there you go, maybe someone else has heard of that one.

Cue some smartass to now start posting up other TRUE facts like - 'You can cut glass with a knife - but it HAS to be underwater!!..''

silo (08 Jan, 2002 11:33 p.m.):
"And you don't have to go as far as the middle east to hear wonky voices with lots of wild vibrato and micro tones- just switch on Radio na Gaeltachta and wait for some sean-nós."

has anyone else heard the theory that some irish people are not celtic at all but arabic, and came here in the ice age, and that sean-nos is supposedly part of the body of evidence substantiating this. honestly, i am not making this up.

Yeah there was a whole series on the origins of sean-nós on TG4 a while back. And it was mostly about the similarities between middle-eastern trad. singing and sean-nó. The path was only the person I know who actually watched any of it though.

Naaw, I watched it too.
They played some Arabic calls-to-prayer to a sean-nos dude and he said, "Yup, them boys is singing alright".
Also, they have the same kind of sailing boats in the west of Ireland as they do in Egypt, the ones with the lateen sail. Galway and other westerly ports were on a trade route that stretched from North Africa to Scotland it seems, and some of the Mediterranean travellers left some music and genes behind them.

The arc of the covenant is held in a Coptic church in Ethiopia.

The arc of the covenant, of course, being just one small section of the long lost circle of the covenant.

*ahem*

now for the science bit,
let's see if i can sum this up....
equal temperament (as used in pianos guitars and other instruments with fixed tones) was developed so as to able to change the key of the music. if you used a tuning system based on the actual partials of a keynote you'd need a different piano for every key you wanted to play in. virtuoso violinists, for example have to adjust their perfect pitch to fit into an orchestral setting. even within one octave there is disparity; if the violinist plays up to the major sixth from the root and then plays down a third from the octave they should hit the same note but in fact they are noticeably different.

for those who play guitar: the 'forced' harmonics that you can get on the 12th, 7th, and 5th frets are the first three partials of the string; the partials, as they get higher start to sound out of tune to western ears. changing key has pretty much only ever been an issue in western music, hence, the apparent out-of-tuneness of music from around the globe.

check out glenn branca's symphony no. 3 for an army of guitars and organs making ferocious clouds of just intoned harmony, yum!

also any kind of overtone singing is full of it: huun huur tu; gyuto monks; sainkho namtchylak; yat-kha

etc...

All this begs a question: why does western music need to change key?

(And I'm not talking about the theme to "The Magnificent Seven" this time.)

chickenham (09 Jan, 2002 02:31 p.m.):
now for the science bit,
let's see if i can sum this up....
equal temperament (as used in pianos guitars and other instruments with fixed tones) was developed so as to able to change the key of the music. if you used a tuning system based on the actual partials of a keynote you'd need a different piano for every key you wanted to play in. virtuoso violinists, for example have to adjust their perfect pitch to fit into an orchestral setting. even within one octave there is disparity; if the violinist plays up to the major sixth from the root and then plays down a third from the octave they should hit the same note but in fact they are noticeably different.

for those who play guitar: the 'forced' harmonics that you can get on the 12th, 7th, and 5th frets are the first three partials of the string; the partials, as they get higher start to sound out of tune to western ears. changing key has pretty much only ever been an issue in western music, hence, the apparent out-of-tuneness of music from around the globe.

check out glenn branca's symphony no. 3 for an army of guitars and organs making ferocious clouds of just intoned harmony, yum!

also any kind of overtone singing is full of it: huun huur tu; gyuto monks; sainkho namtchylak; yat-kha

etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back